SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some time back I requested a review of my site and I want to thank everyone that posted in that thread! It has undergone another facelift, and I'd like to get comments on it agian. The site can be found at http://www.connecttexoma.com/

Some things that we are already discussing internally:
    - The wording of the 'Browse' button. Our target audience is generally newer computer users. This button is used to get into our directory, but is the word 'Browse' the right word to convey that message? We had 'Yellow Pages' there before, but I'm afraid that may be too long for the text under the icons on the other pages.
    - The link/text color. I currently have it set to a range of blues. My wife the art major has suggested purples, which is the opposite color on the color wheel. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance! We're just about ready to start advertising this site to the public, and I personally feel this face is the best by far!

Hatton Humphrey
    Connect Texoma.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~~~ The site has been approved ~~~

------------------
    Eric Jones - WR Moderator / Administrator
    http://www.computermoles.com
    "Digging up the best in computer software!"

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well since you have a very noticeable rollover associated with each link on the main page you shouldn't have to worry about novice users mistaking the meaning.

The link colors are good to me. Yellow and the soft blue go well together.

The only thing I didn't like is the "Featured Listings" and "Other Listings" subtitles on pages with only one listing on them. The "Featured Listings" heading should be invisible unless there are actully featured listings.

You should also place your copyright message and the address to the webmaster, or some other means of contact, on every page not just the first one.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    Internet Media Provider

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This site could have more promise to it. It doesn't look to professinal. But don't get me wrong, it doesn't have too. And I understand if this is your first web site.
    But there are good points, it loads fast at least for me, I do have a cable modem...
    Mayb fix the fingers in the image, the look a little jagged.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, well, you have a nice, clean cut site! It does not look very proffesional, but it does in a way! I do not like all of the little banners, one or two maybe, but not as many as you have! I also like the mouse rollovers, they are nice! The colors look good togethor, I would leave them as they are, I mean it is a "Yellow" Pages webpage! So, it matches your theme, well, keep up the good work!

------------------
    Taylor a.k.a ReSSure
    Email: twp@beer.com
    URL: twp3.cjb.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    win 98 ie 5.x

first off the full yellow backgroud hurts my eyes. i'd break up up somehow with differant boxes or some other form of yellow.

see if you can't speed up the mouseover effects with the menu items. i found i had to wait too many seconds while the description picture loaded up.

i'd play with the design of your deeper pages. they seem too cookie cutter html for me. i'd also look at DB the information that you have and using more of a DB driven site.

------------------
    Eric Jones - WR Administrator
    http://www.sitepoint.com
    eric@sitepoint.com
    ICQ 1215804 (mention WR)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I'm a junior member. I've designed my own web site (parentingadolescents.com) but don't have no formal design training--just so you know! I viewed your site in W95 in IE5 browser. My main objection is the slow "rollver" time for themouse effects--the middle-page oval switched to an appropriate message when my mouse was over "Directory," but when I switched the mouse, the message did not switch with it. This was quite annoying. Also the faded-top letters in your logo at upper left corners of your pages looks to this unsophisticated eye more like a graphics mistake than an intentional design feature. I would also add "TITLE=""" tags to your links in your HTML so that IE5 would display a text message for each link. I liked what I saw when I tested out some pages in the directory--it really IS faster and easier to look up something on your online page than in the regular phone book. Good service idea!

------------------
    Parenting Adolescents
    ---Where parents & teens get expert answers for free.---

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PS: Argh! I may have no design experience, but I DON'T have "no" design experience! Sorry about that! (It's getting too late to be doing this, I'd better go to bed.)

------------------
    Parenting Adolescents
    ---Where parents & teens get expert answers for free.---

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The yellow was a little off-putting. Also, admittedly this doesn't really matter, as it's a site for residents of Texoma, but where the hell IS Texoma?!? I'm British, so excuse my ignorance. The rollover gifs did take a while to load - I've used a similar effect on one of my sites and found that by just using text it loads a lot quicker (but doesn't look as good). Also, one of the gifs didn't load, and made it look quite amateur. Not that I'm a pro or anything! Also, the way the buttong banners are positioned put them on an equal footing with the menu - I don't think that this should be the case. Furthermore, the one animated gif (the flower) looks out of place with the other static ones. I think it should be all on eor the other (I personally prefer non-animated gifs). Hope that helps!

------------------
    The Fixed Odds Forum
    http://members.tripod.co.uk/ffo/