SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a website called the Best of Iceland which is an index of icelandic websites, especially tourist websites.
    The look is getting quite old and I really need to update it but Im not sure how I can do it without increasing downloading time.
    Please have a look at it and give me some suggestions, but keep in mind that I am no graphic expert!

Thank you,
    Vigfus Thor
    The Best of Iceland http://bestoficeland.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~~~ This site has been approved ~~~

------------------
    Eric Jones - SitePoint Administrator
    http://www.sitepoint.com
    eric@sitepoint.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    Let me start by saying that I am new to this field so please take that into consideration with my comments. I really liked you graphics on the home page, but with you home page I was alittle overwhelmed with all the little text and had to look really close to pick out things and I have a 17" monitor. I wonder if you could possibly make a few more pages and have bigger headings and move away from the little text i.e. have a page for hotels only,list them all on that page not on the homepage and on the homepage have a "Hotel" link to you Hotel page. do this with the rest of your subjects. hope this helps

------------------

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your site is pretty well laid out. Since each of the catagories are links, do you really need the pull-down menu, too? All of those links on your frontpage is quite overwhelming (it would be even more so with text decoration, so eliminating that was a good choice), and since the same info is on another page and with more detail, is it necessary to have all the companies listed on the frontpage. It did take a while to load but, I don't think it was excessive. And paring down all those links on the frontpage would speed it up some. The type is kind of small, too--especially on the internal pages. Maybe greater contrast would help the small type stand out better (the black on light blue seems alright, but the white on light blue gets kind of muddled). All the flashing ads are distracting, but that is probably unavoidable. And just a couple of errors? to point out: "Traveling:" is blue and all the other catagory heads are white, the "Welcome to the Best of Iceland" above the pulldown menu is nearly the same color as your background and hard to notice. Hope this helps
    -Bill

------------------
    Lake Superior Smokin' Brews
    www.smokinbrews.com

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks nice and well-organized, but I could hardly read the text on the "Welcome to the Best of Iceland"-select a category near the left side of the screen. I would make that text white like the rest of your layout.

Also I dont believe that your nordic webring is working correctly. I couldn't get it to go anywhere..

I like your heading graphic with the animated flag!

Loaded very fast too. I'm using 56k on win98 with IE 5 if that helps.

Sparkie www.pawsitronic.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very fast to load, but oh my god - complete text overload!

The select statement runs in alphabetical order but the table is in a different order - settle on one or the other and stick with it.

I'd suggest running it more in a yahoo mode than having everything on one page - yahoo people are used to and they will identify with the site quickly and follow how it works. (yahoo design is also fast)

Welcome to the best of iceland (above the select statement) is difficult to read.

That advert seems to be massive even though it is standard size - maybe put it somewhere else - having it inside the table tends to orientate it too closesy to the site in my opinion.

The text is very small too.

Cheers

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for all your great comments, you have all been very helpful.
    The only comment which I am surprised to get is that the text is too small? You probably have a much higher screen resolution than I do.

Anyway I will go through each comment and implement the suggested changes.

Thank you,
    Vigfus Thor

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Vigfus,

Your page is great! I'm focused on layout and these are my suggestions on how to improve your site and make it more attractive to the eye:

All the links look a little cramped. Try to loosen them up a little, for example by inserting a " " (space) before and after the dots in front of the words. But the best thing would probably be to eliminate the dots alltogehther.
    I also suggest you make the Headings more prominent, like enlarging them one size bigger than the posts and/or making them bold. White on blue, as suggested, may not be the optimum.
    I do like that you put the post about the reykjavik music festival up below the heading. Maybe you should do that with say the five newest posts and having them stream? That would really catch the eye and maybe you could earn a few advertising kronur(?) on that as well.

Just finish of by saying that i think your doing a great job Vigfus, answering peoples questions and all!

Good luck,
    Hannes Sjoblad

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. that's more information I needed to know about Iceland. I guess there is little else one can do about displacing all those information. I guess a drop-down menu can reuced the amount of headings displaced. I fyou can, try coordinating all the colors of sub pages.