SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Accessibility Design Issue

I have a question regarding Accessibility Design. When you have a standard button like this:
    Code:
    <input type="submit" name="thename" value="Submit This Form">
    A screen reader will read the button off as "Submit This Form" which allows the user to press the button.

Now, lets say I need to include a file browsing text field like this:
    Code:
    <input type="file" name="thefile">
    My question is how to have a screen reader pick up the button for this type of form? The "Browse" button is automatically inserted into the HTML page when you use a type="file" field. A screen reader will simply bypass this button, not allowing a user to "press" it and launch the file browsing window. Is there a way to have a hotkey launch the file browsing window as would happen if you clicked on the "Browse" button that automatically gets inserted in the page?

I tried adding accesskey="B" to the above but that just simply places the curser into the text field, it doesn't actually launch the file browsing window.
    -- Steve Caponetto
    Quake 1 Resurrection :: CreedFeed

morphine for a wooden leg randem's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't you add a title="whatever" attribute to the button for the screen-reader to pick up?
    ----Adopt-a-Sig----
    Your message here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But when you use a type="file" field in a form, there's a text box that is displayed and a "Browse" button which is automatically placed on the page - how would you give that button a title if it is automatically placed? I assume if you put a title="whatever", it will give the text field the title and not the button... ??
    -- Steve Caponetto

morphine for a wooden leg randem's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The title attribute, as I understand it, is supposed to apply to things like popup help text and the like, so it won't make a visual difference in the element, but it seems to me that a screen reader would pick it up.
    ----Adopt-a-Sig----
    Your message here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The screen reader would pick it up, but it would only allow the user to move to that text box ... it wouldn't allow the user to press the button to bring up the file browsing window... ???
    -- Steve Caponetto

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm...will test tomorrow with JAWS screenreader...

Edit:

this might be of interest: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/...rJun/0050.html

it appears that the file upload form element has been a contentious issue for quite a while. user agents (i.e. browsers) don't support it properly (in terms of functionality). so i think at this point there's nothing much that can be done. even if you can get the screen reader to actively "read out" the element, it's anybody's guess if the browser used will behave as it should if the user hits enter (i tried before, and it submitted the form, as if i had hit the submit button).

Last edited by redux; Oct 15, 2002 at 14:48.
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In this case i think it would be best to leave it in its default state. first issue is that most people who use screenreaders are most likely used to using the file field the way it is currently presented. And by changing from the actual field to the button may cause more confusion.

Given that you cant identify the input and the button as being different elements. If the user were to go to the field, they may think there in the input area, press tab to move to browse and they would move to the next input instead of where they assumed they were going (to the browse button)