SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not asking you to review my website, since it is still under heavy construction. Instead, please take a look at some drafts I made in Illustrator for the site's logo. Since "QuestGamer" is a new incarnation of an existing site with a different name, it will be important to firmly establish the name and look of the site. I thought maybe you could offer some comments on the logos I made so far.

They are at http://mi4news.adventuregamer.com/test/qg/1/

Just to give you the background info, QuestGamer will be an online magazine covering computer games of the adventure and action/adventure genres (Hence the adventure-like font used in logo two and three.) I think the image of the bird of prey is pretty cool and will create the right associations. The last one is very different because I tried a pretty neat new look for the site today and made a new logo design to go with it.

Anyway, I am babbling. Let me know what you think. I am not a professional designer so please don't be too hard on me

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~~~ This Request is Approved ~~~

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Moderator/Internet Media Developer
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Very nice looking logo, but I think it can be made significantly better...

I would first recommend adding a little depth to the words...this is easily accomplished with some beveling and drop shadows (a must, IMO)...as for the eagle...it looks good where it is, but personally I love things in the background, so I'd make it a very light grey and stick it BEHIND the text...still visible, though...or at least partially behind it...you'd make it bigger, of course so it'd still be visible...

...but hey, that's just my style!

------------------
    Chris Bowyer
    MyCoding.com: Under Construction!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like the ones at bottom with black bg. Like both text colors for "Quest" portion. Will your whole site have a black bg? I'd like to see the logo just sitting on the black bg, not necessarily in a black box on a different color bg, but that's my opinion.(I know some people don't like black bg, but for certain kinds of sites, I think it is very successful.)

The bird - hmmm. Like the idea of making it larger and placing it behind the text. HOWEVER, I'd personally like to see it as a more detailed line drawing rather than a solid colored shape. I think this would give it more drama, especially if the line drawing was in medium or dark gray against a black bg. Not sure exactly what your skills are in the drawing arena or if you could find a line drawing of a similar swooping falcon/eagle that you could use, but it would be worth a try, I think. For your kind of site, I think you need to go for drama and excitement in the logo, and for me personally, it's not quite there yet.

Defeinitely would not go with the square logo with the large Q. Looks too static and like too many other logos I've seen. The others are more original and thus more memorable.

Good luck. I look forward to seeing the finished product!

The bird is

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, I realized that I somehow left and unfinished sentence on my last post. Ignore it.

Secondly, thought of another (easier?) way to add "drama" to the bird. Not sure how it will work, but try adding a few thin line beind the bird (above wings and body) going at same angle as bird to indicate movement. This may take a little experimenting.

Also, looked at the top logo again, and I kind of like that one as well as the ones at bottom. Like the different sized text and placement of text. I'd still like to see a black bg, in which case you'd have to make the "gamer" text white and might need to make the bird lighter gray. In that logo, I don't necessarily feel the need to change the bird, but it might be fun to play with that as well.

These are just ideas. I think that either the top or bottom (on black bg) logos would be alright as they are, but maybe could be a little more dramatic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do not bevel or add shadows!!!! that's so early 90's!!!! DON'T GIVE IN TO THE PRESSURE!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shadows are fantastic! I'm not talking the ones that go way out at an angle, rather ones that are nearly right behind it, but out enough to give depth to the image. Also beveling (if done correctly), and make text look much sharper...

------------------
    Chris Bowyer

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I like your logo, it's nice & clean & you are right, the bird will work well. Have you thought about a drop shadow or something to give it more dimension? Looks good so far. I say that cause it does not appear to me, to be finished.
    -see, now that was not so bad!! -
    Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shawdows and belvels are the difference between amature and pro. Find me any professional site that doesn't use bevels on their image text...It is used so often you dont notice it. You notice when text is NOT beveled.

------------------
    Nate
    nate@jumpthru.com
    ICQ 70944023
    http://www.jumpthru.com - Free web hosting.
    http://www.webmaster-sources.com - Build your site today!
    http://www.funandfreestuff.com - Because life was meant to be free.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, i agree with you guys...i was mainly referring to ones who over do it. hehe.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My warm thanks for all your comments! It will be quite useful

About the drop shadow: Doesn't shadow give a logo a cheezy "look-mom-I-can-use-filters" appearance? I never used beveling... might look into that.

To answer sahar, I made 3 try-outs for the site layout, and my favorite one uses a black vertical row (for the logo, banner ad and some navigation elements), a white content area and another vertical black stripe below that for the copyright statement, privacy policy, etc. EXTREME contrast, I know. But it looks good and black/white contrast is "in" these days anyway I am leaning towards this layout in combination with the 4th logo type, so it would be part of a black background.

I will try placing the eagle behind the text, but I wonder whether it will be visible then. I'll have to find out. Although my drawing skills are not that great, I will see if the eagle can be made more dynamic / exciting. (FYI, I scanned a flat contour pic of a bird of prey from a birds encyclopedia, traced the countours in Illustrator, and rotated and skewed it so that it looked "in-flight")

cd: It looks like I survived the firing squad

I'll go back to the drawing board. I'll post a follow-up when I have made some refinements.

Lord of the Underworld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the top ones, with the bird and the bottom one's with the black background. Play around with colours and find the perfect match. For a non-designer, you've done a mighty job...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shadows a cheezy effect? Not in the least! They're cheezy if you use them WAY OUT away from the words...if they're nearly behind them they just give the words depth.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer