SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    SitePoint Evangelist Barnum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    418
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Google Analytics

    Question? Is Google Analytics the best for keeping track of your site? Have had a couple of potential advertisers ask if
    I used it.

  2. #2
    Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    16,785
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Google Analytics doesn't count visitors who have JavaScript disabled or who have blocked the Google Analytics domain - so it will always undercount visitors.
    Stephen J Chapman

    javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

  3. #3
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Dubai
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google analytics is a good tool to track your analytics for free, but as per the new update of Google you want be able to get the keywords data of searcher who were signed in when they clicked and visited your site.

  4. #4
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google analytics is a free, widely used, and full featured analytics service. It comes with some great features such as customized reporting, data visualization, AdWords integration, data sharing, and cross channel tracking. Google Analytics is great for small and large websites alike and has a user-friendly and clean interface. The lack of real-time updates is probably the only disadvantage worth mentioning.
    Last edited by Stevie D; Dec 15, 2011 at 06:43. Reason: Fake signature deleted

  5. #5
    SitePoint Addict zeeb44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by priya1 View Post
    Google analytics is a free, widely used, and full featured analytics service. It comes with some great features such as customized reporting, data visualization, AdWords integration, data sharing, and cross channel tracking. Google Analytics is great for small and large websites alike and has a user-friendly and clean interface. The lack of real-time updates is probably the only disadvantage worth mentioning.
    They actually have real time statistics now. It is in beta testing and not every user has it I think. But I have had access to it for a few weeks now. Very cool, but needs tweaking still on their part.
    Personal Portfolio - Zeeb44
    IT Manager for - Family Dental Health

  6. #6
    Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    16,785
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeeb44 View Post
    They actually have real time statistics now.
    For whatever fraction of your visitors that they can see. Their script is VERY inaccurate because not only does it exclude anyone with JavaScript turned off, it also excludes everyone who knows enough about how the web works to disable it - there's nothing in it for me to be included in your stats so the Google Analytics domain is blocked on my computer so that the script never downloads to count me.
    Stephen J Chapman

    javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

  7. #7
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4,686
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    For whatever fraction of your visitors that they can see. Their script is VERY inaccurate because not only does it exclude anyone with JavaScript turned off, it also excludes everyone who knows enough about how the web works to disable it - there's nothing in it for me to be included in your stats so the Google Analytics domain is blocked on my computer so that the script never downloads to count me.
    Very inaccurate meaning what? 3%? 5%? 10%
    - Ted S

  8. #8
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Orlando, FL.
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also these "real time" statistics are only for people who are on your site at the moment.

    It's not real time in the way a program like Statscounter is, where you can easily see the last X amount of visitors and their entire clickpath.

  9. #9
    SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy
    Mikl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    1,540
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peteralec View Post
    ... as per the new update of Google you want be able to get the keywords data of searcher who were signed in when they clicked and visited your site.
    Are you referring to the fact that Google will no longer provide referrer data for searchers who were signed in to Google when they performed the search? If so, that's unfortunately a problem for all tracking tools. If the keywords are not present in the referrer data, then it's not going to be visible in the stats.

    What we don't know is how much of a problem that is going to be. In other words, what proportion of searches are done by people who are logged into Google? Anyone got any idea how to find that out?

    Mike

  10. #10
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The free version has few limitations i guess, so to get complete benefit and see the complete stats the free version is not good idea.

  11. #11
    SitePoint Member alexschmidt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi,
    Google Analytic is really a great tool to track your visitors but if the visitor has disable java-script in their browser then the codes will not work. to get around this issue i always write a code which check if java-script is disable in the visitors browser & if it's found in disable manner, a message is shown in a new page which asks them to enable it and place a cookie to track it.
    most of the users have java-script switched on on their browsers.

  12. #12
    SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy
    Mikl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    1,540
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexschmidt View Post
    hi,
    .... i always write a code which check if java-script is disable in the visitors browser & if it's found in disable manner, a message is shown in a new page which asks them to enable it and place a cookie to track it.
    I must say that, if I saw a message like that, I'd either ignore it or immediately leave the site. If I had disabled JavaScript - for whatever reason - there's no way that I would obey a request (especially from someone I don't know) to re-enable it, unless I was convinced there was a good reason to.

