SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would appreciate a review of a site please which is located at http://www.camohunter.com. This site is an informational site with regards to whitetail deer and waterfowl hunting.
    I'm looking for general feedback on the site...layout, time to load page, ease of navigation etc... We are getting ready to move our site from hypermart.net (free hosting) to another service shortly so that we are not required to have a banner at the top our pages.
    Please keep in mind this is a HUNTING web site and those offended by the subject matter may not want to view the site.
    We have a long way to go with the site but would like opinions good or bad on the site.
    All comments or suggestions are welcome.

Thank you for your time.

Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~~~ This site has been approved ~~~

------------------
    Eric Jones - SitePoint Administrator
    http://www.sitepoint.com
    eric@sitepoint.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ScottC
    Your site is pretty easy to read and straight forward. Navigation is pretty easy since all your links are on the frontpage, but that also makes the page look kind of cluttered and a bit overwhelming. The page didn't fit in my browser without a horizontal scroll bar and the only thing that was hidden was the right border, but I noticed you don't have that border on the other pages, so is it really necessary on the frontpage? The second set of links look odd--one description is black type, the others are thin, red, and underlined, but not links?? On the subject of links: I didn't hit every page, but the first page I went to was the Product listing page. At first I thought the paragraph headings were links, different appearence, underlined, but then saw they weren't. The links are kind of hard to notice, just stuck at the end of the paragraph. Also that page seems to be more of a manufacturers page, not a product listing. And there are a lot of offsite links (typically if I leave a site, unless I'm really planning on checking something out I'm not going to go back). The hunter's calander is neat, but rather than having a big list of the states and contact info and some important dates info, how about a pulldown state menu that then links to that states data or even a US image map? I noticed you listed best viewed at 800X600. Well, I'm not going to resize my monitor to view a webpage (I did just to see what the improvement was and it wasn't at all) It's better to design the page so it fits most browser windows. Load time was pretty good except the duck pictures took a little while, but not as long as I expected. I think it would flow better if you had fewer links that linked to broader categories and then the more specific links in those categories, maybe also putting in some crossreferencing links as well. Hope this helps.
    Bill

------------------
    Lake Superior Smokin' Brews
    www.smokinbrews.com

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey! I like the layout. not bad at all. The sidebar is nice too. The site scrolls on my 800X600 resolution though. About 4". Nice job though, keep up the good work!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Evening Matt
    Thanks for the feedback on the site. I have taught myself html and I have ALOT more to learn yet but I did want some feedback before I start moving everything to a paid hosting service. I realize there is some scrolling but I don't know how to go about fixing this yet.

Scott

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by Matt_Kaufman:
    Hey! I like the layout. not bad at all. The sidebar is nice too. The site scrolls on my 800X600 resolution though. About 4". Nice job though, keep up the good work!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bill
    Thank you for the feedback on the site that I posted for a review. I realize there are alot of links on the opening page (I haven't figured out how to shorten this page yet and where to place alot of those links). I am somewhat puzzled though about you not being able to see the camo border on the other pages of the site because it is there. ( I see it here on my screen). All the links should be the same with regards to the second set of links &lt;LINK #660000&gt; with a font size of 2 face arial so I'm not sure what is happening there. I will have to look at this cause I don't see it the way you do. I'm going to do away with the underlines on the products page because I've been told the same thing before about thinking they were clickable links. I also changed the link to that page from "New Products" to "Product Reviews". I hadn't realized that it wasn't clear. Thanks for the tip about the external links. I haven't quite figured out yet the html fragment to make them open in another window. I really like your idea with the hunters calendar. Thanks!! I have my monitor set to 800x600 and it looks the way I want it to here. What do you mean by adding crossrefering links? (sorry some of this stuff is foreign to me).
    Once again thanks for your comments/suggestions. This is exactly the type of feedback I am after.

Scott
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by Sahti:
    ScottC
    Your site is pretty easy to read and straight forward. Navigation is pretty easy since all your links are on the frontpage, but that also makes the page look kind of cluttered and a bit overwhelming. The page didn't fit in my browser without a horizontal scroll bar and the only thing that was hidden was the right border, but I noticed you don't have that border on the other pages, so is it really necessary on the frontpage? The second set of links look odd--one description is black type, the others are thin, red, and underlined, but not links?? On the subject of links: I didn't hit every page, but the first page I went to was the Product listing page. At first I thought the paragraph headings were links, different appearence, underlined, but then saw they weren't. The links are kind of hard to notice, just stuck at the end of the paragraph. Also that page seems to be more of a manufacturers page, not a product listing. And there are a lot of offsite links (typically if I leave a site, unless I'm really planning on checking something out I'm not going to go back). The hunter's calander is neat, but rather than having a big list of the states and contact info and some important dates info, how about a pulldown state menu that then links to that states data or even a US image map? I noticed you listed best viewed at 800X600. Well, I'm not going to resize my monitor to view a webpage (I did just to see what the improvement was and it wasn't at all) It's better to design the page so it fits most browser windows. Load time was pretty good except the duck pictures took a little while, but not as long as I expected. I think it would flow better if you had fewer links that linked to broader categories and then the more specific links in those categories, maybe also putting in some crossreferencing links as well. Hope this helps.
    Bill

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Following comments were given:

1. Consider putting company intro. at an intro page, and use a link connect to the intro page. It can make Links at the center "be seen" when visitors come.

