SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My site is a little different. It's my second review of this site. I've added new navigation and layout for you to check.
    www.sclakes.com

Thanks in advance.

Michael Martin

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~~~ This site has been approved ~~~

Much nicer and a lot of improvement over version one. Not too sure about the gray background in the menu cells, might think about a slate blue that gives a small hint of water instead of boring gray. Also the page would look more polished if you lost the table borders.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    SitePoint Moderator
    ICQ 29015947

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better than version 1.0!

Is there a reason for using a frame on the top? It doesnt really make sense to me yet why you are using a floating nav bar AND a frame. Frame doesnt serve a purpose, IMHO.

And the logo is still weird looking.

You have a nice photo on the first page and the site is way more descriptive now. Keep up the good work.

Secondary pages: right where you have lake greenwood: I like the idea of blue bg. It needs work though.

::

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michael

IMHO I liked the last version a bit better. But I do like the photo on the front page, nice touch. I dislike the floating navigation, maybe you could make it part of the top frame. It does seem a bit odd using a frame and the floating navigation. Also if you move over the business link part of the navbar you loose one link as it is behind one of your search boxes.

I also concur about doing a way with the table boarders. Also try to pick one type of font and stay with it. I like Arial, but it looks a bit amateurish mixing fonts on the same page.

Don’t get me wrong, I still like your site and thing you have a good idea going here.

Glad to see you working on it.

Take care

Michael

------------------
    World National Fantasy Basketball Association
    www.wnfba.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I droped the table borders, and changed the grey to a light aqua. I'm still not happy with that color so will be changed. How about just white?

I am using the frames which isn't very popular but I have alot of offsite links. I want then to check them out but come back when their done. I am open for sugestions.

The logo is suppose to look rough.

The floting navigation does not work in all browsers so I added the secondary. Most likely the floter will go away by the end of the month.

Michael- When you say mixing fonts, do you mean the font size?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try #6A96AF as the background color. You might be a little surprised and like it.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    SitePoint Moderator
    ICQ 29015947

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, let me say that I liked your site. I like the colors and the fonts, and the content seems to be pretty good too. The image maps are very nice !

There are 2 things that struck me when I looked at the site and that was 1st of all the top logo. It looks a bit pixelated. Was that your intention ? I do like the 'lakes of south carolina' font that was written under the logo though.

2nd: The floating menu bar, and floating it does . It looks a bit weird when you scroll and it disappears and then pops up again. In itself it's not a bad idea though. Do you provide an alternative for those without javascript ?

Hope this helps .
    Eric

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eric,
    The logo is rough cut font, it is suppose to look that way. But I do know what you mean.

Luke- I do like it, I'll post throughout & lets see what everyone else thinks.

Thanks

Michael Martin

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michael,

What I was talking about was the font type in the search and community box on the left. The font for those is Ariel where as the rest of your site uses whatever the default of the viewers browser is as the font type is undefined.

I think it is better to nest the font type or at least specify it in the font tag. It is also my opinion that Ariel is a clean looking font and is the one I choose most often.

Also maybe you could try offsetting background colors in your tables as a way of breaking up the white background.

Take care,

Michael

------------------
    World National Fantasy Basketball Association
    www.wnfba.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michael

I have followed you advice and changed the font.
    I will look at contrasting colors for the tables tomorrow.

Thanks

Michael Martin www.sclakes.com

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a little off topic

about color: if it doesnt belong in the web-safe palette, then chances are it wont be rendered right. Browsers will dither it to the nearest matching color - you'll be suprised!

It is a nice color though, luke

just looked at the page again, looks SO much better! Now the bright blue bar on top seems out of place. Keep working, doing good!

JavaScript Guru (Big Ego) Arielladog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't see your other site, but it looks like a good site. I am from South Carolina too, Orangeburg, and didn't know anyone else was in here from there. By the way, if you can get me a job, I will take it over ther summer..hehe. Anyway, to the review:

1. Hated the top frame thing...I didn't get the flags, and why do you need that to be in an absolute postition, always there, taking up space which I could be using to read the pages on.

2. Same thing about take up sapce goes with the menu bar...I really don't like how it follows me, more annoying b/c I have seen it so much. I also didn't like the colors of the menu bar. I like the colors of the real page (on the sides of it). Try using those colors...

3. When I went to specefic lakes through the map, the color was different (as was much of the page) I would keep like the main page (without the top frame and absolute menu bar).

