SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

First Impression:
    Very professional, nicely designed, very attractive for new customers. If I was a potential customer, I would *really* be impressed, you obviously are a high quality designer ;-).

Browser Compatibility:
    I see you have tried your best in both IE and NS. Both these look fine. I have also viewed your site with the WebTV Viewer and find that you have one major flaw: you need to set your background colour to white (<body bgcolor=white> ). In WebTV the default bgcolour is grey, whereas both IE and NS use white as the default. With the bgcolor as grey, the site looks kinda ugly.

Layout:
    Two suggestions: firstly centre the little bar at the top of each page, and secondly, you might consider having a navigation bar at the top and bottom of each page, rather than just at the bottom of the pages.

Hope that is of use to you! BTW: I am using a PC with Win 98.

------------------
    Daniel Irvine
    f-free - Free Stuff and Freebies!

[This message has been edited by nitegold (edited March 14, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hello there:

please review this site:
    http://www.carib.com/digitalworks

looking for the following points:

1) first impression on the site and design.
    2) browser compatibility
    3) layout.

thanks in advance.

------------------
    Morpheos - Web Developer
    Digital Works Web Design/Development
    morpheos@carib.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~~~ This site has been approved ~~~

All other posts have been removed.

REMEMBER DO NOT POST A REVIEW UNTIL IT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY JONESE!!!

------------------
    Eric Jones - WR Moderator / Administrator
    http://www.computermoles.com
    "Digging up the best in computer software!"

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The red totally smacks you in the face. Target customers-small to medium size buinesses, may work really well. The light colors on the inside (blues, grey)work really well. It is a little hard to read, you may want to increase the font size.
    It looks as if your main page was originally going to be white & then you changed the background to red. I would try to blend the colors a little.

Michael Martin
    webmaster@sclakes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really sorry about that,

there was a glitch in our web site that made the background red. Yes, it is supposed to be white.

The problem was solved.

------------------
    Morpheos - Web Developer
    morpheos@carib.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well designed. Just a suggestion regarding the color of your Text link; your text link is mauve and the background white. I suggest you use a blue text link.

------------------
    Search Engines Ranking Freeware- "5 out 5 stars" ZDNET editor choice product

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First Impression:

Not bad.. but a little too plain. Don't get me wrong, black text on a white background is easiest to read, but there weren't many images, and the one that you did have (pin.gif) should have its width and height attibutes added, so that the space for it loads and the text stays in the same place, instead of shifting over.

On the Design/Imaging page you have a grammatical error - 'the choice is your's' should say 'yours'.

Also, being a web design company, I was looking for a little more in the way of spectacular effects.. maybe a mouseover on the main screen that changes the text within brackets where you've written "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Something in that place to elaborate on your links would be a nice touch

Browser Compatability:

Tested in both IE 5 and NN 4 - your arrows on the mouseover didn't show in IE 5, instead the screen just quivered. Otherwise it looks great.

Layout:

No complaints here. Looks clean and crisp. Just work out the minor errors and you'll be set.

Good luck!!
    Sparkie

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the look of your site... loads fast and the design is simple - I like simple!!

A few suggestions.. there is no way to get back to your home page.. I would suggest you add that to the links at the bottom of each page..

Also, on the page where you have links to sites you have created, I would suggest creating a thumbnail of each of the sites so people can see the site before they actually click on it...

Other then that.. nice site!!

------------------
    suzielopes@yahoo.com
    http://www.cosas-de-enrique.com
    http://www.vipguestlist.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, since I don't have Javascript enabled, my first and only impression was a blank white screen. You migh want to have a link for people without javascript enabled so they can view your site. I looked at the netscape version and was able to use it without javascript, so there's probably no reason to block those of us who don't use javascript at times.

Your contact page looks a little bad since all the text is centered in the page.

It would probably be good to put a link back to the front page in the top left corner. This is pretty standard I think and I have sort of come to expect it from a site.

