SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,
    This is a site that is still in fairly early stages though I'd appreciate some feedback to check I'm headed in the right direction.

This site is a travel site on Thailand. Most of the information in it at the moment is just fill from a book I wrote a few years ago, so I'm not so worried about the information, what I am interested in is if it makes sense to you - is the information organised in a way that makes sense.

The site is designed to be used in upcountry cafes etc here in Thailand and Laos, so speed is a big issue and this is why it is about 90% text based.

So functionality and speed are important, plus it would be nice if it made you want to come here!

Here is the address:
    http://www.fourelephants.com/welcome.php3

At the moment features such as search, mailing list and the links at the bottom are not connected.

Thanx in advance

Dr Gonzo

[This message has been edited by Dr Gonzo (edited July 01, 2000).]

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~~~ This site is approved ~~~

Very good color scheme and use of text. I like the layout. I do think that the Four Elephants in the black and red at the top is redundant and takes away from the site. Keep the colors but loose the text.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wayne,
    you brought a smile to my girlfriend's face when you said that title should go - it was one of the first things she said!

Anyone else?

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really much to say. The design is simple and effective, the color-scheme is almost perfect. If I was searching for information about this country, I would try your site first!

------------------
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Elledan,

Something I'm particularly after is comments re the organisation of the information about the destinations - if you use the pulldown to pick either Bangkok, Trat or Chanthaburi you'll find information and in Chanthaburi's case some pics - it makes sense to me - but then I made it !!
    I want to have the design right before I populate the database

Cheers

Dr Gonzo

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice site. Simple design. I like the color scheme. It is very informative. I saw some interesting statements on the site. Maybe I'll get lucky and have to do a report on Thailand.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So much good to say about the site: nice colors, what info was already posted was excellent - the kind of stuff that you don't always find elsewhere, but that is SOOOO practical (business hours, detailed crime and dangers section, etc.) If and when I get a chance to get over to your part of the world, I will unquestionably use your site before and while I am there. It's the kind of info that let's you feel at home in place you've never been before.

Few very minor critiques, since you asked about the navigation. Overall, it is well-organized. I like the fact that you can look info up by general subject, by region or by province name. That is great! I would add a heading under Background Info for Places to Stay, something like that. Did I miss the section on this topic? Couldn't find it, but I think even vague info on what's generally available, price ranges and how/where to find more specific info would be helpful.

Last thing is REALLY picky and has to do with the visual presentation of the nav menus on the left. I would probably put a blank line between the top graphic and the first menu heading to visually associate the heading with the first list of menu items. Then I might also bullet the lists just to differentiate items more, especially in the rare case where an item takes more than one line (i.e. - "Dangers, safety and Crime advice").

Good luck with the site. I look forward to seeing the finished product!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only found *one* usability issue, and this might be nit-picking. Your "go" button below the "pick a province" on the left is a little too far from the drop-down box. Your buttons for the two items directly below that are much closer to their respective boxes. It dis-associates the "go" button from the drop-down box...sort of leaves it out on an island.

And this is just personal preference, not really a criticism per se, but having your left and top margins set to "0", especially with white-space at right, sort of upends the balance cart.

Viewed on IE 5.0 @ 1024x768...

------------------
    Pat Burroughs
    Wheels-off Web Design
    The Wheels-Off Website