SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I just finished up the new designs for http://www.hostrocket.com and was wondering if people would take a look and give me some input.

Here are the two possibilities: http://www.hostrocket.com http://www.hostrocket.com/temp

Please let me know what you like about each of them and which you like better from a "looking for a web host" point of view.

-Brendan Brader
    brendan@hostrocket.com http://www.hostrocket.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~~~ This site is approved ~~~

I like Hostrocket.com better. Especially the rocket image in the title bar. Gives the site a better "Branding" like appeal.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Moderator/Internet Media Developer
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely the one with the rocket. The other one looks really "cyber" and mid-90's.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definately the one with the rocket. The other one looks sorta like an arcade game.

The designs are good, but the amount of information presented is more than overwhelming. Cut down on the text! It's great to present a lot of information, but if you have too much people simply won't read any of it.

On the left bar, you didn't specify a font. It is at Times (default) for me, which doesn't go too well with Arial. Also, on the left you have default colors for links. Purple and blue don't mix with red and black. Also, both default font and default link colors are at the bottom center of both designs.

Overall, great design. I think you should try out MSN IM (http://messenger.msn.com) so you can add it to your "Tech Support" area. Also, you might want to give Yahoo! Messenger a shot too.

------------------
    http://redrival.com/trcfreebies/
    Get more hits, for free!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I highly agree with the others...the cute little cartoon rocket is a good way to brand your site and looks not only more professional, but friendlier as well. I would also like to second trcfreebies' recommendations: MSN Messenger Service and less text on the mainpage.

Great layout!

------------------
    Chris Bowyer
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mmmmmmm i like the rocket without any doubt and they page is sweet don't get me wrong. its easy to navigate the speed is good and content is informative but when i look at it i keep thinking there must be a color other than black you can use as the background. I don't know why i just feel something else..maybe play about with diffrent colors. Just to add that bit of extra life instead of the black viod surrounding it.

Put it this way look at the page right in the middle and just stare at it.... what so you see. well all i see is two huge black borders closing in on me...

Just take two min and change it to a brighter color jsut go mad and you might be surprised.

Scott

----------------------------------------
    Please note when i review i just tell it as i see it and am not complaining or anything so please do not take anything i say personaly
    ---------------------------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

If I we can get this up to 20 reviews, I will give away 2 free level 1 hosting accounts on hostrocket.com for 3 months each : ) Keep the comments coming, I really do plan on using them!

-Brendan Brader
    brendan@hostrocket.com http://www.hostrocket.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also think that hostrocket.com is better than the temp design. Although I believe that hostrocket.com can be improved.

Firstly I think that there is too much information packed into the index page, way too much. It looks very cluttered.

Secondly the left hand news bar does not look great, i.e. the way the contents of it is arranged. The darker cell that says HostRocket News does not look right because news is not lined up with Hostrocket. Maybe you should have an image here or possibly bold text?

The red text for the dates does not look good because red on grey is a bad idea (in my opinion as it is hard to read, granted though that you only have a small amount of red on grey but I still would try to avoid this).

Maybe you should add some rounded corners, even if it is just curves with a small radius
    (an example of this can be seen in the curves on the top horizontal nav bar on sitepoint).

The text at the very bottom does not look good, especially the blue text on black, the black background sucks the visibility out of the blue text, like yellow on white, or red on grey.

The main color scheme (i.e. red, white and black) is a bit common but is fine as the colors go well together. Personally I think I would go with shades of blue (not pure blue as in #0000ff) and white.

I really like your logo, it's very nice. Simple but effective and it is a logo that can easily be "upgraded", i.e. you can tweak it to suit different designs and color schemes but as long as you keep the text and the rocket your brand will not change drastically.

I know I have listed a lot of negative things about the design but most are just minor quibbles. I was nit picking for most of the post. Your design is pretty solid right now but I believe if you can make a few minor changes the design of the site can improve greatly.

PS: I will be adding hostrocket to my list of possible hosts for projects I am doing in the summer. Your prices are reasonable and you have some great features like php and mysql. Maybe you could install php4 with zend optimizer.

Oh and one more thing I didn't notice info on bandwitdth in your hosting plans page. I know you do have restrictions because I remember seeing them on your old design.

