SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey I just started a new internet consulting site it is at http://www.heavenlydesign.com

[This message has been edited by jonese (edited May 20, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by WebDevMike (edited June 02, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~~~ This site has been approved ~~~

------------------
    Eric Jones - SitePoint Administrator
    http://www.sitepoint.com
    eric@sitepoint.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I kind of like the site. I'm on a 28k, and the whole flash loaded very quickly.

Also, the design is pretty simple, yet effective in my opinion; nothing too complex about it. But, I would seriously consider adding a portfolio, and a FAQ to answer questions. And why music ? MUSIC ???

But, what about people without Flash ? Don't leave them for dead!

All, in all, I think its very readable and easy to navigate... but I would want a little more content; like the portfolio.

Regards,
    Arpith

------------------
    <A HREF="http://www.arpith.com/
    " TARGET=_blank>http://www.arpith.com/
    </A>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I wouldn't design my whole site with flash. That excludes so many people. But then again, who knows, maybe that might be a good idea to attract. Not enough information though, I wasn't going to fill out that form until I knew a little bit more about you and what you have done.

------------------
    Web Design by Sesran
    www.sesran.com

Confirmed Halfwit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK...

First, get rid of the music. Instead of having it default to on with the button to turn it off...switch it around. Default off, option to turn on. Since you have no control over the sound level on my machine, you have no way to know how loud or soft it will be initially. In my case, the last .wav I listend to was pretty quick so the knob was cranked.

My first reaction was to leave the site. Immediately. I only came back to do the review. If I were a customer, I would not have returned. The rollover noises are just plain annoying after the first time. Remove them, quickly. Effects such as these are the surefire mark of an amateur designer.

Second, the flash intro is a bit unnecessary. Who is your target market? Small business? Big business? Are they all flash users? I'd remove the intro flash part and just go straight to the main section. Have another link on there pointing to a flash demo. Keep the intro part as a demo only.

The rest of the flash is actually pretty good. Get's the point across, although if your target market is small business, it's likely they'll have an older browser, etc. so flash might not work right. Have you tested against IE 3 and 4 and Netscape 3 and 4?

The text boxes on the apply.htm page are out of whack. You need to adjust the left column to give more space so the text isn't all squished. Make the text boxes 40 - 50 columns maximum, so the page doesn't produce a horizontal scroll bar.

Good luck!

------------------
    www.gimmeabuck.com &lt;-- Have you given me a buck yet!?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man THAT MUSIC HAS TO GO! - I had read the other reviews before I visited and luckily I had turned the volume down - but not off unfortunately so I was immediately teleported to an elevator in a governement builing somewhere - I hope that was not the effect you were striving for.

I'm not a great Flash site fan, but once you are into the the site it works OK - though to me the four links off from the homepage were not obvious as being links

Also the form is way to wide on my screen - I'm viewing at 768*1024 on ns4.71

Do you have an option for users who do not have Flash installed?

Cheers

Dr Gonzo

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you should do the halo and "Heavenly Design" text in Illustrator or Freehand. The compression artifacts are distracting.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I don't think that you need to use Flash for the design that you are using for the site. Something very similar could be done with tables, apart from the intro bit and the page transition.

I don't want to sound like I am putting you down, but until you can improve your flash maybe you should stick to html, dhtml and javascript.

At the moment I am probably where you are in flash development, at the beginning. I will not be making a public flash site for another couple of months until I am more professional and learn exactly what I can do with it.

Anyway, good luck with your site, whatever way you decide to go about it.

------------------
    West Red
    http://trickynet.co.uk