SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    You can hide sections of the forums from the main list, by clicking the little 'up' chevron on the blue category bar. So you could hide the whole of Program Your Site, for example.
    I tried that for a little while but there's probably 2 or 3 from each i like to peruse, so it didn't work out for me.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielMilstein View Post
    HAWK, I haven't read all the comments. The one thing that is coming to my mind is that we should incorporate a cash system so that if an active poster reaches a mark, could be a target posts, or mentions or tags.. you should award the user some free eBooks or tools. If you decide on something like it there would be many writers, coders who will approach you with their ow products.. what do you think??
    Hey @DanielMilstein ; I like how you're thinking, but my concern is that we'll get people posting a whole lot of crap in an attempt to get to the goalpost. We ran a promotion called Golden Posts for a month or so last year, where we awarded free eBooks to really useful posts. That way it wasn't about quantity, but quality. We could definitely look at doing that again in a long term capacity. What do you think of that?

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HAWK View Post
    Hey @DanielMilstein ; I like how you're thinking, but my concern is that we'll get people posting a whole lot of crap in an attempt to get to the goalpost. We ran a promotion called Golden Posts for a month or so last year, where we awarded free eBooks to really useful posts. That way it wasn't about quantity, but quality. We could definitely look at doing that again in a long term capacity. What do you think of that?
    Hey Hawk,
    I thought this was a good idea when it was done. Anything that encourages a wider population to put forth quality posts is a good thing. Sitepoint books are great so as long as it is a limited affair that members can look forward to a random times throughout the year would be great.

My 2 cents on this subject.

Regards,
    Steve
    ictus==""

SitePoint Member DanielMilstein's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey HAWK! thank you for liking it, however i just gave you a very vague idea.. Yes, if you started to focus more on quantity than SP will become any other webmaster forums.. whole lot of crap posted everywhere. It is important to post quality, and may be something like if the post is getting good no of thanks or mentions.. that post will only qualify..! What do you think?

Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielMilstein View Post
    Hey HAWK! thank you for liking it, however i just gave you a very vague idea.. Yes, if you started to focus more on quantity than SP will become any other webmaster forums.. whole lot of crap posted everywhere. It is important to post quality, and may be something like if the post is getting good no of thanks or mentions.. that post will only qualify..! What do you think?
    I'll do some brainstorming. Thanks for the idea.

SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The way you post comments it's very important in readability. I like to see people give +1 points to people who use relavent italic, bold and underline in their comments.
    Just a thought :P
    follow me on ayyelo, Easy WordPress; specializing in setting up themes!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forums have been in decline for quite some time... Around 2007, twitter/facebook shifted away people's habits similar to what forums originally did for usenet. Now, things like stackoverflow make it MUCH easier to post.

Why are forums in decline? Simple. Most forums require users to sign up, and then wait 48 hours... either that, you that stupid captcha in unreadable.

Forums will likely be around as an "arm" of a site, but they will no longer be the main reason sites exist. Forums are very niche, and will remain that way. Again, twitter/facebook moved 95% of the thought to those sites.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should also add... most questions about PHP and MySQL have been asked. If there are more advanced questions, generally, they are discussed within a corporation.

I think that another fad... being a "web developer" stemmed from geocities, but today kids are more content with copy/paste and myspace/facebook/twitter. If any quesiton crops up, just google it and it's probably been discussed.

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edge kingdom View Post
    I should also add... most questions about PHP and MySQL have been asked.
    i can't speak for php, but for mysql, this is definitely not true

i've seen ~thousands~ of mysql questions, and people just keep on coming up with new ones

as for the idea that 95% of php/mysql questions have already migrated to twitter and facebook, i'm not even gonna comment on that daydream

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I have basically left the forumns due to an event that happened last year. I have not seen any changes as to how blue, green or red people treat others. This is my reason for not being active.
    Ryan B | My Blog | Twitter

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rguy84 View Post
    I know I have basically left the forumns due to an event that happened last year. I have not seen any changes as to how blue, green or red people treat others. This is my reason for not being active.
    That's quite a hefty statement, rguy84. Could you elaborate on what you dislike about the staff?
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will PM you

Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your comment @rguy84 ; - I know you had a less than ideal experience with a staff member but I don't believe that reflects on the state of the forum as a whole. I'm glad to see that you're still sticking around in some capacity.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This issue is not appropriate to discuss here, but i whole heartily disagree... The issue is still around.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This issue is not appropriate to discuss here, but i whole heartily disagree... The issue is still around.
    As long as it is not me, I'm happy

And I know that it can't be me because I'm so completely, absolutely perfect. A dream

Off Topic:

Sorry, I couldn't resist to put a bit of silly sense of humour in a situation like this. Simply, it is beyond me. Everybody needs a smile from time to time Or was the joke so bad that I made you cry?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha no it isn't @molona

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Haha no it isn't @molona
    Good. That's the way I like it

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kill some of the dinosaur forums...
    I strongly agree

Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FruitMedley Post View Post
    I strongly agree
    That process is underway (2 gone since Xmas). Out of interest, which ones would you suggest @FruitMedley Post ; ?