2. I found there are html code errors at the end of your home page.
    ?&lt;br&gt; appears
    and email address is not clickable

------------------
    Register your site in our internet business solution directory and submit articles help people to operate successful e-business

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scott-
    What I mean about crossrefering links is it seems that your website is more or less set up with the main page and then a whole bunch of pages linked to that one, but not amongst themselves. That certainly is a fine way to do things if it works, but in this case I think you should have links between some of the other pages. I was trying to go to your site to give you some examples, but I kept getting a document contained no data error. So, I'm doing this from memory. But you may want to have links between the different product pages, or between some of the hunting/outdoors info pages. I can see the camo border on the left side of the screen on the other pages, but the first page has a border on both sides. I don't get the right border on the other pages. I viewed your site with Netscape 4.73. As for opening up another window for the off site links, if you add: target="_blank" in the a href tag, that will open up a new browser window with that link. It opens a full size window, I don't know how to automatically resize the window. I hope that clears up a few things
    -Bill

------------------
    Lake Superior Smokin' Brews
    www.smokinbrews.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi ScottC
    I took a look at you site and it really is pretty good. Thought the pictures loaded nicely and of good quality. To let you know I had all your borders on my browser. I to think that the homepage not fitting on the screen is a bit distracting, once your banner is gone you could wrap you text around the pictures and this could help fitting those pictures on the opening frame. Another suggestion I have is that some of your lengthy text or list of things i.e. hunter safty and the camping equipment could us some bullets or links within the text to break it up a little and keep it interesting.
    Over all good job. I am a woman and I do appreciate the clean and professional approach to your web site.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I visited your site today and I'm impressed. Obviously you got a LOT of content, and the front page loads fast too. However, I have 2 comments on this:

1. Your front page has a bottom scroller, which is a big no-no for a profesional site. Maybe that's because of your background image. I suggest you decrease the image, or resize it to 100% to fit all browser using all resolutions.

2. The absence of any navigation link on other pages kinda make it confusing for visitors. having everything lumped on the front page doesn't help either. may I suggest that you make navigation links on every page that links to Sections or your site. If you don't want the extra effort, maybe a framed interface would help save up some time.

Other than that, all is great. Develop it further and you've got yourself a very nice and profesional-lloking website.

------------------
    Sharifudin Rizal
    DarkStation.Com
    No-Nonsense PlayStation Website
    http://www.darkstation.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    Thank you for taking the time to take a look at the site. I do appreciate all comments that I have received. I am having a hard time deciding how to go about shortening up the front page but I am determined to get it shorter one way or another. I haven't looked at the site in other browsers except for AOL and IE so I don't understand about it not fitting properly. Time to find out what it looks like in Netscape! Thanks for letting me know that you find the site professional looking and clean. In a few months I will be adding products to sell and I need to make sure the site looks professional.

Scott
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by msaddog:
    Hi ScottC
    I took a look at you site and it really is pretty good. Thought the pictures loaded nicely and of good quality. To let you know I had all your borders on my browser. I to think that the homepage not fitting on the screen is a bit distracting, once your banner is gone you could wrap you text around the pictures and this could help fitting those pictures on the opening frame. Another suggestion I have is that some of your lengthy text or list of things i.e. hunter safty and the camping equipment could us some bullets or links within the text to break it up a little and keep it interesting.
    Over all good job. I am a woman and I do appreciate the clean and professional approach to your web site.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

Thanks for reviewing the site. The current background image is 1100x64. I was told I needed to make it that width due to people having their monitors set to larger sizes. Is this why there is a scroll bar at the bottom of the page? Sorry Im not all that good when it comes to graphics. It took me the longest time to make the ones I have there now. I use Paint Shop Pro for images so do I open the image in PSP and just resize it for 800x600?

The sections that do have navigation links on each page are the whitetail sections and waterfowl sections. Everything that you see on the main page in the drop down menus is linked together on those pages so that anyone who wanted to view waterfowl information would be able to go through those pages by following links at the bottom of the pages and the same for whitetail information.

I need to work on linking up the other sections.

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Scott

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by Rizal:
    Hello,

I visited your site today and I'm impressed. Obviously you got a LOT of content, and the front page loads fast too. However, I have 2 comments on this:

1. Your front page has a bottom scroller, which is a big no-no for a profesional site. Maybe that's because of your background image. I suggest you decrease the image, or resize it to 100% to fit all browser using all resolutions.

2. The absence of any navigation link on other pages kinda make it confusing for visitors. having everything lumped on the front page doesn't help either. may I suggest that you make navigation links on every page that links to Sections or your site. If you don't want the extra effort, maybe a framed interface would help save up some time.

Other than that, all is great. Develop it further and you've got yourself a very nice and profesional-lloking website.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall a good fast-loading site. Some things I noticed were that the main heading graphic "Camohunter.com" is stretched too big and sticks out over the camo background.

The link to "ballistic charts" gave a 404 not found error.

I loved the dog image at the bottom. That's interesting enough to be a heading graphic!

Hope it helps. I'm browsing with IE5 on win98 @ 640x400 resolution.

Sparkie www.pawsitronic.com