SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, here's revision 3 to request a review for. I kept my last "face" for my site for about 6 months, but between the fact that new features needed to be added and the load time of the front page was getting unbearable, I opted for a complete rework.

My site is located at http://www.connecttexoma.com and is a regional informaiton site for my local area.

Some things to mention:
    - the Texoma area consists of counties on and around the border of northeast Texas and southeast Oklahoma. I'm telling you this because I can't put it on the page itself. I've tried convincing my boss otherwise, but it's just one of those "don't go there" things.
    - I'm especially worried about whether or not the tables I've got set up look right. I tested the site at all resolutions from 640x480 to 1024x768. Our target audience seems to use that range of resolutions. I also tested the site with both IE 5 and NS 4.7, both load everything well.
    - I've still got some work to do on the search feature (it doesn't like single quotes... that's a Cold Fusion thing I know I need to fix).

Thanks in advance!

Hatton Humphrey
    Webmaster, Connecttexoma.com http://www.connecttexoma.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~~~ This site is approved ~~~

The layout looks much better and a lot more professional than it did previously. You also have a really good color combination.

The single quote isn't really a Cold Fusion thing but a SQL thing. SQL uses single quotes as String delimiters. You should be able to override it by using two single quotes together (''). Test it with your database to see if it works. If it works with your database then just replace all the single qoutes with two single quotes before you submit it to the server.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Moderator/Internet Media Developer
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I visited you web site and took a good look. Here are a few suggestions:

(1) The site looks kind of dull and boring. Maybe try a new color scheme.

(2) Avoid using phrases such as "the ultimate information site" or "we provide professional services".

They actually make you look unprofessional.

------------------
    Nishank Khanna
    Freelance Web Designer
    Graphic Axis (www.graphicaxis.com)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Comments above just go to show you how tastes can vary.

I think the site has a nice, clean, straight-forward appearance and I like the color scheme. It's not INCREDIBLY visually interesting, but not bad. IF you want to add something visually,I'd keep it pretty simple - maybe use the burnt-orange color that is used for the headings on some of the pages a little more (where - I don't know). I like that color with the blue and the light background. Other than that, maybe a simple, unobtrusive bg image to go behind text in the main content section. (Again, I don't know what, exactly, but....)

Really, I think the site is fine as it is. All links that I tried worked well. It's easy to navigate. Looks like good information (which, as a Dallasite who likes the border area for weekend camping trips, I plan to use).

I would probably make the headings a little larger (bold too?) in comparisson to the rest of the text. As it is, except for the color, they don't really standout from the text below them.

Good luck with the site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the site...but I would change the "cream" color to make it a bit lighter...a little bright right now...try this: #F7F7E1.

I know that seems VERY light but it comes out much brighter when spread across an entire page's background.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reviews so far!

On the wording, that was something that was determined by my (somewhat stubborn) employer...

TWT, I did try the color you recommended and showed it to the "powers that be". I was given a dirty look. (*sigh*) Sometimes working for a "mom-n-pop" business can be a PITA!

Once again, thanks for all the comments!

Hatton Humphrey
    Connecttexoma.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't see your older ones, but there's not to much wrong with this one. More color variety is difently needed. maybe some colorful horizontal bars somewhere in there. However, like others are saying, it is very strightforward and gets the point across. Nothing is worse then getting to a website and not being able to figure out what it actually is there for.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should check the site in netscape 6 when i pulled it up the tables didn't display correctly.

Also in your HTML you open the head tag but you never close it... /HEAD>

Steve

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought Netscape 6 was a Pre-Release Beta.

And thank you, I missed that </head>.

Hatton

[This message has been edited by kc5sig (edited June 29, 2000).]

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Netscape 6 is still beta but because the current version of netscape is so behind and slow some users have already switched to it. Also when it is released I would think you would want your site compliant right away.

Steve

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really like the blue navigation bar at the 'creamy' background, but that's personal. Maybe you would better not use so much bold words, it makes the site look a bit messy. Nice design.

------------------
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) I would add some type of bullet next to each of your menu items. For some reason menu's w/o bullets makes them look unorganized to me.

2) The top logo part looks too bulky for my taste. You have all that blue space which isn't filled up. Then just the "ConnectTexoma" text, which is kinda boring in my opinion. What's that thing on the left side anyway?

Overall I don't like it much.

------------------
    Justin Stayton
    WEB: http://www.j.cx
    EMAIL: justin@j.cx