SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, here is the deal. I am starting to do a lot of adding of new features to my web site mconet.com and have decided to revamp the main interface and main page a little.

Please check: http://www.mconet.com/n.html
    and tell me what you think.

Thanks in advance.

------------------
    Jason VandeBoom
    webmaster@mconet.com
    http://www.mconet.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~~~ This Site is Approved ~~~

The different color boxes cause eye strain. At least to me they do. This is somewhat alleviated though when the backgrounds load.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Moderator/Internet Media Developer
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with wluke about the boxes--they cause some eye strain. Even though they look fine once they load it took quite a while for the page to completely load for me. But if you expect your audience to have high speed contecitons that probalby won't be a problem. The text is a little hard to read in the red and green boxes (more so in the red one). Otherwise, it looks really nice .
    --Bill

------------------
    Lake Superior Smokin' Brews
    www.smokinbrews.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest bolding the text in the boxes to make it more legible. Also, say "Please visit out sponsor" or "Click above to visit our sponsor." The main thing with that sentence is because of it's possition, it is the first thing I read, and sponsor sounds better than advertiser. Just a non-important opinion.

Richard

------------------
    richard@brevig.com

Wise men,
    though all laws were abolished,
    would lead the same lives.
    -Aristophanes (444-380 B.C.)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I won't beat a dead horse on the boxes... I will ask a question...

I tried clicking on the links and got 404's... I'm assuming that the links are meant for this page to be in the "main" section, and it's currently not where it's supposed to be, right?

Also, the image link on your custom 404 page is broken... and there were no backgrounds in the colored boxes on the 404 page.

Content would be a good thing on the front page. You've got some news, but it's at the bottom right of the page.

Since I couldn't navigate to other sections of the site, I can't really comment on them. If you're planning on sticking with the 'box' style all the way through the site I'd have to say that you'd be throwing away a lot of space.

HTH
    Hatton Humphrey
    Connecttexoma.com

[This message has been edited by kc5sig (edited June 13, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by kc5sig (edited June 13, 2000).]

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the boxes, but I think you should make a blue one since it blends best with your background. Shorten the text under the banner, and maybe change it to read "click here to visit our sponsor"

Otherwise it looks good!
    Sparkie
    www.pawsitronic.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's well laid out and the colors a nice...but I would definetly dull them out a bit...some of them contrast a bit more than I'd like.

Overall a varied color scheme is good in my opinion for a website focusing on music...it's supposed to grab you and lift you ought of your seat. I would add more to the navbar (in terms of actual links and the way they're displayed), as well as dull some of the colors...

------------------
    Chris Bowyer
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would reduce your <title> to one descriptive title, instead of a few words...

the boxes...eh...they don't do anything for me...you need MORE DIRECTION.

it would also be nice to have content.

but it looks pretty good...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the layout. I could not see some of the images. mlogo in the upper left corner. and 500ad same side near the bottom. How about some of the content that you offer in the Newsletter be on the home page. I agree with others about the sponsor thing. I would suggest "Visit our Sponsors". I like the colors also. I viewed your page in IE5 with a 24000 bps connection. It was fast enough for me.

James
    Jim's Web Stuff www.jimswebstuff.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest having some general title to tie everything together. Right now the page seems very fragmented. What is this site that I have just arrived at? I can see that it is called M Beta, but what is that? What is it that I can do here? (These are all just possible initial reactions.) There perhaps could be a small intro section above the boxes which explains the site. Something to grab people as soon as the page loads...

I would also suggest making the titles on each box either larger or bolder or a different color. Something to differentiate them from the other text in the boxes.

By the way, I think the background in the boxes is cool!

Take Care,

Adam

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea you are working with here. I am a very symmetric type of person so the text/ads on left did not work for me. I might also recommend chopping off the empty space at the bottom of each image therefore saving your user's screen space and scrolling needed. I like the revamp.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I've got a few suggestions for you.
    1) get rid of the line telling people they can click on the banner to visit a sponsor - 99.999999% of people assume that that is a banner ad and know what it will do if they click on it - I think you're stating the obvious here.

2)As per other comments, I found that the boxes just gave me a headache, there is no clear titling and I think it is a mstake having one of the two top boxes deal with 404's - are poeple going to get so many of these that this prominent display is warranted - I hope not!

3)I totally agree with Adam re page fragmentation, to me the page looks like it forgot to add its title!

4)White link colours damage the usability of the site and will confuse users.

5)I reallly don't think the boxes work, maybe fade them more and wash them into the blue background

6)When I went to the band page I came across the newsletter subscription thingy - is that the same newsletter that is on the frontpage or a different one just about bands. You should have the subscription box on one page and one page only unless you are offering differennt newsletters

7)There is no privacy statement on the site so I wouldn't sign up for the newsletter anyway!

8)The $500 thing stands out like a sore thumb. You need other titles for the interesting parts of the site to compete against this logo - at the moment it dominates the site

9)What is M and M Beta. Nowhere on the site does it say who or what M is.

10)You have funny double spaces spread through the text - you need to tidy them up.

Anyway hope some of the above is of use.

Dr Gonzo