SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please check out my site... Im looking for reviews on design, layout, size, colors, prices, just about anything. If I use your idea i'll be glad and hook you up with some free hosting or something. Thanks in advance.

Site: http://www.hostfree.cc

-Brendan Brader
    webmaster@hostfree.cc

[This message has been edited by hostfree (edited May 09, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~~~ This site has been approved ~~~

------------------
    Eric Jones - SitePoint Administrator
    http://www.sitepoint.com
    eric@sitepoint.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your site seems to be quite good, but with a bit childish look.
    In web hosting business I would think having a professional and reliable look was number one.
    Please have the topleft logo a link to the first page in the frame, after you view other pages, you cant see the beginning offer again.
    Also you cant click on the offers on the front page, you have to goto hosting plans to get more information or order.
    Is there no telnet access? or controlpanel?
    "Pre installed cgi scripts" ? which ones? You should be able to click on each item you list in your offer.
    You should add a special FAQ list.
    You are selling a product and you should give the customer as much information as possible, he should not have to send an email to ask.
    It would be extremely useful if you would add a message board for your customers where they can discuss your service and ideas. Visitors to your webpage could then see for themselves if your customers are happy or not.

Maybe I am wrong, lets see what others have to say.
    Good luck with your business.
    PS. your prices are very good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First impression - great job!

The use of frames, color choices, and graphics are original and refreshing. I also like the use of scroll boxes to list details. It seems to fit better then a really long page or another sub level of pages for each package.

I will keep it in mind as I redesign my own site if you don't mind

IMHO,
    Westmich

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Thanks both of you for taking the time to check it out. Looking at what the first review said, and then looking at the site again I agree with just about all of it. I will definatly implement some if not all of that in the next update (sometime today).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi again,

I have changed quite a bit on the site... Please check it out again and let me know what you think. Any input is appreciated. http://www.hostfree.cc

[This message has been edited by hostfree (edited May 12, 2000).]

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first thing I noticed was some spelling mistakes. Here's are 2 I found on the main page.

Hostfree.CC is the simply the best. - 2 "thes" instead of one.

One of the most important parts of any website is the speed of the server is on. - Speed of the server IT is on.

Spelling mistakes do make a difference when it comes to convincing people to choose your service.

Also, when you click on the Hosting Plans link on the left navbar it causes a javascript error down the bottom left of the browser - 'this.W3.style' is not an object.

You also have false advertising on the site. Top of the site reads "Free Domain Hosting is as easy as 1-2-3.." but you don't offer any free domain hosting at all.

On the hosting page is it really neccessary to have all the same graphics for Frontpage 2000 support, php3 and mysql support?

Bar the above, the layout/design and the color scheme is very nice.

------------------
    Soon to come,
    webmasterswork.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I have fixed the problems brought up above except im not sure what youre saying about the false advertising? Our site does offer 2 months of free hosting, and allows everyone to continue the free hosting through our referral program. I guess ill make it a little more clear on the site how it works exactly. Any other suggestions?

-B
    http://www.hostfree.cc

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

My first impression of your site was very good. The look is really a bit childish, but - why not. I have tested it in Netscape and got the following Javascript Errors:

JavaScript Error: http://hc2.humanclick.com/hc/x.js?cm...&site=1145252,
    line 110:

loop is not defined.

JavaScript Error: http://hc2.humanclick.com/hc/x.js?cm...&site=1145252,
    line 305:

imageTimer is not defined.

You should take a look at it. You should also review your site at 1024 * 768 - the middle frame doesn't exactly fit in between the upper and lower one. The black borderline moves to left.

BTW, I have reviewed it a few seconds ago, and I've got even more Javascript errors by clicking on "Contact info".

The navigation in the upper frame is cut off, add some more space for the second line of your navigation titles like "Network info", "Hosting plans" and "Contact Info".

I hope, I could help you a little bit, bye.

------------------
    Juraj Lovas
    WEBMASTER
    www.welcome.to/jackals
    jackals@superhockey.com

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not implying anything here (honestly), but was the design inspired bu https://www.registrars.com at all?

Regards,

------------------
    Soon to come,
    webmasterswork.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the your site looks pretty good. Looks decent and professional. Although I have not tested your site in different browsers, design layout is pretty good. I used IE 5x when I viewed you page. Goodluck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Thanks for the additional comments. Anyone who is getting javascript errors on my site, do you know what version your browsers are? As for the site design, it really does resemble that site. I got the design idea from a friend, Im definatly going to ask him about that since he failed to mention that he stole the idea if he did.. i suppose me might not have. Anyways, its not exactly alike.. i like mine better anyways : ) I have been having a problem getting the lines to line up in Netscape 1023x768 but have been unable to remedy the situation. Its fine in IE at that res. Does anyone know how to fix that? Does the site seem to load fast for you guys? Does the server seem fast? Thanks.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree with some comments here about your layout. While the layout may not be similar to other webhosting company websites, I think this one projects a sense of 'fun' and 'excitement' for the site - quite unconventional from other similar websites, but effective and pleasing.