4. If you happen to keep the top frame, make it "blend in with the othe frame underneath it" That is what really annoyed me about it. I would also keep the look unform (if I didn't mention it before).

5. The site, overall, is slow. I have a cable modem (really fast and working fast) and it took a while to get to each site after clicking on it.

6. On atleast your lake moultrie page, I would move my mouse over "polease click here for more information" and I wouldbarely be able to read it anymore.

Sorry for being harsh, it is tiem for bed, and I am cranky. The site will be interesting when it is done. Keep it up

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michael(WNFBA)- I am moving the search box below the communities, I think that will help eliminate the spots.

Temis- Thanks

Arielladog -
    The flags spellout sc lakes.
    The color should be the same on all main lake pages which is the deep aqua, then under each sub heading it changes to an image, eg. ship's wheel.
    I get a pretty fast load considering the graphic and the images.
    Please review the site again and you will see some of the changes I have implimented
    (?sp)
    As for as a job - send me a resume.

Not harsh just honest- Thanks

Has anyone else had any problems with load time?

JavaScript Guru (Big Ego) Arielladog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, I like the color changes for the other pages. The load page is fine now...really fast. Not sure why it was so slow all of a sudden yesterday (sometimes cable modem does that).

1. Personally, I still don't like the menu bar because

a. it doesn't work right. I move my mouse over the about south carolina lakes and the stuff under the stuff that should pop-down under each link pops down under the lakes link. For example (since I wasn't real clear), I move the mouse over about SC lakes, underneath the lakes, the pop-down menu comes down saying contact us, advertising info, etc... Also, I do that, and the menu bar, just goes right back up so it doesn't stay long. THe bar is messed up.

2. I still don't like top frame bar, and sitll don't see the flag thing. I don't liek the dark blue that you use for top frame bar and navigation bar.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only browsers on computers set to a 256 color palette with dither it. The browser is capable of showing all the colors the video display is set to. In these days it is time to give the web-safe color palette a long earned rest. Even people with 640 X 480 resolutions have their palettes set to 16 (16,000+ colors) or 24 (16.7 million colors) bit color. Why limit yourself to 218?

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    SitePoint Moderator
    ICQ 29015947

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the way you have the pop down menus for navigation. But you might want to consider having them inside your top frame under your logo. That way, when users check their email, they can still navigate when done checking. Also, your logo looks kind of unprofessional, you might want to get a professional one made. Lat thing…you don’t have any copyright prints on the bottom of your pages, that could be very dangerous. Think about copyrighting your site.

Overall…very nice site. I Specially like the pop down menus. Good luck!

------------------
    Ali Mousavi
    CarAudioClub.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arielladog- The bar is functioning properly.
    The bar is very simple, if you put your cursor over "Lakes" then without clicking the bar comes down and it will stay down untill you move away from it.
    The flags - they are nautical flags that spell-out s c l a k e s. What is there to understand?

Mousavi- Thanks. Yours too. The logo is rough it is suppose to look rough. Thanks about the copyright- I forgot to put it back on the new layout.

Michael Martin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While having a copyright notice on your pages helps, it is not legally necessary. Anything you create is automatically copyrighted when it is published by international law and treaty. If you register your copyright with the government all you get is a legal representation of the date your copyright went into effect. You can do this by notarized affidavit as well.

If you want to go through the registration process and can't afford it then simply copy your site on either a zip disk or CDR with a notice of creation specifying the date, this can be notarized or not. Mail the entire package to yourself. Keep the package sealed because the postmark is a valid government seal with a date on it. You can use this as proof of copyright in a court of law if need be. Musicians and Filmmakers started using this technique in the 40's and 50's to copyright their works. It has stood up in the courts and is considered a poor man's copyright.

Remember to check your government's regulations before using this technique outside the U.S.A.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Moderator/Internet Media Developer
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have never thought of that!

Thanks Luke

Michael

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photo contest page - "breif" should be "brief"

BTW - nice photos!

[This message has been edited by Ted (edited May 08, 2000).]

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wayne,

true, I was referring to monitors with 256 colors. I guess it depends on the audience you are designing for, I usually try not to exclude anyone, but still I am guilty of using non browser-safe colors

Michael,

Looks better and better. You removed table borders on the left, so the left side now doesnt appear to be separated from the text.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Temis- Thanks.

I greatly apreciate all of your help. Some of you may remember the first layout, but with yall's help it's really coming togeather.

Thanks Again,

Michael Martin