SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

JavaScript Guru (Big Ego) Arielladog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just completed my first "real" website. It is for SCAHPERD. It is just kind of plain and simple, which they wanted. Please critique this site. Thank you all.
    www.scahperd.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~~~ This site has been approved ~~~

------------------
    Eric Jones - SitePoint Administrator
    http://www.sitepoint.com
    eric@sitepoint.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice for the first time around. I like the color combinations and I only have two negative comments. Ariel is very much my favorite font, but if you use any size larger than using the text with the <small> tag, the text is very jagged and does not look good.

Also, counters are great for use on organization's web sites, but don't say "You are visitor number..." Just put the counter there - 99.9% of your visitors will know what it means.

Hope this helps!

------------------
    Isaiah Walter - Founder and Owner
    Federation Fire - Internet Solutions
    Isaiahacs@aol.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations with your first "real" website!
    I was quite happy with the beginning, the flash show, but then I was quite disappointed with your main look.
    To begin with, please change the big text navigation bar on the left. It completely ruins your professional look, either put a different & smaller font, or use graphics.
    I would make the beginning logo smaller and put it in the top left corner as a link to the front page, on all pages.
    When you goto the "about" or "scapes" pages there is no way back unless you click "back" on your browser.
    Finally I would remove the "You are visitor...", I personally hate counters, they are lame, and easy to manipulate. Use server statistics, or transparent counter from http://thecounter.com.
    But in general your website looks very good!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I very much like your flash into, the jogger especially. However I do agree with the comment above about the writing in the navigation bar, it need to be smaller. Pretty much sound as a pound though coz there's not that much to critisise on the site is there

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! Your site looks really great, however there is always something to do better:
    My suggestions are:
    *) when using italic fonts, use bigger font-sizes, otherwise it`s really difficult to read.
    *) the counter style doesn't fit in your site at all - use another style, remove the text "you are visitor number..." and center it.
    *)http://www.scahperd.org/scpeapform.html
    add more space before the "who" "where" "when" for example with the   and make this bold

That's all for now, bye

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi there,

Nice site!

A few things I would change:

The font site of the links in the naviation section. I would make them a bit smaller.

The font tyoe you use in your body texts are sometimes hard to read (especially the Italic fonts) I would ise Verdana or Tahoma.

Cheers,

------------------
    John Muijen

http//www.muijen.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very well done site!
    Site load time was good here.
    You could try adding a bit more of a description in the <title> tag.
    It is not necessary to put you are visitor XX to this site. People know what that number is at the bottom of the page or eliminate the counter all together.

Scott

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the flash intro. I wouldn't use the counter, and I would also make the rounded edges a little smaller. good job though, I like it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the layout, it's simple and easy to navigate.

But

1. I think the flash is a little bit redudant
    2. The italic text at the middle seems a little bit difficult to read
    3. Counter makes your site not professional enough.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Good speed and I really liked the jogger...now here are my perceived problem areas:

1) Not being from the US the state outline baffled me somewhat - I knew it was a state outline...but which or where !!??

2) Something that really threw me were the acronyms! it was like holy cow! what do all these stand for! a glossary link would be useful for idiots like myself.

3) The SCAHPERD Alliance Officers details flow out of the box so I can't read them all (I'm on 1024*768)

4)I couldn't figure out how to get to home - there was no clear home link - I had to alter the navigation bar in my browser to get back to home - one should NEVER have to do that! I'd create a small version of the logo on the front page and put it at the top of the navigation bar on every page and have it serve as a hime link.

5) Do you really want to have an advert for microsoft at the top of your flash intro? Design your site so it can be viewed well in any browser and you don't need to put these kind of lines in that effectivly say you can't (or don't want to) write cross-browser code.

6) As others have already said, the counter should go.

7) On the SCSA page you get a big chunk of text (big relative to the rest of the site) I'd break it up into a few paragraphs.

8) Same goes for SCDA (see 7)

Overall, I found the Flash intro very nice but felt let down by the remainder of the site, it seems to be covering a lot of bases at a very paper thin level and obviously by the use of acronyms throughout is aimed at people who know the difference between a SCAPE and a SCARE!! :-) With the exception of the lack of a home button, navigation was clear and logical as long as I pretended to know what all the acronyms meant.

Cheers

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice and clean with decent navigation. Might consider adding a background image outside of the content area to jazz it upa bit but otherwise very nice site!

psycho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice, simple design. Which is what you want for a site with the type of content you have. very nice. some more colour wouldn;t go amiss though.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice "phamplet-like" site. Very neatly organized. Your site has been tested with Netscape 4.73 and IE 5.5 Looks good in IE but the text looks a bit messed up in Netscape. Your text block in the "SCPEAP" section aligns to the right a little to much. You might want to fix that. Anyways, overall... simple but a neat-looking site.

--
    Mavix http://mercury.spaceports.com/~mavix