SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my second website. I know the navigation bar on the left doesn't work in netscape & I am working on that now. This site is still under construction.
    www.sclakes.com

Thanks

Michael Martin

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~~~ This site has been approved ~~~

Your menu in the left frame doesn't work in my version of IE 4.01.

You have horizontal scrolling in the main content window. This is not considered good form.

Might think about adding some maps from Mapquest.com so people can actually find the lakes. Maybe even see if you can set up a "plot route" form using maps from Mapquest.

Tell us a little more about the lakes in South Carolina on the home page. What makes your lakes better than the ones closer to my home (Southern California), besides the fact that they are more likely to natural than man-made.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    WR Moderator
    Internet Media Provider

[This message has been edited by wluke (edited April 03, 2000).]

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm working on a DHTML navigation bar to fix the other one. It also will be thinner so you wont have to scroll as much.

I do agree with the maping idea, just havn't gotten that far yet.

I am going to do a description with pictures on each lake on it's home page.

Thanks

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, ready? Starting from the top:

1. Logo - blurry edges, unreadable, fuzzy. Which program do you use? If you need help with it icq me, I can give you a hand.

2. Colors in the menu - rather than making submenus red make them a different shade of blue (lighter). The color combination hurts my eyes. Besides, red is a stronger color than blue. Submenues shouldn't stand out more than the main menu.

3. Imagemap. Horizontal scrolling. No good. Move list of lakes up making it tha main nav. aid and rely on the image map as a visual aid/alternate navigation. If you move the list up try putting it into lake1 | lake2 | lake3 | etc format - less space wasted.

4. Scrolling text is annoying. I agree with wayne - page needs more text and if you take what's in the marquee and put it in a paragraph it will be a good start.

5. Do palm trees and moons in the background have anything to do with the lakes? (Forgive my ignorance if they do )

6. Ouch, just reloaded the page and noticed the text that comes out at you - do you _really_ _really_ need it?

7. The overall color scheme is not very pleasing, it seems harsh. Of course I look at it from an artistic point of view, I tend to be extremely picky when it comes to colors. I would try to use some colors closer to natural - the site is about lakes after all, so give it that feel.

I hope that wasn't too much critisizm. Good luck!

------------------
    Have something to say?
    ICQ#20563633

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am working on a new Navigation menu that should look more appealing.

I also eliminated most if not all of the side scroll& got rid of the marquee.

The cresent moon and palm tree- SC state flag

I like the logo and the text. Does anyone else think it should go?

Thanks for you help

Michael Martin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am glad to see you diving into CSS and Javascript considering it's only your second site. On to the critique...

Your graphics do need some serious work. Also, I would strongly recommend elimanating the frames. Personnaly, I think frames are only good if they add some value to the site. In this case they don't.

IMHO,
    Westmich

[This message has been edited by westmich (edited April 05, 2000).]

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am working on a new layout without the navigator frame. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll have it ready and posted.

Thanks
    Michael Martin

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michael,

Big endeavor, wish you lots of luck with it. SC Lakes are some of the nicest around

I am not a big fan of frames, I am removing them from my site as we speak. Also I enjoy bells and whistles as much as the next guy, but the constant jumping of the menu when you scroll drives me nuts, reminds me of geocities pages and that annoying box in the upper right corner.

I think you graphics are fine, I have no problem with them.

One thing I did find wrong is in the Lake Moulirie main page. The link in the middle of the page disappears when you mouseover, think its due to the blue background of the page.

Just one last thing, what does the store have to do with Sclakes. How about specializing in SC products of something. We all want to make money from our sites, but this just seems a bit to commercial, but thatís just my opinion.

Other than that I like the site, I have bookmarked it as I get back to that area a couple times a year.

Take care

MJR

------------------
    World National Fantasy Basketball Association
    www.wnfba.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the new navigation in place.
    Should I change the color of the bar or is it ok?
    I like the blue but it is a little bright.

Suggestions?

Mike