SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reaching my conclusion, your site is is perfect shape. The logo needs a bit a work, but the website and content and design is perfect. As I have said, please work on the logo you have created to catch the web-surfer's eye.

------------------
    Jesse F. Engle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for comment!

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to scroll around a lot to read the introductory information, but other than that I think you have a very solid site with lots of good information.

I like the black on white color scheme and the main WSR graphic, but you might want to underline your links. Most of the net has become accostumed to them that way

Overall I really enjoyed it. Keep up the good work and keep listening to your visitors! THEY are what power your site!

Sparkie

------------------
    Leave Your Mark!
    www.pawsitronic.com

Your one-stop web design solution!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must really say that I just liked your site alot. Nice and clean layout, looks nice in 800x600 and has a good contents. This site I will use in the future. There is one thing I dont like, the color on the links in your forum its a bit to screaming blue to me. I can see you have put alot of work on this site so my opinion is: "This is a nice site"

Keep up the good work !

regards Micro7 !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the comment!

I actually was planning on changing the link color in the forum, but I forgot so I am going to do that now. Thank you for reminding me. I am planning on hosting scripts at the site. I am probably going to launch that sections of the site this evening. I think it will add a lot to the content of the site.

Chris Roane

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site to me looks like a programer designed it. The button icons looks plain jane. A stroke here and there with a bit of drop shadow could do wonders. Also the catagory alignment within the resource pages are centered. I would go with left since most of the alignment are left.

Review done on a PC with IE5

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that new design much better then the old one! There are some problems however. The text font is different in many places. When I go into the site, it asks for a username and password for webmasterexpert.coM!!! I would also take off that TopHosts logo. I went to their site and did not see ONE link linking back to you when you have a link to them on every page of your site almost. And...I thought I was in TopHosts.Com when I went in!!!! Great site though, keep up the great work.

------------------
    Webmaster's Network
    The Ultimate Webmaster Resource Center

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, once again for all your comments! I fixed the password thing. My link partner decided to password protect his images folder, and that is why the password thing came up. I also fixed many of the fonts in the site as well and some link colors. I hope the new design is going to satisfy more people than the other one did!

Thanks!

Chris Roane

jbm
    SitePoint Community Guest
    I liked the design, but when I got to the site I got confused: TopHosts.com logo stands out more than your own. For minute there I didnt know if I got to the right place, I had to double check the URL.

jbm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with both of you guys about the tophosts.com's logo. They pay me to advertise on the site. I am going to make quite a bit of changes.

Thanks!

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you have the sidebar a % width? It looks very bad on large screens. I would change that. You only need to specify the one table to make it a %.

------------------
    Webmaster's Network
    The Ultimate Webmaster Resource Center

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi.
    Ok I am brand new to all this, so maybe my opinion don't really count, but here it is for what it is worth
    I liked your site !
    I found it very easy to use, and get around it.
    I just viewed it today so I don't know about all the stuff the others here were talking about,I assume you made some changes as I read your other older posts, but I found it very user friendly.
    I really like the "rate it" program you have going....its nice to know what others think of a site before you waste time there.
    All in all I found it very useful and will return often.
    etcetc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not notice that. I will change that ASAP. I am also working on yet another cool feature to the site. Man, can I keep myself busy! I just keep on giving myself more and more work. It is actually kind of funny. I finish something very stressfull and complicated for me and I go ahead and dive into another difficult addon for the site. I gais it just shows how dedicated I am.

Thanks!

Chris Roane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks etcetc for the good compliment! I don't usually get very many "good" compliments, but that is alright. There I go, feeling sorry for myself. I am a strange person.

Chris Roane

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi wsresource,

I like your site. It's easy to navigate.

I also like your idea of getting people to post to your forum to get their site at the top of each page on your site. I'm in the same boat as yourself when it comes to getting people to post. Never thought of that idea though.

One thing is would change ist the different fonts on the pages. I think that sites look better when only one font is used. Verdana is a very widely used font. I started with Verdana but have decided to change to using Tahoma but have the secondary font is set to verdana.

Where did you get the rate it script?

I see you have like a trail (breadcrumb) like affect at the top. I have a link to a cgi script that automatically creates this for you, but the only thing is that you need to use SSI to use it.