I really like the front page with the picture of the eye, I would ditch some of the logos at the bottom of the page though and it might not be a bad idea to ditch the counter too.

Other than that things look good.

------------------
    Plebius Press - An independent media network

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Nice use of graphics, but I think a domain name is a must.

I would also add some more color to the "inner pages"...but it definetly struck me as professional the second it loaded.

------------------
    Chris - TWT Commish
    http://www.warningtrack.net
    "Baseball - Baked Fresh Daily"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Good web site... But, the buttons at the bottom showing your affiliations with popular organizations doesn't look right with the "intro page" style. In addition to this, I expected the buttons to javascript and do "something fancy" as a common visitor would put it. Not just explaining that clicking on "pricing" takes me to the pricing page. Definitely the right idea and it should attract clients and a good deal of design awards. Just make some changes. Our online advertising service at http://instantsites.com will surely produce visitors to boost that hit counter. Worth checking out. Good luck!

David Seaman
    InstantSites CEO http://www.instantsites.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall, a good look and feel. On to the negative...

The colors are nice, but they seem a little washed-out and soft. The font size should definitly be increased.

The portfolio section needs some updating. One link took me to a site that had the same look and feel. Another link took me to a site that was still underconstruction. And another link took me nowhere (404 error).

You may want to reconsider your pricing strategy. I realize that you are offering a lot in the first package, but it gives the impression that you can't get anything for less then a grand. You are using a lot of technical terms in your pricing. My experiance has been that most clients don't desire to know all the technical details. Frontpage support is a hosting issue and HTML and CSS support is confusing. Also, I received an error while trying to do a domain search from this page.

Lastly and maybe most importantly is your 'Contact Info'. There are many people at school, work, or the library who do not have easy access to an email program. A fill-in-the-blank form is always a good idea.

IMHO,
    Westmich

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the clean look to your site. It is one of the best sites that sell webpages I have seen. The images are very well done also. By the way, how many people work at your company?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -> very nice design! love the eye logo...reminds me of Paint Shop Pro's Professionalism.

2) browser compatibility
    -> IE 5.0 and Navigator 4.6 works fine.

3) layout.
    -> I find that the left-hanging header looks awkward along the top. It should be either placed directly above the rest of the content or move the rest of the content under the left-aligned header. The colors match well against the white background

--
    Winson http://mercury.spaceports.com/~mavix

thanks in advance.
    [/B][/QUOTE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great..

people i would like to thank you all for the awsome help and the comments that you gave. we will defenetly change a lot of thinks on this site and we will see how people like it.i think the the first thing that should be done is the front page that will and should bring more effects and impression.

thanks a lot again...if there are any other comments, keep 'em coming.

from.mars. there are 4 active members in digital works. on the site itself is just me and another programmer.

ty again...

------------------
    Morpheos - Web Developer
    morpheos@carib.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Morpheous,

As i posted much earlier, I like your site from a webmaster's point of view; however, let's step back and view it from a client's point of view.

First, you said that you are targeting small to medium sized businesses, right? The business case for these businesses to outsource their web strategies is due to a lack of 1) money 2) expertise 3) time. If you target your site at satisfying these three constraints you will definitely become more successful.

1.) Money - I like the fact that you have a cookie cutter pricing package. This allows the client to see the bottom line, what they should expect. HOWEVER, many small businesses are not interested in selling anything on the web, or placing a database on the web. It's these businesses that you are not targeting! They are not interested in paying over $1,000 to put a simple brochure on the web. Perhaps you could get a plan that has a smaller startup cost, albeit with less features. Maybe you could create 5 site templates and let them chose which site they like. Then put together a simple, but nice, 3 page site for them that you will host on your servers using theirdomainname.digitalworks.com at maybe $25/mo! This will help smaller companies get a quick and inexpensive web presence. This will also help you leverage all costs involved in making the templates. The advantage to you for doing this is that you are building a rapport with these clients. If they get bigger they will go to you for advice, bringing your company more business!!!! MAKE YOUR SALES RELATIONSHIP BASED, NOT SIMPLY TRANSACTION BASED.

