SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi there,
    Please could you spare a moment to take a look at this London site: http://www.backpacklondon.com

It's a site for traveller's passing through London. Goodies include: entertainment, dating, travel tips, message boards(UBB), chat and more!!!

In particular, could you please tell me whether or not you find it an easy site to use?

Thanks very much if you take a look!

Cheers, and bye from London...............

Jason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~~~ This site has been approved ~~~

------------------
    Eric Jones - SitePoint Administrator
    http://www.sitepoint.com
    eric@sitepoint.com

Chris Duncan
    SitePoint Community Guest
    Hi Jason in London,
    Nice site, well laid out & organized. YES,to answer you specifically, it's quite easy to navigate throughout your site. In my opinion, you have such a warm blue background, friendly rainbow logo but I found the black border & black text disturbing kinda offbeat of the friendly atmosphere. Maybe a navy or purple text would work better with blue? Just my opinion.
    Also, why not use more of the white area in the center, for presenting your information than that small strip which runs forever? Again, just my opinion, but I think you are giving up to much page for background display.
    Overall, a good job though.
    Chris

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jason,

I thought your site's design fitted in very well with a travel site, very bright and colorful. Very fun looking. I also liked the white on dark blue background.

One thing I would suggest would be to change the font of the content inside the white section. The 'Arial' font would look nice insdead of Times New Roman, but thats just my opinion. Also, I thought that BL shooting star graphic looked a little out of place, considering everything else was within the set table and the graphic is poking out to the right.

These are very minor things. Overall, nice site

Andrew.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting site. Navigation was pretty easy to follow. Only thing I would change as to navigation is to make Transport a topic in and of itself, with subcategories as you have listed (London, UK, Europe, World). I really wouldn't have thought to look there under Traval Tips for transportation help. I figured that was a general/miscellaneous tip area.

Other than a very few (much less than I've seen on most pages) grammar/spelling errors, the only other change I'd make to the existing pages is on the Job Message Board page. Due to the darker bg color, I wasn't sure it was even part of your site, except for the logo at top. I'd switch to the blue you have on the rest of your site. Also, at high resolutions, the royal blue on navy type is somewhat hard to read.

I looked at your site at both 640x480 and 1024x768 on a PC platform. Works well in IE4 on both settings. Did not test on NN or MAC platform. If you want to decrease the empty BG space as some have suggested, try using percentage based table widths for your content area.

I would like to see a little bit about the basics of London (BASIC government and history, maybe some basic terminology). Being an American, I was at first confused by the "health" pages reference to "Councils providing fitness centers". (Your further explanation cleared it up, but i think it would be interesting and helpful to have a section dedicated to that kind of info. When I've been in a foreign country and/or met others from other countries, often the things we least expected to be different [schooling, basic government, phrases - even among all English-speakers] turned out to be very different, at times leading to confusion and at times to interesting discussions.)

Lastly, in the working section, I'd like to see info and tips on obtaining a worker's visa. Also, advise non-Europeans travelling on tourists visas that they should have some proof (ticket) of plans for going on or back from the UK. I had a friend who travelled from Israel to London and was turned back because he had planned to buy a ticket on to Holland while he was in London and the authorities thought he was just trying to illegally immigrate, more or less. This was 2 years ago and I am not sure how the new EU regulations have effected this, but . . . .

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice site! It looks clean, colourful and nicely organized.

I disagree with Chris Duncan in making the main content area bigger. Text in a narrow column of about 400 px is much easier to read than long lines of text. Don't change the text color to purple or something. Plain text is best kept white or black, IMHO. You could consider changing the title colors, but the black border and text didn't bother me that much.

The rainbow-colored logo is a bit too cheesy for my taste More importantly, it doesn't easily catch attention, as the lighter parts blend away against the white glow. An image element like the "BL" ball of flames actually looks more like a good logo

My last comment would be not to waste any 'virtual paper'. On the Entertainment page for instance, half of the content area is white. I am not so sure about that.

Otherwise, it works fine in IE5 PC, and the navigation bars are very well done.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How's it going?

Thankyou everyone who has reviewed my site, your comments were extremely helpful and eagerly considered.

Don't hesitate to request a site review from me when you're latest sites are ready.

Thanks again!!!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nicely laid-out site. I found the navigation consistent throughout.

I wouldn't use maximar's "cheesey" to define my impression of the 'BackpackLondon' logo. Garish, spectral and "erm, okay", may sum my first impression.

I also have to agree that there is one level of inconsistency with the font differences. All your navigation is in Arial (or some Sans Serif font), and there are portions of your body content that is also in that sans serif... but there are portions that are in a serif font (Times New Roman).

One other thing that I noticed was the fact that text "Search (eg. Camden) is in black. It's difficult to read this on the blue background. You might consider changing that to white.

Quite a good bit of informaiton there!

Hatton Humphrey
    Connecttexoma.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loaded quite quickly on my dialup so would be just right for backpackers viewing it from net cafes. Good work mate. If I ever plan a trip to London, I'll make sure to check things out here first. Cheers.

------------------
    Nav
    http://navneetk.tripod.com