SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My site at http://www.emudreams.web.com needs to be reviewed. Comments are welcome since I don't really know whether I should use a whole load of graphics. That's especially because I want my page to load fast (pure HTML) and keep the design very simple.
    Please keep in mind that it's my first real site and this is only the second big update/redesign. Thanx!

------------------
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~~~ This site is Approved ~~~

Sorry with your topic pure HTML is not gonna make it. Add some design to the site. Liven it up a little.

Needs something to separate the site from its thousands of competitors.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't access this one - you've got this sitting in your frameset:
    <frameset cols="82>
    <HR><H3>Transfer interrupted!</H3>
    order=no framespacing=0 border=0>
    <frame src="main.html" name="main">
    <frame src="menu1.html" name="menu">
    </frameset>

Looked a little odd to me.

Dr Gonzo

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pictures you have in the menu are completely unneciserry. Normal text links would work just as fine, especially since you're using Arial in the buttons. Either make a more creative button, or leave the menu HTML.

I would move the FastCounter to the bottom of the page. You should consider aligning the text to the left, which makes it more readable. The black background is a good choice given the site's "underground" topic.

It would be better to leave all menu options in the right frame at all times, so you can quickly switch sections without going back to "main".

My last suggestion is to *change the link colors*. The plain text color is exactly the same as the link color, and the visited link color. This is VERY BAD. If you improve only one thing on your site today, it should be this.

Overall, not a bad site for a beginner, and your content is very good. Your clean design shows that you have it in you. In your next redesign, focus on improving the color scheme, and definately drop the frames.

I hope this helps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll update my site at 2/7. I've removed the fastcounter-counter and I'm now working on a new design.
    About the menu: I don't agree that I should use different buttons (or no buttons) 'cause those buttons are just .gif images, 16 colors and thus extremely small in size (>1 K).
    Using a background could be a solution, but I'm not sure yet. Any fancy ideas?
    I've checked the whole frameset, and it looks ok to me (and to DreamWeaver), and since I haven't heard anyone else complain...

------------------
    Webmaster www.emudreams.web.com

[This message has been edited by Elledan (edited July 01, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh-oh...frames.

They look okay on your site...but they're just not needed...I'd ditch them if it's not too much trouble...they don't serve any significant purpose in my opinion.

Wayne's right: sites about wrestling, computer games, video games, emulators, etc...all need to have some high level graphics...maybe a "metal" look to it all would fit...

------------------
    Chris Bowyer
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi I tried again and cannot access the site. I get the free add pop up thingy, but the screen to your site is blank.

I'm on win 98 NN 4.71, you may want to test the site with that set-up to see if it works for you.

Cheers

Dr Gonzo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's strange... I use Win98 with NN 4.73 too and I don't have those problems, maybe it's something else, but you're still the only one who has those problems.
    About the frames: I use them to save time while designing the site, else I'll have to make the menu on each site again. I did that on one of my first sites and I spend most of my time on getting the menu right on each page
    And the design... How do you change those grey tables in nice looking graphics? I'm less than a novice if it's about design/graphics, so I think I could use some help with that

------------------
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just checked out your site and had a few comments.

I am using IE5. The link is broken to yoru FAQ button and to whatever is under the "Please vote at:"

Consider aligning your text to the left to make ite easier to read.

I have to agree that the frames really don't add anything to your site.

I, personally, love your logo.

When I clicked on ROMS - I got a sub-menu type for illegal and legal roms. There was also a blue UP arrow which brought back the rest of the menu. I would consider dropping that in favor of keeping the entire memu visible even if you have a sub-menu pop up .

Taylor Knight www.yourparrotplace.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, I have to agree with a previous post -LOVE the logo!

I would use that as the guide to the rest of the visual design of the site. I think a few things would really pump it up pretty quickly.

First, I know you said that you didn't really agree about changing the buttons because they load fast. What about if you change the plain straight lines to dagger-like lines - like the vertical and horizontal ones in the logo? I wouldn't think these would add significantly to the load time and should be fairly easy to create using some copying and pasting from the logo in a decent graphics program.

Second, the thing I least like on the site is that combo of flourescent lime green on teal. First, the teal doesn't really match the color in the logo. To create a more unified look, try #006699 for the background color rather that #006666. I think this will be closer. If not, visit Visibone's site and play around there some.

As someone else mentioned, make the links different colors from the rest of the text. I'm not a stickler for traditional blue links, like some people, but they should definitely be a different color from the text. If black will stand out enough on the blue bg, maybe black for the regular text with white for links and the green for visited links?

I also feel there should be a border around the text area if you are going to set it off with different color bg. Maybe a silver border? Just an idea.

These are just suggestions. I'm not sure how they would actually look. But I would really encourage you to repeat design and color elements in all the major parts of your pages (i.e. - logo, main text area, nav buttons, etc.). This will help create a unified, signature site style that will become part of the site's identity as much as the content is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I almost feel emberassed to have this design, sahar But please keep in mind that I based my site on Zophar's Domain (www.zophar.net) and Emusanet (www.emusanet.com) if you visit those sites, you'll see they're quite similar.
    I do want to redesign the whole site, but that will take a lot of time since I'm not really good at creating graphics and using them as most professionals do
    At least you gave me an idea what I should change, and I must say that I really like you suggestions! If someone could offer me some free survices whith those graphics or give me a link to a usefull tutorial...

(The logo was kind of an accident. I was trying Xara Webstyle when suddenly this one 'materialized' from nothing )

------------------
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no reason to be embarassed by your site. The key is that you watch, listen and learn to continually improve. GO check out the flash history of this site to see how it has improved. I posted the address to the first site I built earlier today in the Web Page Design forum. We all have to start some where and I can guarantee you that everyone (and I mean everyone) in these forums once had a site like yours is today.

Now take these reviews, look at a few other sites and improve where you think it needs improving. We'll be here to help along the way if you need it.

The best tutorials in my opinion for beginners are on Web Reference in their Graphics section. They are written by Wendy Peck and they are very good. There are quite a few available now so go check them out.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

[This message has been edited by wluke (edited July 03, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Wluke! I'll read those tutorials and will make my site much better looking.

(you don't think it's a bad site now, or do you?)

------------------
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your current site does not support a monitor using 800 x 600 resolution, it has ugley looking sroll bars all over the place and I am not a big fan of seeing pages that use frames.

Banner design is of good quality though the color choice is one I personaly would not have made.

Some pages take a while to load, though your choice of navigation is one that may be a bit comples and could have been done differently so all main pages are accessible from each page.

Overall a 2.5/5

There is a lot of room for improvement.

------------------
    Thanks, WebmasterMattD
    http://members.xoom.com/webmattd/index.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've convinced me, guys, I'll drop the frames! It will take more than two weeks before I'll update the new version, so please be patient. I've got only one mayor question remaining: since you use the same menu on each page, how can you copy the menu? Using tables?
    At 800x600 there shouldn't be any scrollbars, but I'll take a look at it.

------------------
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First I would ditch the frames if at all possible. Second contrary to your quote of "Pure HTML" I would say you need some origionality. Design some stunning graphics that do not take long to load. The navigation is not too impressive. Perhaps create buttons instead of simple text. The method in which the menu uses to navigate forces the user to "go back" in a sense which i did not like. Overall the site was impressive
    BMH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let us know how the revamp comes along...we'll be here to help whenever we can.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer - Programmer in Training
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."