2.) Since these clients don't have much expertise, they don't understand XML, HTML, CSS, DHTML...even some "so-called" web experts don't know what these terms mean. What you need to do is tell the client what it can do for them!! VISUALLY show them some examples..."this site is effective because it integrates a database with the site using XML!" Perhaps, posing a solution to a common problem that small businesses face. This will be more effective than using industry "BUZZ-WORDS".

3.) Most small business owners don't have time to pick their nose, much less waste hours on the web looking for a web solution. You've been very effective at getting to the point...i like your sites simple navigation. However, I do agree with some previous posts that you should make your site a little more "technically-advanced" so as to impress your clients.

I'm curious to learn about some sites that you've created using XML and what their business case is/was.

Regards,

Sam

[This message has been edited by DLG (edited March 24, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    first impression:
    -- smooth and silky! like fine belgian chocolate!

broswer compatibility:
    -- i'm using ie5 and was redirected without any problems. reads well on a 640x480 browser, but with graphics turned off, i was lost. i had to rely on the status bar to find out where to go next. alt tags would be very helpful.
    -- same experience with nc4.7...
    -- my lynx browsing experience was less enthusiastic...i loaded a blank screen with no links and no text

layout:
    good layout overall. the subpages are very pleasing, but they lack a link back to the homepage.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    first impression:

download time is a little bit too long (T1 connection), í like the homepage, very good image and menu structure.
    sublevel pages: why didnīt u try to use the eye image as a background ? it would help to brand a unique look & feel.
    browser comp: sorry, i have only got ie5 installed, that works fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like the homepage design and graphics,
    i agree with a previous review that the "eye of the beholder" would be cool as a mouseover effect, and because of the clean look of the home page i think the affiliation buttons on bottom take away from the overall look.
    By the way, can you recommend a good source for photos ( i am looking at a lot of garbage when i need something)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - I thought this site was great, the eye graphic is awesome and the navigation is easy too, which is a definite plus.

2) browser compatibility
    - It worked with my MSIE 5.0 at 1024 X 768 and looked damn good.

3) layout.
    - I enjoyed the layout the graphic of the eye was really cool, and the navigation was beautifully simplistic.

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little slow to load, but that was in part due to your browser redirect script, so I didn't mind as much. I relly like the layout of your splash page, but you may want to go with a little more contrast. The text doesn't stand out enough for me.

I would hire you for a job, based on your site alone -->very professional!

Mike

------------------
    Street Bikers United protecting the rights of motorcyclists worldwide.
    Cosmic Custom Airbrush - Hawaii's premier airbrush studio.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the top of the sub pages has what looks like some type of navigation bar.

Example: > DESIGN / IMAGING

It woould be cool it you could click on it to back up a page/topic.

On my system it seemed to load a little slow. Of course it also may be the internet. I'm running 56k.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First impression was one of professionalism. Very nice graphics. I like it alot.

As far as layout is concerned, I think the DIGITAL WORKS logo and the animated text graphic under it get lost way off on the upper right (my res is 1280 x 1024).

Also... I could be waayy off base here... if someone wants to set me straight please do... but the IWA and html Writers Guild logos detract greatly from the professionalism the rest of the main page exudes... they remind me (although not as bad) of the "awards" you see on sites... If you want to mention your affiliations of that type... maybe a textual mention on the about us page would work better??

Very nice overall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello al of the fine people who have been reviewing our site.

Most of the exellent comments of our page will be taken in serious consideration. Thanks for all the help. As seen of the comments, many of you said that the site was prefessional but the logos at the end where a pain. thats one of the things we are going to change.

Thanks again and any further comments are welcomed with open arms.

------------------
    Morpheos - Web Developer
    morpheos@carib.com

ICQ 65778801