SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Chris Duncan
    SitePoint Community Guest
    Hi Folks!
    This is rather terrifying to me, seems as though you all are so much more advanced than I am. Still, I can handle it! Tell me what you think. Please? This is a temp URL
    we are using as we work.
    http://members.aol.com//ImAWoodyFan2...dyWelcome.html

Thanks,
    Chris

[This message has been edited by wluke (edited April 14, 2000).]

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~~~ This Site Has Been Approved ~~~

The site needs more organization. The animated gifs are distracting and don't help the page.

You need to come up with a standard layout so that the entire site can be seen as a whole. With navigation and color changes on each page you lose a sense of where you are and why your there.

The java based menu can be done in javascript with simple image rollovers so that it takes a lot less time to load. You need to try and get the load time down as well. The front doorway page doesn't really serve a purpose and will tend to discourage some people because it takes a while to load.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    WR Moderator
    Internet Media Provider

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy,

Not much for black backgrounds, but they seem to work for this site, just stay with them. The change in contrast between some of the pages hurts the eyes.

Personally I dislike page transitions, kinda like teasing your visitor.

Good idea having two types of navigation on the page, just move the navigation to the top area of the page. I dislike having to scroll down to find navigation should I want to leave the page, yes I could use the back button but it is usually not what people think of first.

Maybe you could give a short blurb about Woody on the main page. This could make me want to dig deeper in to the site.

To many animations, seems a bit busy.

I did like the rotating photos of Woody though, and the navigation next to the photos is nice.

I think you have a good start here.

Take care,

MJR

------------------
    World National Fantasy Basketball Association
    www.wnfba.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1st that java on the front may look neat, but take out the intro page. It is not needed and many people will not wait for it to load. Since I am on a T1 I did not have this prob, but many others will. Same with the java menu bar. You could easily make the bar in images/html with rollovers if you like. As a previous post said the black works pretty good. My music site was black backgrounded for some time until I created a new site.

Besides that, good site.

------------------
    Jason VandeBoom
    webmaster@mconet.com
    http://www.mconet.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site looks a total mess in Opera (3.62 & 4.0b3). It works with IE 5 and NN 6.01b.
    Get rid of the animated gifs, they confuse and distract from the content of your site.
    I am also not a big fan of scrolling text...
    If you want to keep the navigation on the bottom of the page, at least include a link back to your homepage somewhere in the top half of each page. You could maybe make the logo clickable.
    Make sure you are using the same color-scheme on all of your pages.
    I like two vertical stripes on some of your pages, why don't you make them your background throughout your whole site?
    jbb

------------------
    Creative Webdesign
    JBBdesign

mouse monkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Afew of my opinios:

1) The java takes far to long to load, both the navigation and the effect on the entrance. You should atleast have a text link on the front page so visitors don't have to wait for it to load. The navigation bar could be easily done with mouseovers.

2) The site is too busy, there are far to many animated gifs that give an unproffesional image.

3) Page transitions get very annoying.

I agree with WNFBA about the images of woody.

Fletch

------------------
    Chicago Bulls Online
    DotHot - No URL Its Not Launch

[This message has been edited by adamfletch (edited April 15, 2000).]

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. The intro page (on my system it took to long to load), if you are going to use it I would suggest that you put a timer to advance instead of having the person click enter. Just a personnal thing with me.

2. I had a hard time navigating. First I had to find the nav links. Maybe moving them to a better location or adding another type navigation to supplement them.

3. Transistion are ok to me I like them, but some people may not. Even so I would suggest make them a little faster if you can.

Just suggestions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site has too many Animated images, and it is distracting and hard to follow but the image flips are cool, even though I'm not a fan, it still looks good. The css, link is hard to follow because it italicizes the link and it is hard to differentiate from link to just text.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if you want to have an animated intro, its gotta knock your socks off, otherwise, you are just potentially wasting the time of the visitor.

There was thread in another area of these forums... that asked what everybody's most hated web page attributes were (paraphrasing here) and I said, as did others, the "Click to Enter". If I have to click to Enter, why didnt you just take me there to begin with and save me the click (if you know what I mean).

I think the navigation could be improved upon on the secondary pages. It seams I had to depend on the "back" button on my browser to get around.

I have a headache as I type this, I am just getting over a bad cold... my headache WAS almost gone, until I saw the blue background on those secondary pages. My headache is now much worse thanks to that color (I am not kidding).

Also, there is too much movement (animation) I would cut some of that out. I do think a music site can take liberties that other sites can't (color schemes, animation use, etc.) but this one is just a wee bit over the top in that regard and maybe should be toned down just a bit.

All that said... I like the site. Just too loud and animated at times, and a little difficult to get around.

[This message has been edited by Ted (edited April 24, 2000).]

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to recommend one thing:

No matter how great your site design is, or how great the content, one thing distracts me from it and leads me to leave a site unless I'm searching for something specific and have no other option. Free web space, or addresses that look like you're using it. Maybe you like using AOL, but you might want to invest in a domain or a subdomain of a hosting site.

Their service isn't the best, but I used to have a site with VirtualAve.net which gives you your own domain or yourname.virtualave.net for free.

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, talk about a busy site. Way too much is going on. I agree that music sites can take advantage of certain flashy stuff, but you probably wnet overboard for my taste.

I did like the use of the word 'Bass' throughtout the site.

Mike

------------------
    Street Bikers United protecting the rights of motorcyclists worldwide.
    Cosmic Custom Airbrush - Hawaii's premier airbrush studio.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Specs:
    DSL
    Win95
    IE5+

First impressions thoughts!
    -Dam opening took a long time and I didn't like it!
    -you had like 3 pages to get to the main, the opening, the enter then the main! so like 2!
    -good colors
    -like the nav bar
    -Like the picture to the right on a random dissolve in and out!
    -Everything is speard out!

Ok first GET RIDE OF THAT OPENING! most ppl would agree! it is annoying and I amost left the site because I didn't want to wait for that opening thing!

If your going to have your index.html as a "ENTER" page then make it flashy!

Colors schem is good, I alos like how you did the Nav bar! and the jav with that!

Your visitor usally wants to see that whole page within the first 800x600 of your site! so move all the stuff at the bottem closer to the top!

The site in general is good just you need to fix the few things and take everybodys suggestions into thought!!

------------------
    ~Alex~

-http://the-outpost.hypermart.net-

Chris Duncan
    SitePoint Community Guest
    Hello!
    OMG forgiveness? I thought I would get an email reply upon reviews of the site. Didn't realize I had to come back to this page. (Told you I was new!
    Thanks to all of you who participated in reviewing the temp site I posted in April.
    Can't remember who I gave the headache to with all the various colors on the pages but I do agree w/you on that. Woody picked the colors. HA! He likes 'em... no options to change there. Same goes for intro page. Woody really likes it? Any ideas how to speed it up? I know it takes forever to load.
    Now, about the comments wrt image rollover for navigation on main page. What to do? ha! Woody likes it too?
    I appreciate all of the honest opinions,
    and will look into losing some of the animation we can do without. (btw, I'll send Woody your comments. Helps me greatly.)
    Bye for now...thanks again!

Chris http://www.woodylingle.com