SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Shiver me timbers!! anthony_irl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Web Services....cutting edge project?

Hi guys,

I'm preparing to hand in a document outlining my final year project and most of the ideas I've put forward so far have been either rejected or I've been discouraged from doing them. The problem is that they expect a lot of me as I'm one of the top guys in the class (their words not mine), so I need to produce a cutting edge project. I mentioned web services as an area I could do something in and they seemed to react favourably.

What I need to know is how could I use Web Services to maybe create an application which used multiple languages to interact between desktop apps and servers. I need ideas on how I could do this while making a useful app. The whole area is so new that I'm afraid I could get myself in over my head so I would appreciate pointers and suggestions. I know Java, some PHP, mySQL and JavaScript. I'm prepared to learn C++ if it'll help. Thanks a lot.
    Anthony - How's tings?

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
    Contact me by: PM Email NEW! Carrier Pigeon

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man I've got a ton of ideas for web services! Haven't got much time right now but if I dont get back here, remind me.

Here's a big one which could be incredibly simple to write.

In a sentence put a web services "wrapper" on the entire Java library. You could theoretically rock the Net with that one.

It's been done using PHP and XML-RPC: http://www.webkreator.com/php/xcs/ (if you look at the code it's incredibly simple but awesome powerful)

So prototype in XML-RPC then use SOAP (plus update Javadoc to create WSDL documents)...

Main issue is preserving state (some kind of session handling).

Then any language with a SOAP client has access to the entire Java library. All the PHP developers out there looking for a decent library would love you (me included)!

As far as I know, no one (ie big companies) right now is thinking about how web services can be used to server as code libraries.

Then finish off by doing the same with .NET

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oooh someone is cheating.... and I can tell on you!

What exactly do ya mean by web service(Not sure what one is ) ? Try and make a something that interact's with the phone lines.

E.g a request is sent to the db or whatever and is then sent through automated phone call, I was looking into something like that Microsoft have a thing called TAPI which seems to be pretty good.
    Back Again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you plan on making a web service you would probably be better off using PHP with XML-RPC or SOAP.

You could also create a web service with .net using SOAP *ducks from Harry*

if you want to use PHP i know that Professional PHP4 XML by Wrox is excellent, I own it. However it is limited coverage. I do not know if there is a book on Web Services and PHP exclusivly.

if you would like to look into .net, there are dozons of books on building web services in the .net enviroment.

you can also make a web service with java. there are mature libraries at www.apache.org for xml related programming using java. I never personally looked at them but they look promising, the only downside with java is somewhat slow if you do not have a 700mhz+ machine with a fair amount of memory.

if i were you i would create a web service using PHP and XML-RPC only because you have expirience with PHP
    Last edited by archigamer; Oct 14, 2002 at 15:42.
    Web Finesse Studios
    Professional, business oriented web hosting and development.

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just posting this link here; http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/j...nyclass_p.html

Explains how to use Java reflection to publish a class over a network using EJBeans. May only need this updating for SOAP or XML-RPC...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remeber a mate of mine had a similar problem a while ago.

In the end he wrote a system to help uni / college applicants choose their courses.

The system had a database of courses (based on their ref numbers), had a list of all the UNI's running the courses, had comments from previous students on the courses and UNI's.

It had application forms from various for students wishing to apply, and allowed online applications and also put people in touch with a carers advisor via email (or prvoided telephone numbers) if they wanted further help.

Its not exactly an exciting idea but you could develop it using fairly simple code and use XML as a go between for PHP and MySQL and use this to provide content for other platforms to bring in the other programming languages bit.

If you really wanted to all the way you could develop an application that could be installed onto campus computers or wherever that would allow you to look up courses etc, apply from with in the program (I remeber seeing a utility that built PHP programs into a .exe somewhere around).

The Telephony Applications Programming Interface (TAPI) thing would be interesting to see used online (I have only ever seen it used on an intranet, and that was a little bit of a disaster), but I imagine would be complex to develop and would no-dount involve some hardware down the line to take Data off the net and put it onto the phone network - i.e. would end up costing loads as these things tend to!

Rick
    Rick