SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like for you to review my site: wware.net.

Yes I have popups, but you get what you pay for, hence, it was free.

Thank you in advance.

---------------
    Stuart Briscar
    wware.net

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~~~ This site is Approved ~~~

Kind of empty.. Like the great wastelands of Siberia.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You said it, Wluke! It made me think of an empty, snowcovered tundra
    This site consists out of only two things: the navigation bar, who seems to be lost in the emptiness, and the text, where seems to be a shortage of. I don't think that this site exceeds the 60K

------------------
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

Gong!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The layout is pretty fine and clean. I just suggest you should explain a bit more about your business in general and let's say, lead the visitor.

For example, first time a saw your site I though that what the earth, is here anything and after that my eyes catched the navigation buttons. Though not everyone sees the pages like me.

My advice: make it simple and easy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this site is a little too clean, there's almost nothing left.

------------------
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

Gong!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True. A bit more of text explaining the business and it'll do pretty fine.

------------------
    Harri Mähönen
    The Web Rumble - web design and promoting articles and resources.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some examples of what you're capable of shouldn't harm you site nor business, I guess.

------------------
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. I have trouble thinking of things to write and if I had more text, I could had a few more graphics.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't usually reply to requests for review but...
    1) Using MSIE 5 at 1000+ res, the site looked simply unfinished. The background was a default orange, which only made your graphic seem misplaced. If you set the bg to white, that would have helped.
    2) Your portfolio might hurt you a little: the SiteHosting site is almost identical to the Wware site, (you don't want to look like you are only capable of one idea, do you?), and the SimFever site contains spelling and grammatical mistakes on the index page.
    3)Your order page should have areas for phone, fax, address, etc. You only provide for e-mail, so what on earth will you do if your potential contractor isn't online yet?
    4) I know you mentioned this, but really, fork out the few bucks a month for your own site and get rid of those pop-ups, that is, if you really want to look like a professional.

I apologize if this critique has been somewhat hard, but I do hope I have at least given some helpful or useful words. I know in the past you've helped me out with some of my forum queries. Best of luck.
    BTW: I do like the rather unique idea of allowing the contractor to suggest the opening price. It's an effective tactic in job interviews, (getting the employer to make the opening salary bid), and I'd be interested to learn how well it works for you.
    marty@tinytin.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree...needs some more stuff there to jazz it up...although the graphic on there now looks great on its own!

If you can make it look "busier", it should make a big difference.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer - Programmer in Training
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't write any of the content on Sim Fever and I have told that guy about his errors. And I was going to add the phone number, address things to the contact page but I started doing something else and forgot about it. I'll put it up.

These comments have been helpful. I have not taken offense to any. I just question a few.

"the SiteHosting site is almost identical to the Wware site"

Wat do you mean by that? Does anyone else see what he means?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well... The navigation bar is almost identical, is also on the left, the background is white too and there's only a little more text on the sitehosting site. If you look at those things, you could say: yes, they are quite similar.

------------------
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The text has nothing to do with it...seeing as he plans to add more.

The graphics are somewhat similar...but that's it really...

The fact that both have white backgrounds isn't worth mentioning, really...

------------------
    Chris Bowyer - Programmer in Training
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like the above say: content, content, content. Of what *is* there, I very much like the nav graphic, but it could use a little color or rollover effects. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of gray/silver/black, but perhaps the wware.net in the graphic could be in another color (blue, green, orange, maybe purple). Really any color looks pretty good with gray, maybe that's why I like it so much.

Like I said, the graphic (with a little spice added) is great, just be a little more verbose.

------------------
    Pat Burroughs
    Wheels-off Web Design
    The Wheels-Off Website

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very clean navigational scheme.. a little too clean, though. If I were a first-time visitor to your site, I'd want to know what your business could offer me that no other could (or if both businesses offer something similar, why should I choose yours over the competition?)

Since it looks like the site is just starting, you might want to submit a review request after most of it is done, since a lot of critiquers have already said that the site looks rather barren..

Another good idea is to make a list of what you want your business to accomplish, who your target audience will be, and what kinds of things they would be looking for when they come to your site. I'm sure that your list will help you generate more content for your site.

All in all, a good clean design.

Sparkie

------------------
    Web Design with PURRsonality...

www.pawsitronic.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very clean.

It definately needs more content on the main page, as others have pointed out.

I like how you have navigation on the lighter strip that seems to pop out, it would be nice to have more of that on the left as well.

The popups make visiting the site very annoying. Please get rid of them somehow.

