Thread: html emails

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking html emails

Hi All

Need some help in HTML emails if possible.

I've designed a graphical email by putting it together in dreamweaver then adding the files to the stationery section of the email client(outlook express). i'm testing it at the moment without much success, all the graphics don't display althrough their all linked from a remote server and the text loses all it's formatting so it just looks awful.

Do i need to code it differently from a web page and how do i make sure it will work in different email clients!

If anyone wants to see the coding please ask and i'll post it up here but any help would be great as starting to get frustrated.

cheers

jon

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found that the easiest way to make a HTML email was to actually create it in Outlook. To be completely honest, it's a dark art as far as I'm concerned. I've only done it once, but it was absolutely fine when I set my email type to HTML and created the whole thing in Outlook (copying and pasting graphics I wanted, text formating, etc.)

G

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are the steps I use to create html emails:
    1. Design the page in Dreamweaver, just like you would any other page. Use the local references to the images to that you can be sure everything looks just the way you want it to.
    2.After the design is complete,copy of all the images in use to your remote server. Then do a find/replace for image tags (find:"img="localimagedirectory/", replace:"http://remoteserver.com/imagedirectory.../")
    3.Save this file in your local machine. Open your email client and import the html email as a template(in outlook, it is under tools/options/mailformat and click on stationary picker)

I have found that alot of times the html email doesn't look quite right when you are composing the message, but it will look right when you send it.
    When you complete the process, I suggest you send yourself the first email to make sure everything is working. just in case.
    http://www.geoflux.com
    embrace the pace of a new world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The method I choose is this:

1. Create the HTML file
    2. FTP the page and images to a web server
    3. Change all relative URLs to Absolute URLs (http://remoteserver.com/images)
    4. Open the page in your browser
    5. Select All or Edit-->Select All(In IE)
    6. Open a new page in Outlook and paste

Set the background to match.

Not the best solution but fast and works for most e-mail clients.

Good Luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    personally i compose the HTML version in UD with a reference to all the images that i have previously placed onto a server - check it repeatedly in all browsers possible

then i send the non-html version with the html version as an attachment (that gives the best coverage - and is a good method if your mailing capture script does not allow users to signup for a html or non-html version

wicksie