User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

question about changing hostname on my VPS

hi..

just a brief overview.. i registered for a linux cpanel VPS with my 1st site when i started... let's say www.happy.com...

so the VPS was automatically assigned the hostname server1.happy.com .........

now i have a new website.. www.sad.com......

i want to change the hostname because i don't want the hostname for the www.sad.com domain to be server1.happy.com (seems a bit ironic doesn't it?)

can i register a new domain and use it to be the hostname.. example: www.website.com .. then i change the hostname on my VPS to server1.website.com..

so in this case.. both www.happy.com and www.sad.com will have the hostname server1.website.com ?

or does the hostname NOT show up anywhere so i will not need to change it? my whole point of changing the hostname is because i don't want people to see www.sad.com having a hostname from server1.happy.com..

hope i made myself clear enough for u to help me..

thanks in advance!

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No idea, but I've had a lot of web servers in my day and I've never had one where the machine's hostname matched anything that was being served.

Twitter: @TimIgoe silver trophy TimIgoe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    More often than not, hosting server names don't actually match what they host. No.

Take the default host name for any server from a big company, and its usually... <someform of encoding of ip address>.hostingcompany.com - 123-123-234-123.hostingcompany.com as an example.

To change a Linux hostname, it will depend slightly on which flavour of Linux it is, Redhat and similar for example, stores the hostname in /etc/sysconfig/networking - I can't just off the top of my head rememeber where debian etc stores it.