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@flashmail.com

ActiveWM.com - The place for the Active Webmaster.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I made it a little better.

---------------
    Stuart Briscar
    wware.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

The graphics are pretty good and everything and I like the basic layout.

Recommendations
    1.) Take off the popups and put the banner on the page itself. That might help make the site look a little more busier.
    2.) I would definately add some more text and elaborate more on the services that you offer.

Other than that I like it.

Chris Roane

------------------
    Intersurge : http://intersurge.com/
    Web Site Resource : http://wsresource.com/
    Free Web Site Tools : http://freewebsitetools.com/

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I knew there was something that bothered me, but I couldn't put my finger on it 'till I recalled my school days. By education I am not a web designer but an industrial designer, which includes a lot of presentation theory. One of the things we learned is that with any page layout, whether it be print graphic, TV-still, or computer grahic, (web), the natural scanning path of the eyes is: top left corner down to bottom right corner across to bottom left corner then up and over to center. We learned to try to develop presentation pages which had relevant info along this path.

The graphic on your page, while being amazingly well done, leads the eye primarily off the page to the top right, or down to the bottom left. The text is lost in a little pocket, tucked into the armpit of the graphic. If you had something, some graphic, down after the bottom right corner of the text, then the page would appear and "read" fuller.
    There again you have my 2 cents.
    Be well.
    marty@tinytin.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woah dude. That was a killer statement. I will totally remember that.

Thanks.

---------------
    Stuart Briscar
    wware.net

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you've got a lot of talent waiting to burst out, but you're doing a couple of things wrong. Here's what I'd work on if I were you:

1. Get a real host. There's just no excuse not to with hosts coming as cheap as $3 or $4 a month.

2. Move your text to the left. Right now, with the graphic built as it is, your text is just *jammed* over to the right side with a TON of white space to the left. Combined with the fact that there is altogether too much white space as it is, this makes your site seem really barren.

3. Make your logo / left-hand side smaller and your navigation menu larger. Right now, the design is really out of balance, almost "leaning" to the left.

4. I think your design exceeds 600 pixels in width, which is the maximum width a design should be if you want to make sure that viewers running at low resolution (640x480) can view your website without scrolling. Reduce the overall width to 600 or below.

5. Add some color and spice to the design. Try working with some orange to give the site some life.

6. Don't bother with a portfolio section until you have at least 3 good web sites to show your visitors. Otherwise, you're just shooting yourself in the foot, because no one will go with an inexperienced designer.

7. You might want to consider changing "order" to "price quote" or something like that. (Make it clear that if they do request a price quote, they are under no obligation, their information is safe with you, and it's totally free). Order gives the impression that the visitor is locked in and has an obligation to buy from you when all they really wanted was to check out what your prices were like. Besides, they aren't really ordering - only giving you contact information.

8. Grow your content or get someone else to write it for you! This is absolutely VITAL. If you do nothing else to this website, make sure it's content-rich. Remember that online, content is really what's king. Without good content, no matter how good its design is, a site will flop.

(If you want some really great help on how to write good content, among other Internet business related things, visit Internet Marketing Challenge at http://imc.sybren.net . They've got a great free newsletter and a wonderful private site as well.)

Hope this has helped you a bit. I don't really know why I'm doing it - after all, you'll be my competition.

Regards,

Micah D. Cranman
    Sybren Design | www.sybren.net
    Small Business Web Design

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    responding to micah,
    regarding point #4, i disagree. true enough, it is good to try to design to accomodate as many visitors as possible, but not everything can be taken into account, and if being friendly to 800+ browsers is your only sin, then what the hell.

point #6, again i disagree. if you have even a couple well designed, unique pages, (even if they aren't published), they can serve to display your creativity, imagination, and skills.

point #7, good point

point #8, nice plug!!

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with everyone else that the site looks really empty. I also feel that the site is lacking color. Grey can be good sometimes, but for a design site it just won't cut it. As I've said before, you need to make your design site the best design you've ever made in your life. Period.

Also, the banner ad for Hypermart or whatever is really annoying. Your maybe clients won't like that, especially when looking for a professional web designer.

Finally, the left side of the graphic looks really empty. You need to add something. Oh yeah, and one more thing. I would increase the margins by 2+ pixels, 'cause that graphic is too close to the margins for my liking.

------------------
    Justin Stayton
    · WEB: http://www.j.cx
    · EMAIL: justin@j.cx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definately more content. Looks like an index card with a fancy border.

Additionally, on my screen, 80% of the page was white while the content was shoved up into the top left corner.