Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duplicate Content Issue

Hi!

I submitted an article to a site. I wrote that article bu myself, of course after adequate research on the net. But no part of it was copied at all. Now when I submitted the article, the site said that it was a duplicate.
    This has happened twice more.

Can someone help me out and tell me what happened, please?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There exists a deli that doesn't carry my favorite pastrami. Can you tell me why?

No, we can't really help you out. You should ask the people running the mystery site.

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Which site said it was a duplicate?

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    As Dan said, contact the site and ask them why they considered your article a duplication. Could be that some of your text already appears in other articles or it could be just that someone else has already covered your topic and the site feels the first article was better written.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried to Google each and every sentence of your article? If not, then try it once.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you happen to quote someone in your article? I was once accused of duplicating content as well. It was just a single line in the article where I had quoted someone word-for-word - not allowed to do that.

SitePoint Enthusiast WebOutGateway's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the most of replies here, you should contact the site's administrators and ask why they didn't approve your article. Moreover, I think it would be much better if you set up your own blog and post all your written articles, just in case your purpose of writing is purely for information sharing and not article marketing or something like you will earn money from the web

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joekelly View Post
    try to check your article with this

Copyscape Plagiarism Checker - Duplicate Content Detection Software

this will show you that is your article is duplicate or unique.
    No, it will tell you if Copyscape thinks your article is duplicate content. It doesn't tell you if Google thinks your article is duplicate content (which is far more relevant), and it certainly doesn't tell you if your article actually is duplicate content.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    No, it will tell you if Copyscape thinks your article is duplicate content. It doesn't tell you if Google thinks your article is duplicate content (which is far more relevant), and it certainly doesn't tell you if your article actually is duplicate content.
    I use copyscape regularly and it doesn't tell you if copyscape "thinks" your article is duplicated. It compares all texts it finds word-for-word so you can make the decision.

What Google "thinks" is not more relevant to a writer. The ability to compare what you have written with texts found on different sites certainly is relevant.
    Linda Jenkinson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by annabelle07 View Post
    Did you happen to quote someone in your article? I was once accused of duplicating content as well. It was just a single line in the article where I had quoted someone word-for-word - not allowed to do that.
    Yes, it happened with me also but today many website are looking at the wording.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked with the site, guys. I told them the issue and they said probably a phrase or two was found same. It isn't possible to write each and every phrase in a unique way, eg what about idioms. They said they'll accept the article and review it.

Thanks for all the help, guys !

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Duplicate Content Issue can be checked with the help of Copy Scape tool, which tells you even the percentage up to which the content is copied. Unique Content is essential in a website
    Last edited by Shyflower; Aug 17, 2011 at 07:13. Reason: removed signature

SitePoint Enthusiast balivillas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webguru11 View Post
    Hi!

I submitted an article to a site. I wrote that article bu myself, of course after adequate research on the net. But no part of it was copied at all. Now when I submitted the article, the site said that it was a duplicate.

I think it happens to me too but I'm guessing the Title I used has already many versions in the category.

Or usually, if you already submitted your article to other article site and already published, it could be the reason why the directory noted that your article already have other copies in the net.

SitePoint Enthusiast florida_buddy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked with the site, guys. I told them the issue and they said probably a phrase or two was found same. It isn't possible to write each and every phrase in a unique way, eg what about idioms. They said they'll accept the article and review it.

Thanks for all the help, guys !
    That is good to hear. Some article checkers are really more strict than others so your issue is not unique. For me it is better to have those around, we are really getting a lot of garbage articles to increase rankings nowadays.

What you did was right, ask the admin. If they think your article is worthy of being published they will manually approve it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree i ve been writing reviews for some time now.Do you know how hard it is to write article/review for some tech product.Only tittle has 5+ words that makes all review not unique in the eyes of unique check tools.Google does push back page with ""duplicate review" only if it is on the site that has many pages with "duplicate" reviews.
    Tbh this is not a problem if YOU are writing content it is a problem when you are rewriting

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IvanNis View Post
    Tbh this is not a problem if YOU are writing content it is a problem when you are rewriting
    So true... what a tangled web we weave....

If you are properly researching and putting your own ideas into a review there should be no problem. It has always puzzled me how someone can review something they have never used. If you've used it, read it, bought it (or have been given a comp) then you should have no problem stating your own opinions on the item.
    Linda Jenkinson

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsjullia View Post
    Many articles sites have the issue of Duplicate Content. I am confused that when we write a new content and check it through the Google. Google shows that it is not duplicated with any other content but when we added on the articles sits some sits are add this but some are show the Duplicate Content Issue. Plz tell me about this. I don not understand it.
    What you need to do is read through this thread as this topic has been roundly discussed here.
    Linda Jenkinson

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shyflower is correct, actually reviewing something rather than looking up the same info everyone one has been copying, you should be able to post a good review with your own opinions and being labeled as Duplicate content shouldn't be an issue.

I will also say, that it's not a bad idea to use copyscape. It's a decently functioning tool to help with content writers. Also a good tool for weeding out spinners when you hire someone as a content writer.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!

Hi,

It will be better if you can share with us that which website is displaying you error like 'it's a duplicate content' when you have submitted the article. So, we can help you out.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First check your content whether it is still unique. If you don't find any error you must contact to site's person where you want to submit.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by petervanlier View Post
    Hi,

It will be better if you can share with us that which website is displaying you error like 'it's a duplicate content' when you have submitted the article. So, we can help you out.
    How would that help? I don't think you need to post a link to a site to talk about how to write original content that isn't flagged for being a duplication.
    Linda Jenkinson

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello webguru11,

Firstly, which site said it was a duplicate? I doubt if this site detects duplicate content immediately, when you say that you had written the post by yourself. It could be that they have other similar post in this “mysterious” site and just accept a post by subject...

Like Dan says, contact the site and ask them why they considered your article a duplication

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canal IP View Post
    Hello webguru11,

Firstly, which site said it was a duplicate? I doubt if this site detects duplicate content immediately, when you say that you had written the post by yourself. It could be that they have other similar post in this “mysterious” site and just accept a post by subject...

Like Dan says, contact the site and ask them why they considered your article a duplication
    Wonder if webguru11 remembers, considering he posted this question last August. This is a good thread addressing the issue of duplicate content and I'd like to keep it open, but I'll close it if it becomes a fluff magnet.

BTW... a site doesn't have to "mysteriously" detect duplicate content. There are several plagiarism checkers available online today. A check takes mere seconds and it is certainly cheaper than a lawsuit for copyright infringement.
    Linda Jenkinson

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is proably check the directory with other articles in there directory and see if there is like sentences. You should ask them what parts are duplicate

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    I think in my experience Copyscape really helps me alot in terms of paragraph content.