SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help on a decision: Php or HTML?

I'm bidding for a project and these are the specs:

The client, a medical magazine publisher and information source, has huge plans for making a move to the net. They want to have online conference, prescriptions online and even virtual consultation. Frankly, we don't have the infrastructure to support that kind of development. The computer and internet access per capital in my country is still low.

My proposal is to start building a online presence first before spending the big bucks and struggling to draw in users (medical professional and alike); they don't really have that much of a budget right now, not enough for their initial plans.

I outlined a plan to begin by publishing their archive of article online and maybe starting a message board for both patients and doctors.

My problem is deciding wheter to develop the site in Php or html. The message board in Php is a given. But what about the articles and other pages? The project will probably encompass 30 to 40 pages to begin with. I want to plan the site the site so I can update it easily as well and allow for growth.

If I build it on html, I can do it on my own. If I do go for Php, I'll need to farm that out to some friends and I'm fine with that.

So what do you guys suggest? Build it in html and shift to Php or just start with Php from the very beginning?
    http://www.soapbox101.com

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would recommend going for the php solution if at all possible. what you will have, basically, is a single php document to display a generic article, and the actual articles themselves will be kept elsewhere (either held in a datbaase or as separate "clean" files, i.e. just the text and minimal markup for formatting). this single file will be the one containing all the "look" of your site, plus some php coding to grab the actual articles themselves, slot them into the layout, and display them to the user.
    now, if you need at a later stage (even during your design phase) to change the look/feel/functionality of your articles, you only need to change that one single file (e.g. add another logo in the top), rather than having to go through all your flat html files and change them individually.
    going for php from the start will also make it a lot easier further down the line, if they start having lots of articles, or want more functionality.
    all this in my humble opinion of course. hope it wasn't too confusing
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in complete agreement with redux. Mostly for the reasons he outlined, all of which are quite valid. And, as he said, if it gets much more popular (and complicated) down the line, if you already have the site PHPified, it's going to make it that much easier for you. Additionally, (with your explanation taken into account), if you could build it with MySQL, that would help you out as well, especially later on if the site evolves as you would ultimately like it to.

-Colin
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tip guys!

Yup, looks like it's on to Php..
    http://www.soapbox101.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Do it in PHP, but doctors wanting to do something without a budget, or with a low budget, would scare me.Do a development contract with them and do it in PHP and learn as you go. They have a low budget, apparently, and you need to learn PHP. Work off each other on this. Actually I have a friend working for a medical company doing much of what ur looking at here so a partnership might be the best solution.