SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Download Dialog Box Won't Open

I have 3 downloadable, self-extracting .exe files accessed from my download page.

http://modena.intergate.ca/personal/mci/download.html

This has been working fine and I believe it still is for others using IE Explorer 6.0, Opera, Netscape.
    It also works on my PC using Netscape 4.7 but not when I use IE Explorer 6.0

When I click one of my files to download - the Download Dialog Box does not pop up anymore. It starts 'Downloading from site' and when finished brings up a white page with a tiny graphic on it. Meanwhile a File Folder has been created such as
    C:Windows\Temporary Internet Files\ Content.IE5\ x-6bhqz3uy
    and the downloaded file has been placed there. I guess that this is the cache.

I'm trying to think what I might have done to cause this. The only thing I can think of is that I was editing a page on line (Netscape Composer) instead of on my HD version and saved the update online.

I have cleared the cache and history numerous times and set to automatically check for a newer version every time I visit the page. The problem seems to be with IE Explorer but I have also just updated Win 98 and IE Explorer 6.0 with the same results.

Any suggestions about what's happenning here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It appears what happened was you inadvertently enabled the option to "automatically download using this option," which would be the option to download from the site automatically with no prompt. Obviously, this isn't a problem with your code or site, just a setting set on your computer. To fix it, you can try installing Download Accelerator at SpeedBit.com and that will reset your settings so you get a similar prompt again. Either way, it shouldn't affect your visitors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marc

I thought that it might be a problem with something I did while working my site and not IE Explorer in general, but wasn't sure. Maybe I'll just leave well enough alone for now but have bookmarked Speedbit for later if I need it. I am doing a lot of things inadvertantly lately but it doesn't help to have ten thumbs.

Thanks for the help.

Ken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Download Dialog Box won't open for an .exe file

Download Dialog Box won't open for an .exe file
    This pertains to an .exe file only
    It seems others are having this problem as there are a number of postings in the newsgroup
    microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
    With info from there I was able to get a dialog box back.
    It may have to do with

Netscape-Style Plug-ins Do Not Work After Upgrading Internet Explorer
    http://support.microsoft.com/support.../q303/4/01.asp

Anyway this worked for me. I'm using Win98SE, IE6.0 SP1 and Netscape.

Use Regedit to export (for safety) and delete this:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet\Explorer\Plugins\Extension\.exe
    Remove the plugin (the .exe folder)

Start-Run-Regedit.exe
    Navigate down to this key and remove it, after exporting it as a normal safety precaution.

I got a very detailed tutorial on editing the registry at:
    http://www.tvforums.co.uk/tutorials/registry.html

All is well again . . . for now.