SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to "push" a window to the desktop

I've seen support applications that allow a window to be "pushed" to the visitor's desktop at the election of the remote support person. This seems to be related to javascript. Does someone have a non-technical layman's explanation of how this is accomplished?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remote support person invoking javascript on client?

Please explain more

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that is what it looks like, but I hope that is not what is really happening. Here are the steps:

(1)Vistor arrives at a page
    (2)Support person sees the ip address of the visitor on their screen
    (3)Support person initiates a "push" action which causes a screen to open on the clients PC

I suspect that there is some sort of polling action going on from the client which detects a setting and then opens the window - but who knows.

------------
    Perhaps I just noticed another example: When I buy a new domain from my registrar they tell me to wait and then "push" me to a success or failure page when my cc is finished processing. Might be a similar process - I've also wondered how they do this.
    Last edited by DenverDave; Oct 5, 2002 at 14:21.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Visitor arrives (& log in)
    2. Support person can view all active sessions / logged in users, and identify a specific user and set some property: "show message" or whatever
    I don't think the IP address is enough to identify a visitor
    3. In the page that the visitor requested, there is a script that (e.g. every minute) sends a request to the server: "should I pop up a message or not?"
    3b. Or the visitor has to reload the page to get the message

Example, no support person involved, but the principle is the same:
    "With Exchange 2000 SP2, users of Internet Explorer 5.0 or later receive notifications when new mail arrives in their Inbox. The notification architecture uses a “subscribe and poll” method— the browser subscribes for changes in the Inbox folder, and then polls on a frequency to check for those changes. For users of Internet Explorer 5.0, the notification appears in the form of an icon on the navigator bar. For users of Internet Explorer 5.5 or later, the notification appears in the system tray in addition to on the navigation bar. The browser window does not automatically refresh — users must click the notification to refresh the window."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The polling must be as you describe. It does seem to work with I.E. 5.0 without any action by the visitor other than being on the initial page - they don't have to refresh - I can push a new window anytime.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the "The browser window does not automatically refresh" part of the polling function for Exchange Webmail is not because it's impossible in IE5+, but because you don't want to reload the page without asking the user, just notify and display a link to the inbox
    It's not complicated at all to write a polling function that reloads the page, opens new windows, tries to close the current window etc after receiving info from the server
    And it's not limited to IE, you can do it in Mozilla too (but of course MS didn't spend too much time on the Outlook Web Access interface for other browsers than IE )

Curious: Are you the "support person"? What application are you using to "push a new window anytime"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm testing out a demo of PHP Live Helper which I found on Hotscripts:

http://www.turnkeywebtools.com/produ...=phplivehelper

I'm not sure what I am in this situation, I just thought the push technology was interesting and might be of benefit in some situations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool tool

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased the tool and I have been able to get the push to work, but I'm still having problems getting the visitors to automatically show up in the monitoring window.

Anyone else running phplivehelper ?