SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone would be so kind, I would like reviews of my site. Bear in mind that I am rather new at this page designing obsession, and have never considered myself particularly creative. All thoughts and suggestions are welcome and will be taken under advisement. Thanks in advance for the critiques!
    http://www.wheelsoffdesign.com

------------------
    Pat Burroughs
    Wheels-off Web Design
    The Wheels-Off Website

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~~~ This site has been approved ~~~

------------------
    Eric Jones - SitePoint Administrator
    http://www.sitepoint.com
    eric@sitepoint.com

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! This is a good example of a well-designed site. Very neat, very clean, easy to navigate... Almost perfect!
    Enough text too. I don't know any negative things to say, sorry.

------------------
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree; the site looks fantastic. The way it looks suggests (to me, at least) a small web design firm run by at least a few people!

Mouseovers are nice...all the blue is a bit bright, but not so much as to really annoy you or anything. Load time is good, too.

Fantastic job...definetly one of the better sites I've seen.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer - Programmer in Training
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yet another agreeable review. For me the load time might have been a touch heavy; I'm using a DSL line and it took 7 or 8 seconds to load, so I can guess that might triple for someone using even a 56K modem, (perhaps the graphics have to be tweaked a little). Other than that, I didn't feel the need to delve too deeply as your site presented a professional, navigable, and uniform appearance right from the get go.
    My one single critique:
    When I first visited your portfolio page I didn't immediately recognise the bar at the top of the small sample pages as being part of your browser, and originally thought, "gee, does this person have the same white and red nav bar at the top of every page he designs?". If you put any stock in this thought at all, (and it's certainly up to you if you do), I'd try to trim away any browser captures from your small portfolio images so that all anyone sees is the page itself. Hope that was clear, it somewhat confused me!
    That's my only suggestion which means, "wow, there was some very sweet designing going on with this site". Keep it up.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice site.

I've got a few minor comments though,
    1)Pricing page, the text in the table is a serif font - it should be sans serif
    2)I definetly agree with tinyitn, on your portfolio page, alter the screenshots so they don't have your browser stuff on them - I'd also change the order - mix the black with the white backgrounds - it will create the illusion that they are more different than they look at the moment (the two middle ones look quite similar to me)
    3)again on the contact page you slip into a serif font - it should be sans serif
    4)privacy policy should be incorporated into the style and design of your site - at the moment it appears that you just got a standard statement and changed the vital details...AND there is no back navigation from it
    5)when I mouse over the top buttons, the entire logo flickers - this is extremely irritating. (I'm on NN4.71, W98)

Otherwise very nice site with clear navigation.

Cheers

Dr Gonzo

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the invaluable input so far, all have been good suggestions, and all have been incorporated. We're extremely lucky to have such a forum with so many knowledgeable people willing to help.

On the flickering issue, I'm puzzled. I've looked at the page(s) in IE, NN, and Opera and am not getting this phenomenon. Anyone else having this happen? If so, is it site-wide or limited to certain pages?

------------------
    Pat Burroughs
    Wheels-off Web Design
    The Wheels-Off Website

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, I'm using NN4.71 on W98 too, and nothing happens here. Maybe it's your monitor(-drivers), Dr Gonzo?

------------------
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good, clear design.. one of the better web design business sites I've critiqued. I like the layout and the ease of finding the information I'm looking for.

A couple of things I wanted to mention:

-A small description of what you contributed to the sites you've designed is always helpful. If you created the entire site, customized the graphics, or optimized and submitted it to 1,000 search engines, say so! Your customers will be very intrigued by how much work you put into the site...

-Even though no one will probably ever use it, it's nice to include your postal address somewhere on your website. It makes your customers feel more comfortable about buying from you when they know that there's another "contactable" human on the other side of the screen.

-All web design sites should have a FAQ, even if it's only a few questions long, think about what your clients would ask you (but don't!), i.e. 'how long will it take, where will my site be hosted, etc.'

-You've mentioned browsing my site for administrative purposes (which I'm so happy to be of service for!), and I hope you won't take offense to this, but our slogans sound a bit too similar. 'your one-stop web design solution' vs. 'your affordable web design solution'..

But right above that phrase you have a much better one "Stability in an unstable medium" which I really liked.. something about the 'Wheels Design' and 'Stability' just connected and it sounds like a much better phrase to use for your business.

I hope this (rather long) review helps!

Sparkie
    www.pawsitronic.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about the similar blurbs, I hadn't noticed that. I wrestled with words and finally settled on "solution" though I wasn't completely sold on it. I'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the other valuable tips as well. I'm currently working on a FAQ page. Trying to ask friends what questions they would have if they were wanting a web site designed. Beefing up the portfolio page text-wise is something I had wanted to do as well, thanks for the tip on how to do so.

Thanks all, keep the valuable tweaking tips coming...

------------------
    Pat Burroughs
    Wheels-off Web Design
    The Wheels-Off Website

JavaScript Guru (Big Ego) Arielladog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the site is designed very nicely, but soem comments are:

1. You have links on the left and the top..probasbly both are not needed. I would stick witht he top one and stick something to add more pizazz to your website on the left.

2. THe stuff down at bottom left shoul dbe moved to the top or something. It's like the title for the page over to the bottom left.

3. ALso, if that's your logo at the bottom left, move it.