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Out of interest, which ones would you suggest ?
    i know this question wasn't addressed at me, but i'd like to respond

remember how we split off the marketplace into its own separate site?

could we please do the same with the seo forum?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand/won't use all this @@++L33t so, pardon my "English".

This reply is addressed to HAWK: Sarah, one logical way of approaching it would be to cull those forums not serving their intended purpose. I'm sorry I do not know enough of all your forums to draw up a list. However, I do know that my contributions to your forum 265 are languishing a bit and not getting the exposure I thought they'd get at the time I carefully crafted many of those posts. Given what I've invested in creating content for forum 265, I am genuinely disappointed that you haven't succeeded in your mission to revive that forum and that it has gone derelict. Maybe it's time to put it out of its misery.

Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post
    i know this question wasn't addressed at me, but i'd like to respond

remember how we split off the marketplace into its own separate site?

could we please do the same with the seo forum?
    We've been doing a lot of talking about the SEO forum and that idea has definitely been tabled. No decision has been made yet.

I don't understand/won't use all this @@++L33t so, pardon my "English".
    This will help with the understanding issue

...Given what I've invested in creating content for forum 265, I am genuinely disappointed that you haven't succeeded in your mission to revive that forum and that it has gone derelict. Maybe it's time to put it out of its misery.
    I won't go into the reasons that I believe that forum has failed, but I agree, its days are numbered.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's very kind and I genuinely appreciate you trying to point me in the right direction, but I don't want to understand. I don't "tweet", I don't get the need for this enforced narcissism and I find all this @ tagging rather juvenile. I wouldn't be surprised if, in due course, Sitepoint does away with this silly mod altogether.

If the 265 forum was busy and buzzing, I'd probably stop using Sitepoint altogether because I'd be tagged to bloody death and/or be bothered with a whole bunch of notifications I didn't ask for and don't want. But I'm taking this off-topic so I'll stop now.

Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    That's very kind and I genuinely appreciate you trying to point me in the right direction, but I don't want to understand. I don't "tweet", I don't get the need for this enforced narcissism and I find all this @ tagging rather juvenile. I wouldn't be surprised if, in due course, Sitepoint does away with this silly mod altogether.
    You're missing the point. I installed the plugin and I find it incredibly useful. If people need me they can tag me and I'm notified. It's as simple as that. Narcissism doesn't enter into it, and neither does Twitter.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    going to point out some items and make some suggestions. First the reason I no longer ask questions on the forums goes back to when I was a kid. Asked a teacher how to spell a word, she said look it up. A few times of trying to look it up, I ended up learning to enjoy reading the dictionary. Forget how long later she asked what I was doing, I admitted to just reading the dictionary, turns out it was ph. not s not f, not anything else I had tried. Turns out I am dyslexia. If you don't know the first couple letters you are basically screwed even today.

Why this impacts here. Okay love sitepoint books and articles. They are completely thought out questions and answers.

Take a current example, someone asked about a dreamweaver replacement. I have yet to find one. First the question seems one thing, you have a couple ways to take this. First they have had trouble with the forum search feature, I have lots of problems. Second they are checking for a current response, not unusual in a field that even 6 months means information can be out of date. Third they just don't quite have the full terminology down.

Dreamweaver replacement, usually means a person is asking is there a program that integrates split screen and Editing in Design View and Code View.

Lets see, search response is okay, except most people do not fully ask the question, the responses do not reflect, hey are you asking xxxxx. Then there is double checking anything new. Then there partial responses, that assume people can go do a search on the forum/internet for a full response with a hint.

All responses with this has been asked before should include a link to the question / response, and a recap of the conversation that includes the real question and skips the trash is highly helpful.

The other item is the hint responses. The here's a hint and if you can't find the answers on the internet you feel stupid having to ask for more information. If someone ask's a how to question, gets a hint, and has to come back and ask for more information a link to an article or blog that Fully explains it, is well nice. This would be the reason I do not ask questions here.

I would suggest figuring out some way to take the forums and turning them more into a front line for a paid member only section. Some type of you purchased and read the book on html5/css3. Here are the (cleaned up) questions asked in the forum after reading the book. Without some way of sitepoint turning it into income I don't see it getting better. Someway to pay someone to clean up the questions and answers.