Rgds,
    ------------------
    Regards,
    Keith McL http://www.resources-webmasters.com

[This message has been edited by KeithMcL (edited January 20, 2000).]
    Last edited by KeithMcL; Mar 12, 2001 at 14:15.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi KeithMcL,

Thank you for your compliments. I use a very popular script called Links. I think that script and many of their scripts can be found at www.gossamer-threads.com or something like that.

I have one question about the fonts on my site. I am not sure if I should use a specific size like 2 or 3 for all the fonts or just use like -1 or +1. Can I get any comments on that please. Also, can I get suggestions on what font I should use. I want to use a widely used font so most of my visitors can read the text on my site.

KeithMcL, I checked out that link you gave me and tried to download the script, but it would not let me. But, I am happy with the system I have going with my site now. Besides the framed link script was very hard to get working in my already highly modified version of links.

I am going to get back to working on my site. Make sure you post your comments for the Web Site Resource at http://www.wsresource.com/ !

Chris Roane

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked the noframes choice being so clear on the links. Like the grey/white scheme. White background is good. Home page a trifle slow with all those images. Rather busy with banners etc at the top of the page. It all looks a bit odd in a text browser, the navigation does not come out in a consistent fashion, but still useable. In ie5 glad to be able to see some text while the image download. Cacheability has not been addressed and your server clock seems to be 12 mins off. I checked out your home page in amaya 2.4 and it didn't do too well, no main text, nav bar on left text didn't wrap every time, problem with images and banner at top (inconsistent), bottom nav bar messed up. Still at least I could still tell where I was and navigate. Some of the other pages worked better.
    Hope this is some help, useful site, thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi ianral,

I appreciate you telling me about what the site looks like in a text browser. But the thing is, I am not going to worry to much about how it looks in those types of browsers because there aren't very many people surfing the web like that. I do plan on making the home page load faster by removing the buttons and some other things.

I have been working on some really cool things for the site. I just started offering email using my domain and I am going to be offering FREE INTERNET ACCESS very soon. It will support a very fast 56k connection and it will be available to about 95% of all the people in the U.S. and Canada. It is not out yet, but it should be up and running on the Web Site Resource in like a week in a half or so.

Chris Roane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi again,

I would just like everyone to know that we have to new services at the site. Free Internet Access as well as Free Email. We also redesigned the home page quite a bit. We have made it look better in the higher resolutions as well.

Chris Roane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great site. The following are some suggestions you may want to apply:

1- The menu has a lot of whitespace. Squeeze the links closer to each other.

2- Change the logo. It could look much better.

3- Add more categories for your directory.

4- Add the subscription form on top of the page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

It has been awhile since I have replied, but here is goes.

I updated the site with a new design, so check it out: http://www.wsresource.com/

Chris Roane

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I think you are on the right track. The layout is good, and the colors work well. You have worked hard on this site and it does show.

Now, what I would change.

I dislike the repetition of the HostIndex banner add. Change one of them.
    Next is the main navigation in the header. The connect confused me, but after looking at your site further I understand what it is for. Next is the Writings link, confused again. What is the difference from FreeSources.net and Free Services.

Now understand I am saying this based on my initial impression of the site. Once I searched the site I understand what the links are for, but you might see if you could clarify then some.

I really liked the version that had the links directory on the front, maybe you could combine the two some how.

Other then what I have mentioned here the site is nice. I have added it to my web design favorites folder.

Take care,

Michael

------------------
    World National Fantasy Basketball Association
    www.wnfba.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I would take off one or two of the Hostindex.com's ads, but I can't because they paid me to put their banner and buttons on those places. I am going to take the FreeSources.net link off of every page very soon because I am supposed to.

I think you have a good point about the categories being on the home page. I will probably do that in a day or two.

Thanks!

Chris Roane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wsresource > Question: Where did you go to get the cobrand with 1stup? That's a really creative way to bring traffic back. On their signup form it asks who is your venture capitalist company (you know you're in the 90s now)... it seems like they are only looking for big sites, no?

Owen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

1stup.com is a great company. They do want large sites, but they also are looking for sites on specific topics. Just do what we did, fill out that form on their page and wait about 5 months. If they like you, they will eventually send you an email. I gais we just got lucky, and yes it does bring in an incredible amount of extra traffic.

Chris Roane