SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Printing Supplies and Office Products Site

I am developing an office products / printing supplies / printer parts website and would like some feedback on the design and content of the site. If you click on an item, would you feel safe safe ordering that product based on the look of the site? For example, if I personally went to some random site on the internet and the site looked weird, I wouldn't order anything.

Thanks for your input ahead of time! https://www.oregonofficeparts.com/ .

PS: Also, what do you think of the OOPS acronym?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there, I think the site looks dead on. It wouldn't put me off at all, looks like how it should look like in my opinion.

The logo though I'm not completely convinced about. I like the idea but maybe not the implementation. It's a good idea because it's sticky and will make me remember your site but because the word is associated with an accident, you need to be careful how you use it. VERY Especially I'd recommend removing oops from the page title because if I look at the tab with your page open in my browser it looks like it's a page not found type warning. I'd definately remove that.

I wish I could be more help with suggestions of what to do with oops but I'm crap with things like that. All I can say is be careful where you use oops, try to use your full name more than the acronym.

Other than that the site looks dead on. Easy to find what I want and I like the banner pictures and the way it changes, all looks very modern and nice. Good work I'd say!

Is it rude to ask your opinion on my site? No-one's replied yet http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...reviews-wanted

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks trustworthy - the design wouldn't stop me from buying from you. However, you might want to change the add to cart button. It's not off-putting, but it looks like a hijacked comment box (I know that's probably your intent, but I don't get it...). If it weren't for the text I wouldn't know what it does without thinking about it.

Additionally, the website looks cluttered, especially the top area above the blue menu bar. I can identify two causes: elements don't (often) align, and a lot of unimportant elements are emphasized too much. Think about what elements go together, and merge them into one visual block, so each element doesn't have to compete against the other (eg, resize the logos (and maybe phone number) in the upper right so they're roughly the same height / weight). Also, that bright blue gives your site a strong, happy identity, but don't use it on elements that aren't very important, especially if they're also large / bold.

If the twitter widget has to be bigger than your logo then you can't put it on the same line (the +1 widget isn't so bad, but I would still shrink/move it too). And I'm not sure why the top grey area is above the rest of the page - shouldn't your motto and brands come after who you are?

The acronym isn't bad in my opinion, but definitely don't put it as the first word in the title. As barricades said, this can make tabs or search results look like error pages, especially if you can only see the first few letters. (maybe you could mitigate this by writing "O.O.P.S."?)

One final note - make sure you don't have any unclear wording or layout glitches, however small. After a minute of looking around I noticed two things: first, on slide 1 of the homepage slideshow, the navigation dots obscures some of the text. No big deal, but can you imagine amazon doing that? Second, on most details pages you have a purple-themed box saying "Buy a lot of parts?". I'm not sure what that says immediately - I want to think it means "Buying a lot of parts?". Maybe it would be better to say "Buy parts often?" or something else slightly clearer.

Overall, not a bad or shady looking website. But you need to decide what's important on each page, and let the rest fade out a bit.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it looks perfectly fine. When opening the product page there is relevant image with its price and details at down there looks awesome, the color scheme is almost attractive anyone can see what he is looking for.
    Last edited by Stevie D; Feb 23, 2012 at 15:16. Reason: Fake signature deleted

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say its pretty decent shopping portal. The choice of color is excellent. Since there is a menu bar in all the screens, there is no need of displaying categories again at the left side of the page. It consumes space and moreover it repeats the same information again.

The overall design is a bit amateurish. for example: about oops and contact should be separated from the categories list. The logo design is below average. The page as a whole seems to be crowded. And as said by skier88, you need to fade out the things which are not important

Nandakumar
    <snip />
    Last edited by guido2004; Feb 24, 2012 at 07:37. Reason: email removed

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. I would make the oops into a more 3dimensional look stock-photo-17872939-speech-bubbles.jpg or do something, a shadow or effect to make that logo come out of that background. It looks too "dead" as it is,

and since most of your site looks spot on to compete with one of the major sites for office supplies, those small details stand out.

2. On that note, I like seeing some picture of an actual person or product that is not a stock picture. I understand that most items and images are better served by stock images but say on the homepage, if it's possible and you guys are a business with a storefront, that some real photography is featured in the homepage of the site. in my opinion, it gives it that last touch of legitimacy and makes it a real business to the user.

Looks really good though, good job! this is one of out of the box e-carts, right?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the design was great, if I had a need for office supplies, I probably wouldn't be deterred from buying from your site. It looks professional and trustworthy. I also find the "OOPS" my supplies ran out and other headers like that funny haha.
    '
    I agree with the previous poster, all of the stock images on your site arent helping. You need to get pictures and other minor details that will help you stand out!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Straight away I see I like the site.

However I personally strongly feel that the Featured menu bar needs to be a blue colour in line with the menu bar, to me the featured bar looks out of place. I just feel that the featured box doesnt look quite right. Maybe it shoud be taller too, like twice the size or maybe 3.

Other than that it is pretty great site really

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In your homepage slideshow, "sometimes grounds not fast enough", correct the spelling to "ground's".

If you're going to play on your acronym "oops", I'd like to see visuals to support it - like visual puns... Otherwise it doesn't make much of an impression to me. How about dropping the "S" from your logo -that way you're not implying your company is an "oops!" itself and I think your play on it would work out better when you add an "s" to OOP. Somehow I think you need to work the whole concept of oops better.

I'd like to see your tagline to the right of your logo, not above it.

The main nav needs a stronger treatment - looks too light to me. The search box seems too big. Don't need links to the cart and checkout there - the link above is enough.

I would like to see more trust - your version of Secured by GeoTrust has nowhere near the effect on me as their official seal does.

The brand logos at top are too faint. FedEx gets more emphasis!

The "featured" header Could be bigger, bolder...

Thanks for allowing me to review your site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clear and clean design, focus in product, faster respond and no much accessorizes
    overall is awesome, well done good job