SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: JumpThru Design

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got sick of my old site (which you can see listed as the first site in my signature) and decided to redo it with a more professional look. What do you guys think of it? http://www.jumpthru.com/Tmp

Thanks!

------------------
    Nate
    nate@jumpthru.com
    ICQ 70944023
    http://www.jumpthru.com - Free web hosting.
    http://www.webmaster-sources.com - Build your site today!
    http://www.funandfreestuff.com - Because life was meant to be free.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~~~ This site is Approved ~~~

Good design and layout. Not too much text though which is a bad thing.

Also putting all your text in graphics is bad considering:1) it can't be resized, 2) It can't be read by the browsers the Blind use. 3) Many people still surf with images off, again unreadable site. 4) Load time is increased a lot. 5) Misspellings are harder to correct like "business" on the services page. .

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Moderator/Internet Media Developer
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nate,

I thought the site looked ok, though the front page made me think of microsoft - not a big deal, but was my first impression.

I agree with what wluke said about the text in graphics stuff - I saw no real compelling reason to do it that way.

The section which displayed your other work was too narrow for my taste.

Otherwise simple and clean design that is easy to navigate and my girlfriend liked it (she almost never likes any of the sites on offer here!)

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wluke - I aggree it is bad. But 1) If its resized it loses the look I wanted. 2) As a web design company for small buissness owners, our target audience is not the blind. 3) Yes, true, some surf with images off. But once again, our target audience likly to have images engaged... 4) Actually it isn't increased that signifignatly. 5) I have already correct all mis spellings and all text is kept in a vector png file, which makes editing text extremly easy.

Dr Gonzo - Microsoft? Strange, lol. I cant get the font I want without the text graphics. Having the portfolio as is, makes it appear a bit larger, and also it wont fit side by side. Not a major issue really anyways, I think. Glad your girl friend liked it!

Thanks for you comments.

------------------
    Nate
    nate@jumpthru.com
    ICQ 70944023
    http://www.jumpthru.com - Free web hosting.
    http://www.webmaster-sources.com - Build your site today!
    http://www.funandfreestuff.com - Because life was meant to be free.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nate, I visited your site and the layout does look very nice. Here are a few suggestions:

(1) Try using only one font for the intro graphic.

(2) The site looks a little too plain. Maybe you could try adding a header graphic on the rest of the pages.

(3) Try reducing the length of the line (in the bottom, navigation graphic). It seems a too long.

------------------
    Nishank Khanna
    Freelance Web Designer
    Graphic Axis (www.graphicaxis.com)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I like the opening graphic, including the various fonts used in it.

The services page has a few grammar mistakes:

1. Technically, the second paragraph should probably be one sentence. Replace the period with a comma and make the B lower case. However, this may be one of those times when grammar rules can be broken to accentuate an overall style.

2. Last paragraph should read "And we're here...." Note the apostrophe because it is a contraction for "we are" in this case.

Only other thing I would probably do is make the sites on the "Clients" page open in new windows. I prefer this on sites such as yours so that people always have your site lurking in the background to remind them who designed it and so that they can just close the new window to get back to your page rather than backspace.

Generally, I liked the look of the site. It's simple, clean and to the point. Good luck with it!

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Jumpthru!

If I were a visitor looking to hire a web designer, the first thing I would instinctively look for is some text to keep me informed and interested.

A lot of your visitors may be surfing with their images off as well, so they'd miss out on the neat graphics you're showing.

Personally I like to learn a little bit more about the company before I delve any further into their site. I think you should add an "About Us" and FAQ page or something similar..It's a big help

I like your choice of colors and the simplicity of your site. Good slogan too!

Hope this helps!
    Sparkie

------------------
    Web Design with PURRsonality...

www.pawsitronic.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Nate,

I like the website. It looks good, and I think it is well designed. I agree with Sparkie that you should include stuff like "About Us" and a "FAQ". Also I think that you should work on the layout of the Clients section. It seemed like a whole lotta white space to me. But, other than that it looks great.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The colours and design seems simple and concise. I don't like the use of graphic rather than text on the service and contact page, and it doesn't really tell the client what you do. To me, it just sounds like a lot of hype.

The screenshots under the Client section seems ugly, because they were probably taken at a computer with high screen resolution. I would suggest those to be taken at 800x600, as it would look better for your portfolio.

[This message has been edited by Smegged Up (edited June 23, 2000).]

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought my site was small...

Add much, much more information, and try to do something about the first image, there's something wrong with the combination of those colors.

------------------
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think content is a problem 'cause I believe jumpthru was just going for a simple look where people can view his portfolio and services easily. Correct? I don't think he wanted to create a big design firm feel.

Anyway...

1) You need a logo. Just the jumpthru text, which hardly ever is shown, isn't enough. You need a full blown logo that can be shown on every page.

2) The graphic text is interesting. I don't think I've ever seen a whole site where all the text was turned into graphics. I think I know why though. Is it because you didn't like what plain text looked like with the other graphics? Anyway, for a design business I think this can slide.

3) On some of the pages the menu is below the fold. Not good. Maybe I would try putting that bottom menu at the top instead, along with maybe a new logo.

Other then that it's nice and clean...

------------------
    Justin Stayton
    WEB: http://www.j.cx
    EMAIL: justin@j.cx