------------------
    Gem
    Summer's here - OH YEAH!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I like the rocket logo better also.

My first impression was, whoa, there's way to much text here for me to focus on anything.

I feel that there should be some sort of welcome or intro that is draws your attention in. The way you have it now, I don't know where to look.

When I go to the hosting plan section, there are three levels offered, but the only difference seems to be the price. What's my motivation for choosing one of the higher ones?

The Control Panel section has a whole bunch of 'click here' links. That is a little confusing. I would think that the links should be related to where they go.

Just a personal opinion (like all the rest of my comments), but the color scheme isn't really very friendly, especially the black background.

I know that the features are very important, but perhaps the fonts don't have to be so big.

In general, I would just try to clean up the presentation with a little more white space.

Maybe that is of some help

Your hosting offerings seem good!

Adam

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe bullets instead of just line breaks on the right side, "Features," on / (not /temp).

Get PHP4 with the Zend Optimizer...not only is it better for your clients but for you too because it uses less server processing time.

Don't use /temp, because the / is excellent and it brands your service a LOT more.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am seriously considering HostRocket as the host for my relaunch of a site.

I really want them, and the free account would really help, so to all: get postin!

UPDATE
    I just signed up for HostRocket. Everything is going really smoothly. I highly recommend them, so give them a shot!

------------------
    Get more hits, for free!

[This message has been edited by trcfreebies (edited June 13, 2000).]

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Minor suggestion: the white space at the top needs to be filled in somehow. I would use some sort of rocket graphic in that area if I were you.

------------------
    Get more hits, for free!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as logo goes, I like the "/" site better, but I also really like the font you used for the "/temp" site. Maybe combine them. I agree with the others that you gotta keep the rocket. My only complaint with the rocket logo is there seems to be too much white space--the other logo fills up the header better. The really big text on the right and the really small text in the middle looks odd and makes the page look too busy. Personally I don't like "click here" type links. The links at the bottom of the page are REALLY hard to read. I, too, am considering your hosting options but was confused about the different levels with different pricing but apparently same features .
    --Bill

------------------
    Lake Superior Smokin' Brews
    Make It Different: Brew Your Own!
    www.smokinbrews.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would definitely remove the "click here" links if at all possible. You could do something like:

"All hosting plans have been revised. They are now cheaper and better!"

...making "hosting plans" or just "plans" the link. Make the keyword(s) the link instead of having a "click here".

Also, this may be nit-picky, but your HostRocket News is not in chronological order. It goes from 6/10 to 6/9 to 5/10 to 6/1. Most-recent to least-recent is obviously best, so long as they're in order. Just a minor detail, I know, but it's a litte disorienting.

Maybe make your account features a bulleted list?

And the rocket logo is definitely a winner...

------------------
    Pat Burroughs
    The Wheels-Off Website

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site with the rocket is the way to go.

There is too much text on the main page. So much so, that the content becomes confusing. Try the approach of have a shortened version of the text, along with a link to the whole deal.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I noticed on Netscape 4.6/Linux on a 500MHz P3 with 256MB of RAM is that it takes an incredibly long time to render the pages. For example, referral_program.html took maybe 45 seconds. I have a 9.6mbps DSL line and downloading the page wasn't the problem.

It's Netscape's problem but I would suggest that maybe you make the pages less complicated.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just found another thing.

You seem to have used WeHost's agreement a little too much. Check this:
    "9.8 Transfer. You may not transfer or assign this Agreement without the written consent of We-Host."

Get that fixed--could mean I can transfer or assign this agreement without your consent, but with WeHost's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well... i feel stupid now : ( All of this stuff will be fixed by the weekend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the load time, do you have any idea why this would be? I have used the site on T-1, Cable, and Modem, and have not had any problems like this on any other connections. I have also tried netscape and IE on both. Has anyone else had this problem?

-Brendan

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    This is a very nice site. Although I am now a user of HostRocket. The new design looks really good. Also, I am just curious, who makes the ages? Also, the colors look very good, and so does the logo. All I can say is keep up the good work!

------------------
    RTS Design
    http://www.rtsdesign.com
    Coming Soon!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just noticed that at the very bottom of the page where it says "hosting agreement" and "contact" it is way too dark to read. I would recomend white font for the link.

-Steve Klebanow www.sparkgames.com