SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: YoungDevelopers

JavaScript Guru (Big Ego) Arielladog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a site that me and 4-5 other people have been working on for a while now. We finally finished our design and stuff. I wanted opinions.

We know the color-scheme might be a bit "off the wall" for some of you old ones, but we think younger people (including us) will like it.

Just want to know on what you think of the design, good or bad, and what you think of the whole concept of doing this?

We haven't picked a wehost yet, but we will soon be www.youngdevelopers.com , but for now we are here:
    http://www.mfx.net/~ejk/project/

Thanx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~~~ This site has been approved ~~~

------------------
    Eric Jones - SitePoint Administrator
    http://www.sitepoint.com
    eric@sitepoint.com

mouse monkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Overall this is a very nice site which I can only find a few suggestion for:

<LI>I think you should make the corners on the colored table rounded. Most websites look a lot better with rounded corner tables,

<LI> I think the black border around the navigation (with the links to Authoring, Design etc.) should be the same thickness as the one with subscribe to our newsletter etc. links in or the other way around.

<LI>I think the [read more] links should be a different color to the text as I didn't notice they were links to start with to start with.

Thats all I can think off for the time being but If I think of anything else I will post it here. Overall a very nice site.

Fletch

BtW: I do like your color scheme.

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What shall I say? It's that this site is called Young Developers, else I would have strongly suggested to use a different colorscheme

It's a good design even though it's not finished yet. Very clear, only a pitty that just the mainpage is finished.

Maybe you could tune down the colors a little, else you could be acused of children abuse by using too bright colors

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well where should I start?

I like the overall design and layout. I'm in the younger group of designers and I DO like the color scheme.

No for things I don't like... I would add the rounded corners as adamfletch suggested wherever possible. It makes the design look more graphical and modern in my opinion. On the bottom of the page, I see all you have is a banner and a copyright, maybe you could add some more like links or something because all that white looks kind of bare.

Really though, I like the site and will visit it often.

------------------
    Timothy

MSN: TimothyD2000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plain and simple: I like it!

Content & Concept: Very good looking...I'd definetly try to add more info on the mainpage...as you'll notice, most major news and resource sites have a lot "going on" on the mainpage...SitePoint included. The concept of a site bringing young webmasters together is a great idea and something that I myself would take a great interest in.

I'm willing to bet other young webmasters would feel the same way...even adults would probably take an interest in seeing what these kids are capable of.

Color Scheme/Navigation: Color is a bit offbeat...it works fairly well, but I'd recommend different shades of the same colors...all a bit darker...site is a bit glaring right now.

Navigation is great...between the drop-down and the sidebar it would take someone with the mental capacity of a toothpick to get lost.

First Impressions/Overall Reaction: Overall, I give it a 7 out of 10...however there is potential for this site to be much better...that's not a put-down at all, by the way. :0

Overall the site doesn't look like it was created by someone who designs as a full-time job, but it definely has a professional feel about it, at the very least suggesting that whomever created it knew what they were doing.

On a side note, I'd love to subscribe to this site's newsletter but obviously the link is not functional yet...can ya hook me up here?

------------------
    Chris Bowyer - Programmer in Training
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I am an "old one", but I don't like the design and colors much. Specifically, I think the tables with text inside them should have a clear background, for contrast and so that text is easier to read. I don't think design is that important for this type of sites, however, as long as you provide great contents, i'll still visit it. Unfortunately, I can't judge about that, since some pages doesn't seem to be up.

------------------
    The CardBoard Box Mansion -
    Humorous rants on society, politics, and the meaning of life.

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, I think the color scheme suits the site very well. It's bright, cool, and grabs your attention - so I think it would be very attractive to today's young webmasters.

On the left menu, I would change the 'TV effect' of those blue lines through the menu itself, to a more solid color or background, as it makes the menu harder to read with all the lines going through the text.

I would lose the message in the status bar. Most people find that very annoying nowadays. Its much easier to see the links that you're clicking on, instead of a message.

I think that you should incorporate a chat room into your site, as I'm sure that young developers would love to talk with each other and share information, tricks, tips, etc.

Hope this information helps!
    Sparkie

------------------
    www.pawsitronic.com - The Site to Suit your Style!
    webmaster@pawsitronic.com
    MSN IM: sparkiecat@hotmail.com

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that the colors can work. However, the previous comment is right by suggesting that you get rid of the TV efeect lines, at least in the boxes on the left hand side, as they do make the ifnormation harder to read. Also, links should look like links, so if you can keep to the default link colors, or adapt the shades to suit the design. Check out www.useit.com
    At the end of the day you are a portal for young webamsters so you don't wan them to start using bad habits from an early age.
    Apart from that - great job.

------------------
    Webmaster of Gib-Online Dot COM (or webmistress for that matter!)
    www.gib-online.com
    The Rock of Gibraltar on the WEB

www.urban-studios.com
    ...for all your IT solutions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have changed our site since the first response and will continue to do so. We are trying to find a good solid color (perhaps blue) for the left navigation menu

We will also be making the text bigger. We have a dHTML scroller int he workings for the news stuff.

Also, we are looking for a good color/style for links, regular and onmouseover, any suggestions?

Thanx for all your comments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I really like the color scheme you have picked right now. It kinda looks like a can of sherbert : ) The colors do all blend together well, I wouldnt change them. If you are however, I would only darken them some, instead of changing them flat out.

-Brendan Brader http://www.hostrocket.com

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice. Professional and to the point design that works.
    Notes: Banner ad at bottom is not working on my end, looks bad -- fix it! Also, a slight glitch on the buttons to the left, nothing major though. Keep up the good work. One warning however... You should never mention your proposed domain unless you have it registered in my opinion. Not to say that any of you would do this, but there are dishonest people out there. Need I speak more?

David http://www.web-master.tv
    Web-Master.tv: The channel for webmasters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what glitch were you talking about on the left, webmaster2000??

The banner ad isn't in place yet...that's just where the banner ad would go.

We already have the domain name registered, and I would hope no one would steal it if we didn't.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm an oldie (in years not web experience!) but I liked the colour scheme - the tones are welcoming because they're warm, and that makes a difference. It adds to the feeling that "I want to visit again".

I'm looking forward to the site being fully operational, as I'm just getting involved in helping school pupils create a website - this site is one to bookmark for that project!