SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Confirmed Halfwit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone!

OK, I have a new site for some missionary friends based in Estonia.

If you get a chance, could you please visit http://www.empyr.com and let me know what you think?

The site is frame based and sized to fit into a 640x480 window. I couldn't figure out how to get all the nested frames set so that they expand for hi res, but are still correct for low res.

Thanks very much,
    Henri Straforelli

PS. Mr. Moderator, I reviewed some sites many months ago... should I do three more to allow for this one? Thx.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~~~ This site is approved ~~~

I looked at your site in 640 X 480, 800 X 600, 1024 X 768, and 1280 X 1024 and the site scaled accordingly to fit the screen. Very nice job of a liquid design.
    I like the look and feel as well. Your graphics are a perfect blend of rough and readability.
    The only thing I didn't like is when you go to the subpages the frames reload. This is against the purpose of frames and a reason many people hate them. If you only reloaded the content frame it would be much better.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Moderator/Internet Media Developer
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

[This message has been edited by wluke (edited May 27, 2000).]

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the site itself is relatively nice. I like the buttons and the whole navigation system. Just a couple of things though:

Red text is very hard to read on a black background.

Also, the whole point of the frames is to use one frame throughout the whole page. When you you have a link to another page, make sure that the frame (nav) doesn't reload so it will conserve the loading time.

Good Luck
    Boris

------------------
    Echo Web: The Web Developer's Starting Point
    http://echodev.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Henri,
    Butons and navigation is clear, but links in any colour other the blue diminish the ease with which people navigate a site.

You need to adjust the height of your frames as at 1024*768 the frames are taking up about twice the height they need too.

I definetely agree with the comment re red on black - it is very difficult to read

A lot of the pics in the photo gallery do not work

Re the newsletetr - there is no privacy policy that I could find so I ain't going to subscribe!

Otherwise - not too bad!

Cheers

Dr Gonzo

Confirmed Halfwit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I modified the frame layout so that it expands vertically for higher resolutions. That should be better for people with bigger monitors, and should still retain the right perspective for low res.

I added a privacy statement to the newsletter signup.

The links for the pictures are a mishmash of broken and working... I'm still looking for a good thumbnail program that's free.

My graphic skills are pretty weak... can anyone suggest a different color for the red on blue links? White with red rollovers?

Thanks everyone.

Henri

------------------
    www.gimmeabuck.com <-- Have you given me a buck yet!?

[This message has been edited by hstraf (edited May 28, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site looks great overall.

My only criticism is that, 1) the site seems a little dark in color especially for the content and 2) your newsletter archives are saved in Word format which may not be viewable by a lot of visitors.

Keep up the good works

------------------
    IMHO,
    Westmich
    Your opportunity on the web is now!
    westmichiganweb.com

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First... <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>I'm still looking for a good thumbnail program that's free.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you already have PhotoShop 5.5 then:

You can create HTML thumbnail pages (optimized)...File &gt; Automate &gt; Contact Sheet or Web Photo Gallery

* Contact Sheets will show a page(s) of thumbnails, which you can edit, with the filename as caption - then use 'save for web' which will save as your HTML page(s)

* Web Photo Gallery will create thumbnails that you can click to separate pages of the actual image size.

Or you can check out the CNET.com download web site and search for 'thumbnails/free' and you will find many free progams such as...THESE!

Second...

I'm not as critical of the red/black text as some because I like to see creative uses of style/color and formats on web pages...often they catch the eye (positively) more than the classic white/blue.

But after saying that...the white text on the mouseover was sooooo much easier to read and very striking, so maybe you could use white first and use black or a bright, coordinating blue as the mouseover text color. Or maybe you could use white text on paler blue graphics.

I love the font style that you use for the graphics and side bar - Very distinctive!

Using purple/lime green hyperlinks?? A little too much for me as it didn't really match your overall design of the site.

I found your site very

------------------
    My PawPrints by WebKat
    "Let's keep Ethics on the Web"

Confirmed Halfwit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, thanks to Kevin Yank I figured out how to get the frames to work correctly...(one master frameset with an inner nested frameset for content).. but then I realized that if I have only one master frameset, the users will not be able to bookmark the msg_board section.

They would only be able to go to the main site area and then have to click the link. If anyone knows how to get around this...let me know.

Thanks again.

------------------
    www.gimmeabuck.com &lt;-- Have you given me a buck yet!?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,
    Good site overall with clear navigation buttons and interesting design. However
    I think as the page serves for church purpose I reckon the background color should be brighter. I believe as a Christian myself I think this site serves a good purpose for younger generation to understand the message it is trying to portray.
    Last but not least, good work.

Shopzlink

------------------
    A cheap to shop online
    Click here -&gt; www.shopzlink.com