Eric Jones - WR Moderator / Administrator
    http://www.computermoles.com
    "Digging up the best in computer software!"

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would get rid off the two demo buttons on the front page (unless they serve a very imortant purpose). Those two pages can be accessed from the products page, and I dont see a real need to put all your links out on the front page. MHO, of course.

From the way the front page is laid out its hard to tell that buttons are actually split up into two categories, it took me 3 visits to figure it out. I would suggest splitting it up somehow, and highliting the section titles. (same thing for the navigation on the rest of the site: buttons smaller titles bigger). And YES YES YES, rollovers are good!

Big 'homemembers' button on the top right confused me (jeez, maybe just a bad day? ) as well as the sentence links on the front page.

Ok, thats all for now, hope this helps

::temis

ps. cant stop thinking about the front page... maybe if you did something like this:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">code/font><HR><pre>
    IPBusiness | Some text links,
    Services | news, etc
    Buttons |
    |
    ---------------------------
    IPS LOGO | the pretty picture
    ----------------------------
    some more | Website
    tex links | Services
    maybe news | Buttons
    whatever |
    [/code]

I think front page calls for thin lines, slick appearance, and all that good stuff. Sorry I had to comment on it, I just can't get it out of my head...

[This message has been edited by temis (edited February 29, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by temis (edited February 29, 2000).]

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the site if only I had a bigger monitor - as it is my 640x480 makes for horizontal scrolling most of the time.

And on your other pages where there are frames, the verical navigation takes up 1/3 of my page so viewing it is difficult. Such as your banner page, I could only see the banner samples half of the time - right scroll/left scroll.

I know that most designers are going for the larger resolution, but I hope that they try to design for all.

Lastly, on your home page you are using 'sentence' links within your paragraphs - I could see the source defining the page link but using links to 'words' rather than entire sentences in a paragraph may confuse some, as they won't truly know what they are 'clicking to' - It looked like the entire paragraph was only one link...

Love your logo, colors and design...although it was a slow load - I only can connect to 26.4K and I'm sure that the Gears were the culprit - But that was the part I liked the best

Yours is a site that I would bookmark and did...

------------------
    WebKat's PawPrints
    Professional Photographers of Sacramento Valley

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are right. I should distinguish Products from Services on the Home page. I see how you got confused. If it was my first visit to the site, I would get confused also.

I am not sure I need to change the layout of the Home page. There was a reason for such layout (i.e. the space in the top right corner will soon have paid advertising in it, and etc.)

As far as highlighting buttons, I am really considering doing that. The only think that is stopping me is 'load time'. There are lots of images as is, and highlighting would mean doubling or tripling the amount of images. I'm afraid that site's performance will take a major hit.

How does the site load on your machines? Does it take a while?

Eugene.
    http://www.interprosolution.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you think adding Links and Books to my Webmaster Forums was a good idea?

Eugene.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got confused at the first page - couldnt tell where the links are, since they are the same color as text. I dont want to run my mouse over every word on the page to find a link.

The rest of the pages looked nice, except I would move the banner to the bottom of your pages.

Also, I didnt really like the forums in the frame, maybe you should open a new window for that.

Other than that, I liked your site a lot, good job.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks WebKat and temis for your reviews. I agree, the site is highly graphical and might take a while to load on slower connections. It also looks better with resolutions of 800x600 and above. It was very hard to fine-tune it to look good for every resolution, and we were forced to draw the line somewhere.

As far as the links on the home page: originally, the buttons where intended to be used for navigation. Later, we decided to have a short review of our services in the left part of home page, and then we decided to link each sentence (or phrase) to its respective service.

Are these links confusing?

Do you think I should animate the home page somehow? Maybe highlight the buttons on mouseover, or something. It seems to me that the home page would look better, if it was more interactive. What do you think?

Eugene Grinberg.

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The first thing I would do is center your design on the page. Being on the left of the page is fine for a real tabular page design, but for a graphical interface like yours I would suggest centering to make it more effective.

Make your IPS logo stand out a little more and make the company name stand out some more. I had to hunt for that, and I don't know if I would want to deal with an "advertising" company (since essentially that's the first impression on the service you're providing) that doesn't display themselves more prominently.

Watch your color scheme a little bit. The "The way to improve your business" and the "Internet Promotion Business Solution" are very hard to read. Try to find a better way to make them stand out. Add a little more color than just light blue and white. Even some darker shades of blue would be more effective.

Going into the rest of your site now....

I think I like the navigation system on the overview page better than the one on the main page. Personal opinion though.

I don't like that the demos open new windows. And I guess I couldn't see quickly what these demos were supposed to show me. The demos need a better explanation for what they are and what they are for (in my case I don't do a lot of websites to make money or get a broad advertising base. I do mostly niche work for non-profits. What would your products and services do for me??)

I hope this doesn't seem too negative. Your design is one of the more original I've seen, and it looks like you've spent a good amount of time with the design. I just have the problems with it I listed above which I think take away from the effectiveness of it.

------------------
    Dave Maxwell
    www.keystonecapitalchorus.org
    www.trademarkquartet.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Dave, for your review. I think you have a GREAT idea about centering the home page. Very good suggestion! I'll do it in a short while.

We are an internet promotion company and one of our services is a product which we developed and are currently selling. This product allows others to run their own promotion businesses. This is explained on the Overview and Products pages. I think there is sufficient explanation to understand how the demos are used. The Business Solution Demo has a Help link on each page, which explains its purpose and how it is used.