However, one serious mistake is not to include a privacy policy on the website. Maybe I missed it, but privacy policy and the company's actual physical address must be clearly displayed on the website.

Other than the above 'complaints', the website looks great and functional. Maybe it'll be a good idea to get testimonials from satisfied customers, or sample of websites that host with you.

------------------
    Sharifudin Rizal
    DarkStation.Com
    No-Nonsense PlayStation Website
    http://www.darkstation.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I just redid alot of the graphics of the site... Please let me know any comments etc. I was hoping to make it more professional. The new design is http://www.hostfree.cc the old design is http://www.hostfree.cc/2 Please let me know which you like better. In reference to the address and privacy policy info, they are both covered on our "policies" page. Let me know what you think.

-Brendan Brader

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frankly i like the blend of the cartoonish gifs and the more professional (tech appealing) pics.
    I can only dream of setting up a site half as good as the one you got going, but what is life without a dream? =)P

Im going to be setting up a site of my own soon, i like the sound of your package and being that my site is a .cc also. well that just about makes us relatives hehehe

If nothing.. you got a great start!

one question... the graphics... did you create them yourself? and if so with what?

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your graphics. Very crisp and interesting.

The graphic "200vs.gif" didn't show up on the main page. I'm not too comfortable with having everything squished into a frame like that. Makes for hard reading for those who prefer smaller screen resolutions.

Also, under these resolutions, your top green nav bar doesn't show very well. It abruptly cuts off at the end of "policies", so I dont know if I'm missing something there or not.

Your title is a bit misleading "Free domain hosting Cheap domain hosting" maybe go into a little more detail there.

Plus, the word "cheap" doesn't always have a good meaning toward some people. With that word they may think that your service is not very high quality. How about using "low-cost" or "affordable" in place of cheap?

I hope this helps. Good luck with your website!

Sparkie www.pawsitronic.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Thank you for the comments on the site. Jizbot, Yes we did do all of the design work ourselves... And i look forwarding to being related to your new site : )

Next Post:
    I agree with you on the "cheap" thing and will change that next update...

Any other comments?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice overall design. I would lose the frames but of course that goes under your opinion. The graphics look like clipart from one of those $20 cd's that you pulled into a graphics program and threw on some text. Other than that it is really easy to navigate and it is straight forward about your company and prices. Overall a good website for in-house design. With some changes it can be running great in no-time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I have tried to remove some of the cartoonish look to the site, and also make the top and bottom frames a little smaller so they less interfere with the viewing of the site on low res. displays. Any impressions?

-Brendan http://www.hostfree.cc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I found out about your site from Boris who has a site at http://echodev.com/ . I just happened to stubble on this topic so I thought I might give you my input.

The design and layout is pretty solid. One complaint that I have is the use of frames, but then again that is only a personal preference. If I was you I would try to create more of a proffessional looking site instead of a colorful site. Don't get me wrong, I do think it looks good but I think it could look much better.

Chris Roane

------------------
    DevStorm.com
    www.WSResource.com
    www.FreeWebSiteTools.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, Im working on a new site design for hostfree.cc, and am changing url's to http://www.hostrocket.com . Does anyone have any opinions on the URL/site design change?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Bold print in italic is bothersome. It appears on the screen to be jagged. This is a very crucial area on your site to give negative impressions. I would change the print to just be bolded.

Your referral page needs to tell people what they will specifically receive by referring someone to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In terms of layout, the use of frames is near brilliant Their isn't much room for the new pages to load in, but it doesn't matter much.

I agree with the others a bit...Perhaps I'd be better to use dark navy blue instead of light blue, and black or very dark green instead of the lighter green there...darker, bolder colors usually result in a more professional look.

Also, for the buttons navigation bar on the left, I'd recommend a mouseover effect...perhaps you could have each little green circle light up red on the mouseover? That's what I actually expected to happen (more or less) when the page finished loading.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh one more thing: offering unlimited bandwidth might be a good idea. It's obvious you can't REALLY offer unlimited bandwidth...that's impossible...instead I'd recommend just offering a really high amount...I personally don't take such offers as "unlimited space" or "unlimited bandwidth" seriously in terms of webhosting...unlimited POP boxes, responders, sub-domains and forwarding are realistic, but unlimited bandwidth and the like make me think twice...

------------------
    Chris Bowyer
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site looks very sharp. However I'm not sure how important the "HostRocket News" sidebar is. Maybe instead of dates and "News" make it "Features."

Also, for your features in your packages. You should _really_ get PHP4 with the Zend optimizer. It'll reduce server strain but also make a good thing to brag about.

The text on the bottom with a black background is very hard to read (the links, more specifically). Netscape 4.6/Linux.

I can't find what your ICQ number is on your contact page, and I had to look at the status bar of the AIM remote to see your aimname. You should also add MSN Messenger (messenger.msn.com) to your arsenal of support messenging products.

As has been mentioned, the rocket is a good branding technique. Now when I think of rockets I'll think of HostRocket. It's very unique, too.

Your site is very good, and I am considering you for my new site.