User Tag List

Thread: Why Windows?

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why Windows?

Why Windows. I get asked a lot for Windows hosting accounts. I was just wondering why, though. It seems like a lot of times the people asking for Windows hosting could just as easily use Linux. People generally pay more for Windows hosting.
    Peter T Davis

I buy forums - PM me if you're selling.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ASP and .NET. Using them allows companies and corporations to deploy applications using unified development systems under programs like Microsoft Visual Studio. This streamlines costs because the same developers working on your desktop applications are building and maintaining your website and intranet at the same time, often re-using the same code.

Things that aren't easily possible in the Linux/Unix world.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have looked at both, and finally went with Windows. More expensive to host, yes, but also more robust dev. environment.

I love Visual InterDev environment, and the way it recognizes html tags as well as VB and JS code.

I also really apprciate SQL Server, with its great GUI, and ability to link a local and remote server almost seamlessly.
    A lot of GUI tools for mySQL (IMHO, please don't flame me) are still hack-class (again IMHO).

If server cost is your only concern, by all means Linux. If your time is also a factor in the cost analysis, then got to think a bit harder.

ezClassifieds

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, ASP and .NET are two things tht come up very often. Backend integration with SQL databases is also big. I've got one customer who has the simplest of websites, but because they want to take member information into their backend SQL database, they need to use Windows hosting.

I'm curious, though, what kind of websites use ASP and .NET that couldn't be better used with stuff like PHP? Is it all because of the backend integration that Windows hosting is needed?
    Peter T Davis

I buy forums - PM me if you're selling.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Backend intergration with SQL Server isn't the biggest draw to Windows servers, in my opinion. Most IT dept's we deal with, and those who ask for MS services exclusively, are familiar with Windows servers, most of their legacy software is MS and they feel most comfortable maintaining (i.e. patching) Windows boxes. There is a certain amount of brand loyalty that is important to them as well.

But yep, if you have a SQL server database, you'd need to host via Windows if you want to tie that all up...to the best of my knowledge. For smaller sites, and lots of even bigger sites, using PHP or ColdFusion will do the job perfectly. Don't believe the hype. If you are a good enough programmer you can scale up your work to an enterprise level if you've structured it correctly, and in many cases, you don't need to use large frameworks like .NET to do it. MS just wants you to believe that, because how else are they going to sell .NET server 2003?

Don't get me wrong. I am all for writing apps that can be extended and deployed across a huge network of uses. XML Web Services have their place in the land of corporate projects. I am just beginning to branch out into J2EE, and I can see the validity of such tools in a bigger organization that might require them. But that doesn't mean that the majority of sites on the web even remotely require this type of undertaking for their needs.

geof
    Last edited by Geof Harries; Oct 17, 2002 at 17:29.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing to consider with Windows hosting is that if MS cracked down on it's licensing there wouldn't be as many hosts offering MS SQL server - because most use a per CPU license, which you can't use for shared hosting, you need an ASP (Application Service Provider) license to use MS SQL for shared hosting - and you have to phone MS to find out about pricing, and you know what they say, "If you have to ask how much it is, you can't afford it".
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a novice server administrator. I administer 3 servers... one Windows, One Linux, and one Unix. I Have no clue what I'm doing. As I read your posts I can see that you all are way above me in expertise. I'm a bit nervous working with Unix and Linux since I don't have much experience with these systems. Windows on the other hand is easier to work with but requires more attention; security is a big issue with Windows...I suspect that is why it costs more to host with Windows??. I have had a difficult time trying to intall new applications on Unix and Linux servers. Few months ago I wanted to install phpbb. I really wanted to install it on my Unix server but I had a difficult time trying to install PHP and MYSQL. I finally ended up installing it on my Windows server. It was really easy to install on Windows.
    Last edited by DirtDiga; Oct 23, 2002 at 12:05.