SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I have started on online parrot supply store www.yourparrotplace.com and would appreciate any comments you have on it's general design and store design/functionality.

The site is fully functional. Please keep in mind that most of our customers seem to be new to online shopping. I was aiming for simplicity and easy navigation so I don't confuse them. I am always looking for ways to improve the site.

Thank you for your help!

Taylor Knight

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~~~ This site is Approved ~~~

Bring your store to the front of the site. Right now its buried too deeply. Do you want to sell oyster shells and calcium bars or not? Put a search box right on the Index page, let them find what they want and pull out their wallet immediately.

You can bury other stuff like the egroups graphics. You can use egroups but call it a Mailing List instead of an eGroup. People know what a Mailing list is. eGroup sounds so 90's.

Instead of having a separate bookstore with a different layout integrate that into the rest of your sites. Don't you think the book on Scarlet Macaws would sell better next to a large wrought iron cage or a swing? Put "Breeding your cockatoos" next to the nesting boxes. See where I am headed here?

Overall the layout is fine, loads fast and is fairly easy to use.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the site looked great... Until I saw the counter! I don't think it really matches your design nor layout.
    The logo is great and everybody who comes on your site immediately knows were it's about. But Wluke is right, you should bring your products more to the front.

------------------
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great design (overall for main page)
    Bookstore does not look too clean with 800 x 600 resolution.
    Site loads really fast (over cable) though Shop Online page does not seem to load.
    In my opinion a 3/5 page and should end up prospering and creating a lot of income if marketed correctley.

------------------
    Thanks, WebmasterMattD
    http://members.xoom.com/webmattd/index.html

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you have a winner on your hands here. If marketing is planned righ you will see the revenue you want. However I found that it took a few too many clicks to get to the core of what your site is designed for. YOUR GOODS. Put what you are selling as clost to the front as possible. I noticed also that the layout changed a couple times most noticabely the bookstore. The navigation also changed within certain sections. try to integrate navigation to keep users from having to "go back" to get to certain or any other sections of the site.
    Overall very impressive
    BMH

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your input. I will be working on the site today and incorporating your ideas. The online store portion of the site is actually hosted by a different company. I tried my dardest to make the two look like they were one site. I would change shopping carts, but I really like ShopZone. The only drawback is certain design restrictions, but it is solid and affordable through my ISP.

I can't believe I overlooked stuff THAT obvious. Then again, I've never sold anything online before.

Thank you all again and keep those opinions coming!

Taylork