    Mike

  13. #13
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4,686
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikl View Post
    I must say that, if I saw a message like that, I'd either ignore it or immediately leave the site. If I had disabled JavaScript - for whatever reason - there's no way that I would obey a request (especially from someone I don't know) to re-enable it, unless I was convinced there was a good reason to.
    Most sites that post these messages do not do so to try and convenience people to re-enable the option, rather it's to explain that their choice will render the site less than fully functional. Graceful degradation made sense when javascript was mostly bells and whistles but in the ajax / web 2.0 / whatever you call it era, it's so much a part of the experience that more and more sites find it worth while to draw a line.
    - Ted S

  14. #14
    SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy
    Mikl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    1,540
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted S View Post
    Most sites that post these messages do not do so to try and convenience people to re-enable the option, rather it's to explain that their choice will render the site less than fully functional.
    Point taken, Ted. I wouldn't object to a polite message that explains the benefit of enabling JavaScript. But it would have to be a benefit to the visitor, not the site owner. A message that just tells them to enable JavaScripts (and/or cookies) - simply so that the site can use Google Analytics - would not be acceptable, in my opinion.

    Mike

  15. #15
    Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    TechnoBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Argyll, Scotland
    Posts
    6,068
    Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikl View Post
    I must say that, if I saw a message like that, I'd either ignore it or immediately leave the site. If I had disabled JavaScript - for whatever reason - there's no way that I would obey a request (especially from someone I don't know) to re-enable it, unless I was convinced there was a good reason to.
    Mike
    +1. I do browse with JavaScript disabled. If I can use a site without JavaScript - fair enough. It's my choice, so I don't mind if I don't get all the "added extras". If I can't use the site, I leave. Any message asking me to enable JavaScript would just irritate me and I'd ignore it. The exception to that is the very rare occasion on which somebody has provided alternative content - perhaps for a slide-show or something similar - and added a tactful hint that enabling JavaScript would enhance my user experience. (I still don't do it, but it doesn't annoy me. )

    Asking a user to over-ride their preferences and enable JavaScript purely for the convenience of the site owner has to be poor practice, in my opinion.

  16. #16
    SitePoint Addict zeeb44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so what do you suggest as a better solution? Whether it cost money or not?
    Personal Portfolio - Zeeb44
    IT Manager for - Family Dental Health

  17. #17
    SitePoint Member crunchcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    google analytics is for the site owner and gogole ad planner is for all external user.and normally these both are same in result and number of views for any site.so my suggestion show a google adplanner to your client. and they can track the record from there.and google analytics is most trusted one.so never face any prolem with that.I am sure.

  18. #18
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The very best tracking software that I know about is Omniture (which is an Adobe product). You can do some absolutely amazing things with this software.

    http://www.omniture.com/en/products/...arketing-suite

    But check out the price. I will stick with Google Analytics.

    Ingenyes.

  19. #19
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4,686
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ingenyes View Post
    The very best tracking software that I know about is Omniture (which is an Adobe product). You can do some absolutely amazing things with this software.

    http://www.omniture.com/en/products/...arketing-suite

    But check out the price. I will stick with Google Analytics.

    Ingenyes.
    I'm a past Omniture customer and while GA offers much of what the typical site will use, the ability to merge multiple data sources together is in its self a massive advantage, especially for multi-channel businesses.

    Similar to Omniture is WebTrends [who is doing some great things in social analytics] and CoreMetrics. All 3 are enterprise tools.
    - Ted S

  20. #20
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will have to check out these (I've only heard a little bit about WebTrends). The latest version of Omniture has a lot of features around social media/metrics. The whole social media thing is really taking off and you need to be able to track how well you are doing.

    Ingenyes

  21. #21
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4,686
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ingenyes View Post
    I will have to check out these (I've only heard a little bit about WebTrends). The latest version of Omniture has a lot of features around social media/metrics. The whole social media thing is really taking off and you need to be able to track how well you are doing.

    Ingenyes
    Just be careful not to confuse direct analytics with social results. The best viral campaigns never touch a link because the user, not the brand, is the one making the post and when users post they rarely include tracking codes.
    - Ted S

  22. #22
    SitePoint Addict zeeb44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where can you get Omniture from? I looked on there website and it doesn't say anything about where to buy/download or even if it cost anything?
    Personal Portfolio - Zeeb44
    IT Manager for - Family Dental Health

  23. #23
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Omniture

    Omniture is actually owned by Adobe.

    http://www.omniture.com/en/

    You can also get a read a good description of all the stuff you get with it on Wikipedia.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omniture

  24. #24
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4,686
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeeb44 View Post
    Where can you get Omniture from? I looked on there website and it doesn't say anything about where to buy/download or even if it cost anything?
    Omniture [and the others names mentioned] is an enterprise analytics suite, you can reach out to a sales rep and they will contact you to discuss your needs and put together a proposal. If you're serious about this caliber of analytics I can connect you with a member of their team directly as well.
    - Ted S

  25. #25
    SitePoint Member spymobiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am using Google Analytics from the past 2 years and am satisfied with it. It gives all those things which i think necessory to know and moreover its free of cost


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •