SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys!

Sorry for that cheesy intro. Couldn't help myself. Anyway, if you could check out www.sybren.net and give me your opinions, I'd really appreciate it! While you're reviewing the site, please keep the following in mind and/or try to address these issues:

1. My target group is small business owners, most of whom are extremely busy, which is why I haven't used verbose copy. Do you think something more lenghty would be more effective?

2. Does the pop-up window get annoying? I've tried to set it up in such a fashion that it only springs its nasty head when someone leaves the site. However, it does come up if you hit the back button. Does this bother you, and if so, do you have any ideas as to how to avoid a pop-up when you hit the back button?

3. I've been toying with adding/moving some content around. I've been thinking about devoting a whole web site to just web hosting and providing more options to my clients. I've also been thinking about adding an "About Us" page, a domain registration section, and an FAQ to the site. Also, an area with articles I've written might be an option. What do you think?

4. Is the site sticky? Did you find yourself browsing around even if you had absolutely no interest in my services? Please be honest - I can handle the truth!

5. Does it PUMP YOU UP?! (Ok, ok, so that was a little bit of random Saturday Night Live humor that slipped out. You don't have to answer me on this one. )

6. If you were a client, would the site have addressed any concerns you had? Did you feel comfortable with Sybren as a company?

Thanks a million in advance. You guys are awesome!

Regards,

Micah D. Cranman
    Sybren Design | www.sybren.net
    Small Business Web Design

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice site! Only a few remarks:

1. first try to reach the site: 'connection unexpectedly reset by peer.'
    2. I would defenitely change the colore of the lower menu, I don't think that dark blue really matches black: it hurts your eyes.
    3. I don't think you should add more text, it gives a good idea what you can do for you customers.
    4. The pop-up window is a little unexpected.
    5. This site is on of the stickiest on the web, I think.
    6. I would blindly trust Sybren
    7. I don't understand this joke, I'm afraid (pump you up). Maybe someone could explain it too me, if anyone here feels for it?

Overall a very good designed site, with a good content. Good job!

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~~~ This site is Approved ~~~

Nice site overall. I didn't to much like the brownish orange headers. Too much contrast with the other colors on your site and I think it detracts. I would go with either a pale blue or pale yellow left to right gradient behind the headers. I would also remove the rounded corners around them. They detract more than they enhance.

I'll let the others answer your other questions.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be blunt, hope you don't mind, all just my opinions of course;

1. Nice to-the-point copy.

2. Pop-up triggered by the back button steals control from the visitor and isn't tasteful IMO. Suggestion: place ezine subscribtion form in left border or other place in the page itself.

3. All sound good to me, more resources = more "sticky".

4. Considering I didnt have interest in services, I think it was sticky enough, yes.

5. No, if you want pump maybe flash will help or static engaging graphics.

6. If I was potential client, my concerns seemed addressed on a general level. I would want more detail without having to email. I'd also definitely want a heavier sense of credibility and qualification from your company, but without fluff -- (the trap so many online companies, especially isp's, fall into - fluff, no credibility).

All said, I think it looks decent.

- Max

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would agree with the words of wluke. at the top left corner of your home page you have a beautiful graphic with blue grading to black, why not repeat it in your headers? and yes, the top rounded corner is fine, but those little header radius' look "goopy" for lack of a better word.

1) i think the text throught the site is totally on target for your audience, not too little, not too much. very nice copy. did your association with michael fortin lead to that?

2)Didn't see the pop-up since i kept using your navigation rather than the back button, (wouldn't want to see it though, i personally shiver when a pop-up rears it's insideous little head).

3)i think you should keep the hosting page with the sybren site, it complements it nicely, a whole package site. however, you might want to think of some way to bring the fact that you do host into more prominence since it's not that typical for designers to also offer hosting. re: FAQ and "about us" pages, i believe it's always a good idea to include them, even if they aren't high click pages. it's just another friendly offering to the interested visitor.

4)is it sticky?: hard for me to say since i did stick in order to review it. but it certainly didn't make me tuck my tail and flee, so i'd say it's friendly if not sticky.

5) & 6) no comment really.

one last word; beautiful, full portfolio page, very impressive not only for quality but quantity of sites. that alone will raise confidence in your potential clients.

best of luck.
    marty

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here goes!

1. Do you think something more lenghty would be more effective?

I think it looks good as it is.. not too long, not too short.

2. Does the pop-up window get annoying? I've tried to set it up in such a fashion that it only springs its nasty head when someone leaves the site.

Personally I hate these things and they're the main reason I -dont- sign up for an Ezine. If the Ezine sounds interesting and catches my attention, I'll sign up for it, otherwise I won't bother.. I dont think I've ever 'forgotten' to sign up for one I liked

3. I've been thinking about devoting a whole web site to just web hosting and providing more options to my clients.

I think you should leave them together, it helps build your brand name.

I've also been thinking about adding an "About Us" page, a domain registration section, and an FAQ to the site.

You should -always- do this. It makes the customer feel more comfortable around you.

Also, an area with articles I've written might be an option. What do you think?

Sounds like a good idea, but be sure to tie that in with your newsletter option.

4. Is the site sticky? Did you find yourself browsing around even if you had absolutely no interest in my services? Please be honest - I can handle the truth!

Not particularly.. there was really nothing there to grab my attention and make me interact with your site.

5. Does it PUMP YOU UP?!

Hehehehehehe

6. If you were a client, would the site have addressed any concerns you had?

I'd like to know more about who I'm dealing with, a FAQ page would be nice so I wouldn't feel like I was asking you any 'stupid' questions

Did you feel comfortable with Sybren as a company?

Although you -are- my competition, I thought you had a nice site and it seemed like you know what you're doing. Just a little more information about your company would be helpful.

Hope it helps!!

Sparkie

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Thanks for the responses. Keep them coming! Some very insightful comments here and some things I'll definitely be taking into consideration. I know I'll definitely be adding an FAQ page in the near future, as well as an About Us page.

I don't know what I'm going to do with the Pop-up window. Since I've implemented it, my e-zine sign-up rate has increased dramatically. I've also found that most visitors don't find it annoying as they only usually see it when they leave the site. I'll have to get a bit more feedback from you people before I make my decision to keep it or nix it.

The "pump you up" was a reference to two characters from a TV show called Saturday Night Live. They were these two Swedish body builders (actually, they were really scrawny guys with pillows all over them )that always used to say, "And it will Pump You UP!" together. Funny stuff.

Thanks again, and keep those reviews coming!

Micah

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>
    1. first try to reach the site: 'connection unexpectedly reset by peer.'
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is your TCP/IP connection to your ISP, it doesn't have anything to do with the webserver your trying to connect to. Any reconnection errors sent by that server will be caught by the ISP's proxy and dealt with.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone else want to contribute? You don't have to answer the questions -- just review it please!

Regards,

Micah D. Cranman
    Sybren Design | www.sybren.net