Although, I agree with your about the fact that the color scheme is a bit light, I like the colors, and I am thinking of ways to make the home page more bright and interactive. Do you think highlighting buttons (with a warmer color) on mouseover would help?

Thanks.
    Eugene Grinberg

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, I think that mouseovers would make the site more interesting.

I would also consider either moving your links onto the left of the first page and into one column like your subpages, or moving your links on your sub pages to the right like your main page(bad idea if you ask me, but that's MHO). I always find it a bit disconcerting to have to hunt the links, even if they are blatenly(sp?) obvious. I don't want to have to keep looking around for where the links are and I usually bolt pretty quickly if it happens.

Sorry about the comment about the demos. The overview and the products page really didn't catch my attention. I didn't realize they were actual products. I assumed they were generic services which your company provided.

This just got me thinking...maybe you need to rethink the message your site conveys. When I look at it, I get the feeling you are trying to promote your COMPANY and SERVICES overall, but your reply to me inferred you were advertising PRODUCTS. That message didn't get to me at all. You may need to relook at the overview and products page to make that message a little clearer. New product names might help if you're not stuck on what you call them now. But again, that's just my perspective as someone who's never utilized this type of service before.

I hope this rambling isn't too confusing...

------------------
    Dave Maxwell
    www.keystonecapitalchorus.org
    www.trademarkquartet.com

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, being on a t-1 i can safely say that your site is fast

JavaScript Guru (Big Ego) Arielladog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your site was a bit slow loading, but it wasn't that bad and very good considering the amount of graphics. When I fiirst came to website, Ithought your regular text was dark blue and links llight blue, but I found out some links are dark blue. This will probably confuse people a litte, underline links so people don't have to move their mouseover them because I don't feel like going through and going over every text with my mouse to see if it is a link or not. You might want to try adding a rollover immage link, perhaps making the button red, on the first page and in the menu bar on the other pages. The site does look very useful to me, and it looks very neat.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think is site is one of the most original and helpful to webmasters than I have ever seen. Great job!!!

I really like the Promotion Tools of the site. I have never seen anything like the Keyword Analyzer and I think it is an amazing idea.

As far as the design goes, I think you need to spice up the home page. Maybe rollovers would do the trick.

I bookmarked your site and expect to use it alot. Great job!

mouse monkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your design a lot but I didn't even notice that there was text links on th efront page until I read someone's review in the forum. I loaded pretty quick on a 56k modem and everything fited on th epage in a 800x600 resolution.

To liven it up a bit I would add a mousover effect on the buttons. Other than that a very pleasing site.

Fletch

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, well, you have a very nice page, but I have a few suggestions!
    1. I do not like the splash page, I think that it would look better if you started off with the frames!
    2. After I go to the frames, the bottom ones I cannot see, without doing full screen in my browser. I would just recommend to have the scroller on auto!
    3. I think that the banners should be placed in the top seperate frame, that way, it will be out of our way, but we can still see and click it all of the time!
    Well, these are just my opinions! Oh, and one last thing, shouldn't the copyright be 1999 and 2000? Well, keep up the good work!

------------------
    Taylor a.k.a ReSSure
    Email: twp@beer.com
    URL: twp3.cjb.net

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the "splash"/"home" page is really cool. I really like how it is laid out (the globe, the New York skyline, the buttons).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are redesigning the buttons on the Home page and the menu page. New version will light up on mouseover. I hope it will make the pages more interactive.

Thanks for your suggestion guys.

Eugene Grinberg http://www.interprosolution.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Very professional web site, but some work is needed as other members have stated above. Our company might be interested in a partnership, please visit http://instantsites.com and tell me what you think of what we offer.

Sincerely,

David Seaman
    InstantSites CEO http://www.instantsites.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

surfed the site with aol 5, 28bps.
    The most annoying facet was the automatic resizing of windows. Usually I size my browser's window 2/3 of the screen (good enough for most sites). Didn't mind resizing to maximum for your site, but became annoyed when the popped windows (eg, help link in customer solution demo) resized back down and then back up for the main frame window. Also, when leaving your site, I had to close all of the popped windows. Perhaps you should consider closing them if they lose focus().
    Regarding the images and home page, yes they loaded slowly -- but at 28bps, you expect that. Also, I could be see the first "The" in your logo; it tended to blend in with the background.
    I enjoyed the ragged left text: unconventional and reminiscent of poetry -- implies innovation & spirit. The text links don't bother me, maybe because I knew they were there. If you put bullets or arrows before the text and use them as the links, it should make more people happy and keep your design intact.
    Re the forums: I didn't mind them being in a frame -- until I scrolled down and lost the column headings. True, after repeat visits I wouldn't be fazed.

Vinny

------------------
    GrassBlade: cut&paste javascript

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Vinny for your review. I just have a few comments.

The only pop-up windows in the site are the Demos of our product. So, I would not be too worried about visitors having to close those windows.

I was glad to hear that you liked the description of our services on the 'home page'. It took many hours and many pieces of paper to arrive at those couple of paragraphs.

I am not exactly sure I understood your comment about our discussion forums. Maybe you can clarify it for me.

Thanks,
    Eugene.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like the page, i have only one thing for critics. i donīt like pop ups and i donīt know how other users think about pop ups.

why donīt you integrate the pop ups into your frameset as on the other sublevels ?

rgds,
    markus http://www.webtipz.com