SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 80
  1. #26
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes i will definitely agree with you and as well as with your question. In future there will be the market of voice not for typing but it is also the fact that through typing you will get more traffic than the voice. So, it is advisable to stick with typing.

  2. #27
    . shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    9,013
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Atcomaartb2b View Post
    ...through typing you will get more traffic than the voice...
    What?! That makes absolutely no sense...Sounds like this one is just a fluff poster.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.


  3. #28
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,053
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Atcomaartb2b View Post
    yes i will definitely agree with you and as well as with your question. In future there will be the market of voice not for typing but it is also the fact that through typing you will get more traffic than the voice. So, it is advisable to stick with typing.
    Where are your facts to back up your claim that it is a "fact that through typing you will get more traffic"?
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  4. #29
    SitePoint Member stacy_thao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a cool idea. Btw, have you tried searching in Google with your voice? There is this microphone button right next to the search area. It's fun

  5. #30
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion is we will start using our feet, voice & hands more effectively as we become more efficient. To be honest I am surprised it's taking so long to get there. I believe the voice will become more for opening things, searching and finding things as our attention is elsewhere completing other tasks.

  6. #31
    SitePoint Wizard Stomme poes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    10,276
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I thought this rant was interesting and insightful: http://worrydream.com/ABriefRantOnTh...ractionDesign/
    While he's talking about touch here, it means the same for voice. We use our voices a certain way (usually) for interaction and communication. If voice recognition gets better, then interaction designers will be worrying about how well their voice interface works with human brains and voices.

  7. #32
    SitePoint Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,582
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is interesting. I haven't gotten all the way through it just yet, but I will after I post this.

    I was discussing with my co-workers the other day hour our designs have to change. Now we are getting used to interacting with devices without any haptic or tactile feedback (aside from the occassional vibration). Yet we are still quite capable doing many tasks without looking at it (I can generally unlock my phone, put in the passcode and then change the song playing without looking at it, just because of the position of my hand relative to the device). How is that going to change user interaction and design going forward.

    Compounding that with changes in voice technologies, it's going to be interesting to see where things move to.

  8. #33
    SitePoint Wizard Stomme poes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    10,276
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yet we are still quite capable doing many tasks without looking at it (I can generally unlock my phone, put in the passcode and then change the song playing without looking at it, just because of the position of my hand relative to the device). How is that going to change user interaction and design going forward.
    I oughta see if I can find a video of a blind person using a touchscreen phone with VoiceOver. When VO is on, the gestures work differently, but you can "hover" over things (single tap to hear the item) and swipe and all that.

    Sucks that the rant I posted above has images that are conveying a message, yet have no alt attributes at all. Arg. Like the piano image: you can clearly see, he's just been talking about weight and resistance and texture and how things feel, and then he shows someone playing a touch-screen piano (as someone who learned piano growing up, I know exactly what that image is conveying).

  9. #34
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For texting, quick blog commenting, social networking voice to text conversion is ok. I think we are a few years away from a solution that will allow you to produce clear, correct and concise letters, web pages etc.

  10. #35
    SitePoint Wizard Stomme poes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    10,276
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @KatieT ; I've met someone on a web development forum who had little use of her hands, and was writing code using some Swedish version of Dragon Naturally Speaking.
    Last edited by Shyflower; Feb 14, 2012 at 11:07. Reason: fixed mention. How quickly they forget! :D

  11. #36
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope it happens soon. But still there is a problem in the accent of speaking. every nation speaks a same language in different accents. We should consider that in mind.

  12. #37
    SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    r937's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    39,250
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fredpete View Post
    Hope it happens soon. But still there is a problem in the accent of speaking. every nation speaks a same language in different accents. We should consider that in mind.
    and just how will that affect the result?

    last time i looked, you could not discern an accent in written text

    i'm wondering if you have actually read the thread and understood its premise...
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

  13. #38
    SitePoint Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,582
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think what he means is everyone's accent makes the software need to be different (like how Siri hates Scots =p). It'll take quite a while to finally have voice software that can truly understand everyone.

  14. #39
    SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    r937's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    39,250
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samanime View Post
    I think what he means is everyone's accent makes the software need to be different (like how Siri hates Scots =p).
    ah yes, of course

    sorry, petefred
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

  15. #40
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,053
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post
    ah yes, of course

    sorry, petefred
    that would be fredpete.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  16. #41
    SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    r937's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    39,250
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    that would be fredpete.
    whatev

    it's a made up name, though, innit
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

  17. #42
    SitePoint Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,582
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was actually talking about coding with words today when I was telling someone some code.

    I think coding with voice could become popular, but not with any of our current languages. I think we'd need a language which removes most of the symbols and looks more like pseudo-code:
    Code:
    while books = 5 do
      if books = 3 then
       print hi
      end if
    end while
    which is much easier to "say" then:
    Code:
    while(books == 5) {
      if(books == 3) {
        echo "hi";
      }
    }

  18. #43
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,053
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post
    whatev

    it's a made up name, though, innit
    yeah, sorta like shyflower or r937!
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  19. #44
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think scientist already made this technology but unable to offer worldwide for security reasons.

  20. #45
    SitePoint Wizard Stomme poes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    10,276
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I think we'd need a language which removes most of the symbols and looks more like pseudo-code:
    Python's pretty speakable. Though I'd say "colon" and "outdent" for context

  21. #46
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a definite possibility for voice to replace typing in the future however I think in my generation I will not see this occur.

  22. #47
    SitePoint Wizard Stomme poes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    10,276
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

    Reason: fixed mention. How quickly they forget!
    It wasn't a mention, I hate the tagging thing, but directing some of your speech to someone using @ symbol is starting to become a norm on many forums (prolly because of twitter). Similarly, I hate smilies being default, and deliberately have to add a space like : ) just to keep things non-cute-ified. #damnedkids #getoffmylawn

    : D

  23. #48
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    voice to text does not allow for apostrophes. Consider the following classic example-

    There was no dinner in the house, so I ate the dogs.
    There was no dinner in the house, so I ate the dogs'.

    Now did someone eat a dog or just the dogs' dinner?

  24. #49
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,053
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KatieT View Post
    voice to text does not allow for apostrophes. Consider the following classic example-

    There was no dinner in the house, so I ate the dogs.
    There was no dinner in the house, so I ate the dogs'.

    Now did someone eat a dog or just the dogs' dinner?
    I don't really think your example shows the difference. The inflection in both spoken sentences would be the same. What matters in voice is inflection and I think that's where voice to text fails right now.

    Those who write for the web must both choose their words and punctuate them very carefully so as to not create a misunderstanding in their meaning. Irony can easily be mistaken for sarcasm and I think that is one of the same problems that text to voice will encounter.

    For instance in the earlier example I posted, the meaning of a simple sentence such as "I love you" has a different meaning when any one of the three words is emphasized. Such a small change makes a dramatic difference in nuance.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  25. #50
    SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    r937's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    39,250
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

    i traded in my old subtlety... for a nuance


    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •