Eric Jones - WR Moderator / Administrator
    http://www.computermoles.com
    "Digging up the best in computer software!"

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This site was designed not to look too professional. The company is a family owned buisness that wanted a website that was easy to update. It was my first website and any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Michael Martin

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>This site was designed not to look too professional. The company is a family owned buisness that wanted a website that was easy to update. It was my first website and any comments would be greatly appreciated.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Well that sounds silly. A 12 year old paper boy would benefit from having a professional looking site, so I would think a company that wants you to fork over big bucks for a boat should strive for a professional looking site.

Anyway, I am new to this but here it goes:

o Your fonts seem too inconsistent. They may be the same face, but the size, color, and style vary too much.

o Everything seems too large.

o Use a spellcheck. I noticed "sponsered".

o More than one marquee/scrolling text on a page is too much.

o The send e-mail animation looks way too dated.

Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few points:

1) I would keep the same background color on all the pages. The blue bg on that one page doesn't fit with the rest of the site.

2) Centering the text on the pages is generally a bad idea. It's ok for the copyright info, etc. at the bottom but for the main text it is kind of akward to read.

3) I agree that you should ditch the email gif.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Considering it's your first website, it's pretty decent. I would tone the colors down...making your site easy on the eyes is a must. I'd also stay away from un-neccessarily large text.

------------------
    Chris - TWT Commish
    http://www.warningtrack.net
    "Baseball - Baked Fresh Daily"

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice. I'll fix the gif, drop the marquees, and also work to make the fonts cleaner.

Thanks.
    Keep the critism comming.

Michael Martin

mouse monkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

True your site doesn't look that proffesional but it is a very good atempt as it is your first site. In my opinion you should:

1) Keep the design the same throughout the site. Different background colours can become very confusing.

2) I don't know whether you know but Netscape doesn't support the &lt;marquee&gt; tag but it still looks good static.

2) I think the navigation needs rethinking, you have external links more visible than ones inside your site.

Keep up the good work.

Fletch

[This message has been edited by adamfletch (edited March 18, 2000).]

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site does not look very professional. You should get rid of the black bars and make the background white on all pages. You should also include everything in a table that is 600 pixels wide and centered. You should also change the main page so it is not just links to other pages.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should also make the images of the brands you carry smaller and make the logo for the boat a picture of a &lt;i&gt;real&lt;/i&gt; boat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not bad for your first site...

-- definitely design with 640x480 users in mind

-- use whitespace rather than those black bars

-- by changing your background color to white, you will get rid of those white pixels surrounding many of the logos

-- keep the backgrounds consistent; you have different backgrounds for the home page, the used parts page, etc.

-- the drop shadow on the martins marine service logo blends into the blue polygon; try a different color drop shadow or change the polygon color

-- reduce the drop shadow distance

-- the right side of the service logo is cut off

-- generate the two logos as transparent gifs so you don't have the logos encased in white boxes

keep up the good work!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by from.mars:
    The site does not look very professional. You should get rid of the black bars and make the background white on all pages. You should also include everything in a table that is 600 pixels wide and centered. You should also change the main page so it is not just links to other pages. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well... If it was your first site then it was ok... But the first page was very unappealing to me... The rest was ok, but i agree that the blue BG doesnt go with the rest of the site, otherwise decent site.

------------------
    - Jerry
    http://www.geocities.com/nexuzizill/index.html

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, why is are there so many HR lines on the 1st page? Looks very crowded. The blue logo looks very somewhat 'dull' because you have a dark blue with black texts. Try changing the logo with contrasting colors. Everything else looks great!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ted- Changed the fonts, trashed the marquees, and the e-mail gif.

Luzer- See above.

TWTCommish-Thanks - Colors are gone please check it now.

ADAM- Killed the different backgrounds, marquees, and changed the outside links making them smaller.

from.mars- Bars are gone, & its all white. I didn't do the table but It does look better.

Cow- site is now designed for 640x480, bars are gone, backgound is white,As for as the logo- I'm still waiting to get an actual logo, I just made both of them really quick.

viZor- Check me out now

Mavix- Stupidity I guess. Please see above.

Thanks guys.
    Michael Martin

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Navigation: Why does the Service link on http://www.martinsmarine.com/home.htm link to the index page and not http://www.martinsmarine.com/newmms.htm

Why do you have the two areas separated at all?

Text: Centered text is hard to read.

Instead put content in a table then center the table

The bold is also unnecessary. since you have white backgrounds.

I would make the page titles in the blue color that you have and keep them in the the center table.

Keep colors down to three of four colors per page.

I like the graphics on the racing page.

Thay are slow to load put don't worry about that too much. I would put a warning to your visitors. Something like

"Images are slow to load. Please be patient"

Good luck in the future

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Martin:
    Please look over the site www.martinsmarine.com
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
    Poof!
    www.gurlpages.com/nolabel/poof/

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few other things I noticed:

+ Why are the photos all .gifs instead of jpegs? I think it makes more sense to have true color jpegs instead of 8bit gifs.
    + The offsite-links on the left-hand-side of the pages are far too dominant IMHO. You should place the links to "Preloved boats", "contact" etc. there instead.
    + The yellow for the visited link doesn't seem like a good choice. You should try to stick to the default colors (blue for unvisited, purple for visited links) or to slight variations thereof.

Hope this helped a little bit.
    jbb
    --
    JBBdesign

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well i must say it looks much better... Take the italics off the entry page though. I didnt have much time to look through everything but it's looking up.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over all it seemed to be pretty easy to navigate. I had a problem with the colors they were a little to bright, which made it a little hard to see clearly. One might look into making the site a little more professinal looking, considering that you are trying to sale boats.