User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    885 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, very interesting insights @techmichelle ;
    Thanks for taking the time to write - your idea is worth thinking about.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, Thanks I get that a lot.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Errr... @techmichelle ; after reading what you said, I suspect that you don't like my signature

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    Errr... @techmichelle ; after reading what you said, I suspect that you don't like my signature
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @techmichelle,

You have some good points.

However, the case about your Dreamweaver question can be look at in different ways. For example, in the http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...ee-Version-IDE thread there were many suggestions for open source ide's for Web development. People attemted to highlight some of their strengths and you responded in kind. When you asked your question about an open source IDE you did not specify exactly the most important features for you. Free IDE's will definitely not have an exact replacement, so likely you did not expect an exact match? But for your part by not outlining specific requirements like "I need an IDE that has both code and design view, It needs to have the ability to split the code and design windows, and I need it to have a preview window... So this left it up to other to suggest things that they use. For my part in the thread, I suggested Eclipse because of its' power and tried to make it clear that it was a 'significant' IDE therefore it would take an investment to learn but in my opinion would be worth it.

As you had questions I attempted to answer them - keep in mind that, what I recommended is Eclipse, and as a large IDE there are many different ways to configure it. I did miss the intent of you design-code view so I can understand how that might of put you off. Saying that the posts need to be 'cleaned up' In your example, how would a paid person know what to edit, add or delete, not enough was described as to what you needed so, again how would a person know what you need and fill it in appropriately?

If you have difficulty searching and reading hints to answer your questions say in your post 'Hey please, if possible could you give me a detailed example and not refer other posts or weblinks as I need this type of direct clarity to be able to make this big decision? People that would answer this type of post would know what you expect and what they shouldn't do for your thread.

I find that it goes both ways: How well is the question outline and Are the responses adequate for the posed question; generally speaking on most SP forums the answer to the type of questions are appropriate and in may cases 'well thought out'.

For my part, I am sorry that you don't want to post as many parts of the form community have excellent ambassadors/mentors that provide superb feedback. I hope you decide to stay.

Regards,
    Steve
    ictus==""

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ServerStorm View Post
    When you asked your question about an open source IDE you did not specify exactly the most important features for you.
    Regards,
    Steve
    It was a question by CyberToolz. My response to him was that I had not found anything to compete. And yes I am always interested in information. It was an oops you responded to my post and I think your response should have been to him.

If you have difficulty searching and reading hints to answer your questions say in your post 'Hey please, if possible could you give me a detailed example and not refer other posts or weblinks as I need this type of direct clarity to be able to make this big decision?
    I have an education degree, I would not put this in, and I can tell you very few other people would either.

I am sorry that you don't want to post
    I shared the reason why I don't post certain types of questions on these forums. Never wrote that I don't post. :-)

Michelle

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    Love the "if you don't find the answer, then ask". Just pointed out that the search ability can be improved.
    Michelle

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by techmichelle View Post
    Love the "if you don't find the answer, then ask". Just pointed out that the search ability can be improved.
    Michelle
    I'm sure that it can be improved as sometimes I find the same difficulty to find relevant threads related to what I'm asking. And I do agree with many things what you said. It is true that we have to be more considerate and maybe link to those relevant threads (although staff members often do).

But I also agree with @ServerStorm ; that this is a two way conversation and the person who asks needs to be considerate too in two ways:

1) By doing a search and trying to find if there's any thread that solves the issue. Too often people simply posts and asks right away. They want us to do their homework. They don't care if the same questions is asked over and over and over. We also need to search to find the right threads and direct them to those.

2) By asking correctly, that is, giving enough information to solve the problem and be as specific as possible so we can suggest the right solution. Some people love to ask things like "How can I make money?". We try to help as much as we can even if you feel like saying "working?"

As you said, trying things by yourself and doing your homework pays off in the end. Being lazy doesn't.

And I'm drifted enough from the original topic so I'll close my mouth