• yes

19 82.61%
  • no

4 17.39%
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb CSS FAQ / look here first type thing...

Would anybody be interested in a css faq in a similar vein to the 'useful function' threads in the programming forums??

I've put a list together of some of the most frequently asked questions (link styles, scrollbars, page margin removal etc.) but I'm not sure about the best way to post it up (one big locked thread or a free-for-all to post new material)

could someone let me know, and I'll put what I've got up for review.

cheers

alastair

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    shesh you party pooper, ive been working on one for about the last week.

it was supposed to be a surprise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a good idea, there are tons of the same questions asked all the time

Hover effects, how to have multiple a:link styles, how to make an external stylesheer would be a good one too.

i will do my part and sticky it if you like I'll be expecting credit for that however

Ohio - U.S.A. Outlook: Cautiously Optimistic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a great idea, I've noticed a lot of repetition in the questions asked too. The two of you could team up and write the thing together

Palmer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given that the questions are being asked again and again we can assume people are not searching for previous answers.

If people don't know to look for the CSS FAQ (in the same way that people don't look for previous answers or read the AUP properly) they will still post the question as a first resort.
    The only difference is that, rather than post the solution in a response, reponders will post saying 'check the CSS FAQ'.

I'm not sure about the effectiveness of such things, but I suppose those that browse by section may stumble on it.

Either way, it surely can't do any harm - so I voted yes.
    New Plastic Arts: Visual Communication | DesignateOnline

Mate went to NY and all he got me was this lousy signature

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I'd agree altering page margins and adding classes to change hyperlink colour is a common request; so on that note I'd say you've got nothing to lose by trying to complie a CSS FAQ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on, who voted no!

I'll put what I've got up on a webpage tomorrow for review. Any further thoughts on a format for this??

cheers

alastair

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I voted no, as there are already many resources to use! i.e. the search on this site, the w3c site, and a nice quick google search. Not to be mean, but the w3 sets the standards and that would probably be the best place to learn CSS. It's where I learned it and I still reference it from time to time as it has some of the most complete list available.

Another good place to look is w3schools.com. They have tutorials for everything from ASP, SQL, CSS, XHTML, and a ton of other things I don't have time to explain.

--Vinnie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by vgarcia
    the w3 sets the standards and that would probably be the best place to learn CSS.
    I kinda have to disagre, if you know CSS and you know how the W3c write then there site is good. If your new to css then there site is pretty hard to understand as its a technical document not a "how do i do this?" document.

nie job 19, give me a day or two and ill throw my stuff in and ill let you post it up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vgarcia, I think you're missing the point of an FAQ.

It is not to teach people the full knowledge of CSS (or whatever else it focusses on), but to prevent members from having to answer the same questions again and again and again.
    It is primarily a measure to keep the forums cleaner, clearer and hopefully less littered with frustratingly cyclical questions.
    If it prevents the posting only a few repeated questions then, in my opinion, it's worth it.

There's no reason the info in a CSS should be any less accurate than that given by W3C or W3Schools.
    In fact, it could actually be moreso as it may include caveats and exceptions that may not be covered in the W3C declarations or W3Schools.
    For example, the W3C site may not mention that Opera handles margin differently to the W3C standard. W3Schools makes no mention of the Opera inconsistancy.
    This FAQ would be able to inform newcomers of the inconsistancies and tell them how to work around them to produce consistant websites.
    In that regard it can still prove to be a useful resources for newcomers to CSS.
    Last edited by Bill Posters; Oct 16, 2002 at 23:50.

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The W3C Technical Recommendations are just Recommendations since they are not governed by a government-approved agency they are not actually "official" Specifications.

Telling someone to read the CSS Technical Recommendations or visit site X is alright, but it has its limitations. You have to consider why "net-citizen X" comes here for CSS help in the first place it is probably because there is the real life human element...

I don't know how well the FAQ will serve but I'd agree that the questions asked on the list are very common.

Web-coding NINJA! silver trophy beetle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to see the property order required for shorthand rules like font and border make it into a/the FAQ
    beetle a.k.a. Peter Bailey
    blogs: php | prophp | security | design | zen | software
    refs: dhtml | gecko | prototype | phpdocs | unicode | charsets
    tools: ide | ftp | regex | ffdev

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

thanx for this.. i should have looked last night when i was bangin my head against the wall

thanx again!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by xhtmlcoder
    The W3C Technical Recommendations are just Recommendations since they are not governed by a government-approved agency they are not actually "official" Specifications.
    Just for the record, government agency approval or governance has no essential bearing on whether a body is official or not.
    'Officialdom' can be bestowed upon those who have been being formally recognised as authorities in their field by public and/or peers.

'Official', in many cases, is whatever we as users, patrons and 'insiders' allow it to be.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Okay Bill, I agree with you! A FAQ would be a good place for people to get quick answers without posting redundant questions. However, most of the CSS questions in said FAQ would probably revolve around browser issues, as that's usually the type of question I see. Things like "How come my < div > border doesn't show up correctly in [insert browser here]?" and such. Most of the time though, to learn a new concept in CSS one only needs to perform a quick search on google or w3schools.com to find their answer. Perhaps in addition to the FAQ, a "Tips and Resources" area similar to the one in the ASP thread on SPF is in order, where newcomers can quickly find a list of resources to learn the basics, then when they have some quirky issue they can't resolve they can look in the FAQ or post in the forums. I'm all for making the forums cleaner don't get me wrong, but I also think questions like "What are the possible units I can use to specify font size?" are best left to resources and not FAQs.

Sorry this is so long-winded, but I just thought I should clear up my point.

--Vinnie

Originally posted by Bill Posters
    vgarcia, I think you're missing the point of an FAQ.

It is not to teach people the full knowledge of CSS (or whatever else it focusses on), but to prevent members from having to answer the same questions again and again and again.
    It is primarily a measure to keep the forums cleaner, clearer and hopefully less littered with frustratingly cyclical questions.
    If it prevents the posting only a few repeated questions then, in my opinion, it's worth it.

There's no reason the info in a CSS should be any less accurate than that given by W3C or W3Schools.
    In fact, it could actually be moreso as it may include caveats and exceptions that may not be covered in the W3C declarations or W3Schools.
    For example, the W3C site may not mention that Opera handles margin differently to the W3C standard. W3Schools makes no mention of the Opera inconsistancy.
    This FAQ would be able to inform newcomers of the inconsistancies and tell them how to work around them to produce consistant websites.
    In that regard it can still prove to be a useful resources for newcomers to CSS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by vgarcia
    "Tips and Resources" area similar to the one in the ASP thread on SPF is in order,
    allready working on this. It will be part of the FAQ