User Tag List

Thread: Review...needed

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second attempt...

Hi, Pls evaluate this old website I did about 4-5 years ago when Dreamweaver first came out. It's nothing more than a personal website with a small portofolio. I have been out of touch with the design industry for a while now (being a busy dental student). So, to get back in the swing of thing, I would like to see what others think of the old website, before I start a new one.
    http://www-scf.usc.edu/~ddv/new/index.html
    thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~~~ this site has been approved ~~~

------------------
    Eric Jones - SitePoint Administrator
    http://www.sitepoint.com
    eric@sitepoint.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe web site likes, are liken to beauty or art, it's in the eyes of the beholder.

You have great graphics, but I think you main page doesn't really tell much about what the site is about or why I would want to go there.

mouse monkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

That is an excellent site especially as you designed it a long while ago. Before I clicked on the link I was worried to what I was going to expect but I was very pleasently suprised. It hasn't really aged a bit.

The only thing I would improve is the loading time it took absalutly ages as it is very image intensive.

------------------
    Fletch
    http://www.web-headz.co.uk http://www.web-headz.com Both Coming Soon!
    adam.fletch@web-headz.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are obviously light-years ahead of me in both coding and graphics, but I'll offer a few comments anyway that I hope you find useful. FYI - I am using IE4 and viewed in both 640-480 and 1024x768 resolutions.

First, really like the graphics and overall feel. The blue, black and white still looks very slick and modern. Aesthetically, it works wonderfully for me. Textually, there are a few issues, especially when small lettering in dark blue is used. (I.E. - emotions page; however, I only viewed this at the higher resolution, so may not be a problem at lower res.). It wasn't impossible to discern, but a little distracting.

Biggest issue I had was ease of navigation. There wasn't a consistent way to navigate. I realize one can always use the back bar, but I would have liked a link, say on the projects page, to take me directly back to the porfolio page or the home page.

Minor issues - CyberCampus link on projects page seems to be outdated. Would have liked a summary for the 3rd image on the single pages page, like there was for Orbit and Personal Circle. Archives page had a completley different, and for me less impressive, feel than the rest of the site. I realize this page was probably not your top priority, but as long as your reworking the site . . . .

Really liked the mouseover effects and surprisingly they didn't overpower, distract me or appear unprofessional (as these effects often do when used frequently). I also did not have any issues with download time, but then we are running DSL. I say, unless you find a compelling reason not to, keep them or use similar ones in your redesign.

May want to offer some kind of brief description on the homepage so visitors know what kind of site it is. Purpose is not obvious from the start and this may lead people to leave before looking around if they have aspecific agenda (say looking for web design services).

Overall, I am very impressed and look forward to seeing the redesign. Really, I think you could make a few minor changes and it would be completely useable and still impressive. But, because I've seen what you can do, I'm curious to see what else you'll do! Good luck!