SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all,

I've done my three reviews and learned so much that I'll be doing more, just for the fun of it.

I'd like to get input on any and all aspects of the Galloping Globe Gallery at www.adinet.net/Globe_HTML - It will be moved to GallopingGlobeGallery.com soon, but I'll put redirects in place.

Stats since opening are at: http://www.sitemeter.com/stats.asp?site=adiglobes
    and more complete stats for the past 6 weeks are at: http://www.webtrendslive.com/report/...4976&public=on

I'm looking for suggestions on:
    * general design
    * technical aspects
    * marketing/promotion
    * cross-browser compatability
    * usability
    * plus anything else that comes to mind

Please don't waste any time on the adinet.net site itself - it's over 18 months old and a bit neglected. It will be redone shortly....

Thanks,
    Bill

------------------
    Bill Todd
    webmaster@adinet.net
    www.adinet.net

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~~~ This site is Approved ~~~

Too many animated gifs.. The spinning globe buttons and logo are totally unnecessary and unprofessional in my opinion. Also you don't need a new graphic for every link on a "New Additions" page. The graphic is so small that it is more annoying than useful. I could barely read the word NEW on them.

Needs content besides the graphics. Maybe some tutorials or something similar. Needs a terms of use.

I have really good eyes and your buttons are very hard to read. Think of someone with bad eyes. You need to have text with a lot more contrast. Try White.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very difficult to read - especially the frame blurb at the top.

I kind of like the globe centrepiece, but it doesn't really do much...

Here are some other comments

1)Fast laoding
    2)Anything other than blue links damages your site's usability. I know blue on black ain't great, but I didn't think caramel on black was much better.
    3)As already stated there is way too much animation on the first info page. get rid of the navigation ones for starters.
    4)Under the "Want a globe" bit you have a paragraph of right justfied text - I don't know if it was intentional or not, but it looks kinds wonky
    5)You have too many kinds of text links, big fonts, small fonts, bold fonts, normal fonts, this will only confuse the user
    6)I thought the background was OK
    7)I thought the "galloping globe gallery" graphic on the top left would link back to home but it doesn't - users will expect it to.
    Hope some of this helps
    Dr Gonzo

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems to me there is no use for the "next prev top" links. Visitors will just scroll through the table until they find the animation they were looking for, and using page anchors will only confuse them. The "go to the top" link is more useful, but not much (personally, I hate anchor links, mostly because they also stick in your back-button-history).

It might not be neceserry to announce that your site had 20,169 visitors before you switched to Webtrends Live *on every page*.

There is little use for an "entrance" link in the left bar. The first page provides a gate to the frames and non-frames version, but those are also accessible from the same link menu. If people want to return to the beginning so desperately, they would probably enter the original URL again. I would change "SiteSearch" to "Search".

Your site makes good use of frames. They really help browsing the material easier. And it's thoughtful of you to provide a non-frames version.

The most surprising thing to me was that there is a website specialized in animated gifs of rotating globes. You've got a *very* specific topic, which can be very good!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first reaction when i entered your no-frames page was the fact that there are way too many things moving at the top of the page.
    The navigation graphics are a little blurry so it is very hard to read them.
    Also, i've never been a fan of the backgrounds that don't move but the text does. I think it makes the web page look cheaper.

Cody, http://www.bigscripts.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the input and ideas so far. I got off to a good start implementing your suggestions and then got side-tracked looking for a solution to the anchors problem mentioned by maximar "(personally, I hate anchor links, mostly because they also stick in your back-button-history)".

That's solved now. I wrote a set of JavaScript routines that work in both the frames and non-frames version in IE, NS and Opera.

I'm now making good progess and the site is rapidly becoming much cleaner. I should have something up at the server early this week.

Thanks again, Bill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do u actually need the first Enterance page..see if u can make do without it.

Also since u r providing GIFs @ your site, try and remove any extra GIfs on the pages, since they make a loading a little cubersome.

Otherwise the color combi is good and the font could in the Nav. Menu could do with a little larger size.

Hope this helps.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The graphics seem to be choppy/blury and there are way to many animated gifs and some of them are the same as another one on the page or very similiar. The text is kinda hard to read at the top.

------------------
    http://www.bgresource.com magelord@gametake.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've incorporated most of your suggestions and the site does look much better. As I've been making the changes I noticed my average page views per vist go from 6 to 10 so your ideas really helped!

Specifically here's the action I took on what you each suggested:

wluke
    Fewer graphics, probably still more than you prefer, but it is an animated gif site. Added a lot more contrast in the buttons and links. More content (tutorials) will be forthcoming but I've got a large backlog of sites to build for clients right now.

Dr Gonzo
    Opening page moved to flash animation section - Home is now the categories page. Changed link colors to default values on all light color pages. Still working on the right colors for the dark pages. Left the 'want your own globe?' text right-justified (my girlfriend likes it - I'm sure you understand...). Made almost all the links the same font/size/no bold - that REALLY helped!! The "galloping globe gallery" graphic now links back to home.

maximar
    I left the "next/prev/top" links on the Originals page, but dumped it everywhere else. The second counter is still active, counting total visits since opening - I could make it just a little graphic box, but I really like the total count. And I don't trust WebTrendsLive yet - their Time Zone counts seem very off and you can't make it ignore your own visits. But the rest of the info is great so I'm using two counters... I dropped the link to the entrance even before I dropped the entrance page. And I also shortened all the link names to one word. Thanks for the kind words on the frames - I'm very suprised that fewer than 10% of the visitors even try them (and the frames version has NO BANNERS!!) The specific topic seems to be working well - I've picked up quite a few logo design jobs from it.

bigscripts
    Dropped a lot of graphics. Cleaned up the navigation stuff with the added contrast. As far as the background remaining static while the rest of the page moves - my girlfriend likes it and she's definitely NOT cheap!!

webguru
    Dropped the entrance page. Dropped a lot of animated gifs (you and all the other were right - too much dancing bologna). Bumped up menu font sizes.

bgresource.com
    I dropped quite a few globes that looked similar to one another. I not sure which graphics you're talking about being "choppy/blurry".

Again, thanks to all of you to take the time to look and make very good suggestions.