SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dreamweaver mx unstable

hello. Is it my install, or is dreamweaver mx just terribly unstable? When I first tried it i thought it was just unstable, but now it's getting so bad i'm thinking it might be me...
    Duarte Carrilho da Graša
    RailsHelp.com: Searchable Rails reference
    CACA: Committee for the Annihilation of Complicated Acronyms

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What problems are you having? My install seems ok....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it has never crashed on me. You might want to check and see if you have the latest updates/version as that might fix some issues here and there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard from other DW users that MX introduced some new problems, like memory leaks and problems with site definitions.

I myself will stick with GoLive (although I'm careful not to be too hasty in recommending it wholeheartedly, as 6.0 is the first really stable version yet, and even at that it has problems crashing on occassion!).

"A small group of thoughtful people could change the world.
    Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." --Margaret Mead

Central, PA - originally from Monterey, CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What OS are you using? Windows 98 has some memory leaks that really show up with my Macromedia programs.

I'm using XP Professional now and MX works great.

I did install an extension onetime that caused it to crash pretty consistantly, but once I removed the extension all was good.

You can also use the extension manager to load or unload various extensions as needed. I believe this helps with memory while it is running.

best regards,
    worksdev.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really love dreamweaver's site management feature (at first sight)... That's basically the reason I tried to keep it. But then it crashed so much, and I started seing things were so 'strict'... I couldn't use templates (wastes a lot more time than it saves, trying to find places to put your code in and then it doesn't let you put code anywhere else.. I tried for a whole day to put my php code before the <html> tag, and I don't remember if i managed to do it or not (i don't think i did tho), but that was pretty much when i decided to dump it for UltraEdit, but i hated ultraedit's site management feature, and it was a bit ugly (I like to work on pretty software)...

so now i tried going back to dreamweaver, now under win2k, but it was the same thing, kept crashing over and over... completely unusable (and it was the first time i 'rejected' a program because it was unstable, but I just couldn't stand this one...)
    Duarte Carrilho da Graša

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by worksdev
    What OS are you using? Windows 98 has some memory leaks that really show up with my Macromedia programs.

I'm using XP Professional now and MX works great.

I did install an extension onetime that caused it to crash pretty consistantly, but once I removed the extension all was good.

You can also use the extension manager to load or unload various extensions as needed. I believe this helps with memory while it is running.

best regards,
    worksdev.

I'm not using any extansions or anything.. I did noticed it crashed more often in 98 than in 2k (never tried in XP), but I still can't stand it...
    Duarte Carrilho da Graša

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: dreamweaver mx unstable

Originally posted by lirux
    hello. Is it my install, or is dreamweaver mx just terribly unstable? When I first tried it i thought it was just unstable, but now it's getting so bad i'm thinking it might be me...
    Dreamweaver MX is by far the most unstable version of Dreamweaver to date. I find that certain pages trigger errors for example on one site and layout whenever I rename a form field in design view it will crash and I have had a few plenty of other errors.

You should check to see if these problems are specific to certain layouts or pages with certain chunks of code that does seem to be where most of the crashes come from others appear just to be random

I would switch back to 4 if it wasn't for the PHP support that makes life so much easier for me, because it includes PHP include() commands so you can see the full page although this doesn't always work, depending on where the code is postioned.

I really think Macromedia needed to work more on the code before releasing it, it feels as if it was a little rushed at the end.

I also find Dreamweaver slow to work with, doesn't anyone else?
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found several problems with dreamweaver mx and server side includes <!-- #include.... -->. Dreamweaver mx apparently out of nowhere pulls the code from the include and brings it into the page in some weird MM:BeginLock tags. This is appears to be a random thing, because it doesn't do it with all includes.

In case anyone wanted to know
    http://www.geoflux.com
    embrace the pace of a new world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like how Dreamweaver pulls the code from includes because when you have a header file where the CSS file and other things are defined it is very useful, you can see how the actual page will look and still use CSS. However I use PHP for includes and It only seems to include the file if it is near the start of the PHIP code, if it's somewhere in the middle of it then it doesn't do it!

I hope Macromedia are working on a patch for all these issues.
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Count me in as another frustrated user. The thing gives weird errors on top of errors and locks up whenever I try to rename or delete a file. I have also had the form field crash that another person mentioned. I am not using any extensions nor do I have any complex files being worked on. First Fireworks sucks up all my memory for no apparent reason, now this. I'm getting pretty disappointed in MX and I hope they come up with resolutions soon. It gets annoying restarting things all the time just to get a few tasks done.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've been having this issue as well on Windows 2000 with DW MX. Upon opening certain pages the app crashes on me. Just goes to show you that you can't have just one editor on your computer! Anyway I have HTML-Kit and trusty ol' Notepad as my backups for those pesky files that crash Dreamweaver. Otherwise though, I think it's a pretty big improvement over version 4, especially with support for PHP, XML, and XHTML. However, I find that I don't really use the graphical coding all that much and spend most of my time coding by hand. On the one hand I like the intelli-sense and tag closing...on the other hand though I hate when it closes a tag I didn't want it to close, i.e. when I want to wrap an existing element in "<div align=right>". Anyway, I don't think this is a place to air out my gripes...I should really be sending this over to Macromedia! Thanks for listening.

--Vinnie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    By the way, anybody know if these errors persist on the Mac version of the MX product line? I'm considering getting a PowerBook or iMac sometime soon and would like to know this, since MX and Photoshop are the apps I use most.

--Vinnie