SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: MS SQL vs MySQL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MS SQL vs MySQL

Whats the difference between the two (MSSQL and MySQL)?
    Memento Mori

morphine for a wooden leg randem's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MS SQL Server is a bloatware beast run by a capitalist empire, while MySQL represents freedom of choice and unity.
    Down with Microsoft!!

Okay, okay, seriously, though:

MS SQL is a nearly -if not fully- ANSI SQL compliant database server with full-featured syntax, support for transactions, triggers, stored procedures, views, and so on.

By comparison, MySQL is not quite as feature-rich, and not as comprehensive in its support for the standard SQL language, features, etc.

MS SQL runs on Windows server platform only (except in the case of the new, slightly crippled, personal developer version) whereas MySQL is capable of running on just about any operating system you can think of.

MS SQL comes with a huge price tag when compared to MySQL being free. Of course with price comes support.

MySQL has been steadily adding features over their last few revisions, including support for transactions and such, but since many of these features are relatively new I wouldn't stake a critical decision on -for instance- the presence of transaction support.

On a performance level, MySQL is just about the fastest thing available to anyone who is doing mostly SELECT operations. However for more SQL-rich applications, MS SQL will handle heavy loads better.

Also, as far as I am aware, recent versions of MS SQL Server support XML-based queries and results whereas MySQL does not.

That's my input. I'm sure some others will have even more to add.
    ----Adopt-a-Sig----
    Your message here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Thats pretty well everything I wanted to know. The one thing you didnt answer, because I didnt ask, could I run a forum thats made for PHP and MySQL with MS SQL?
    Memento Mori

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, unless it was designed to use a database abstraction layer and sacrifices speed and reliability for the cross-platform abilities.

Here is my comments on the issue of MySQL vs. MS-SQL...

http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=78952
    Last edited by Hierophant; Oct 9, 2002 at 20:58.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard from someone that PHP CANNOT connect to MS SQL, is there a runour or are there some issues about them running with eachother ?
    Last edited by xyuri; Oct 10, 2002 at 19:42.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you have to compile the capability to access MS SQL into PHP. It doesn't have it by default.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by W. Luke
    Well you have to compile the capability to access MS SQL into PHP. It doesn't have it by default.
    Just for technical correctness...

MS SQL support is present in PHP on Windows, but you have to add it by hand on other platforms.
    ----Adopt-a-Sig----
    Your message here!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Besides randem's, once again, rant, they are both good databases.

MySQL is really the "little boy" of the two. SQL Server is designed with the Enterprise in mind. If you can get past that, and realise that that's what it's for, most of randem's comments suddenly become worthless.

It's fast. It's stable. It's easy to work with. It's secure. It's incredibly scalable (I havne't seen any MySQL Data Warehouses around...) and is one of the top 3-4 databases in the world for high-end stuff.

MySQL is fast, stable, alright to work with (especially from PHP).

So, yeah, look at them on paper they may seem to be the same but they aren't. Anyone who's done Enterprise stuff will say that MySQL just isn't up there. That's not a shot at MySQL, as it does what it's designed to do, same as SQL Server.

Problem is they were designed to do 2 different things. One is Enterprise, one is Entry to Medium level db's

What do you want to know, what's the project, why do you ask?
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Jeremy W.
    Besides randem's, once again, rant, they are both good databases.
    I don't know what the hell your problem is. You obviously simply have some sort of prejudice toward me. There was no rant. In fact, I believe my response was quite objective and played to no favorites.

If you can get past that, and realise that that's what it's for, most of randem's comments suddenly become worthless.
    You must be referring to the comments I made such as "MS SQL has more complete and more robust support for standards based SQL" and "MS SQL supports XML stuff whereas MySQL does not."

Whatever. Grow up.

There is no holy war here. I make no attempt to hide the fact that I dislike Microsoft, their business practices, or what they stand for. However, I still have to use Microsoft products at work, and blindly objecting to things because of their manufacturer is just as unqualified a decision as betting on the Bengals to win the Super Bowl.

Microsoft does some things right. COM/OLE was pretty nice, and there are some good sides to the .net languages. And in fairness, I think you'd have to be retarded not to get from my response above that I think MS SQL is a more mature, more enterprise-ready database server. The only real advantages I gave for MySQL were 1)price tag, and 2)speed (in strictly SELECT queries).

You've obviously got a serious dislike for me. I'd like to know why. If you're a man, message me in private, or email me, and we can discuss whatever it is that you don't like. Otherwise, you can continue to be a child and follow me from topic to topic making unnecessary insults at my attempts to help answer peoples questions.
    ----Adopt-a-Sig----
    Your message here!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, my post wasn't a slam of you at all. Your opening line was a scarcky slam on MS is all.

My "most of randem's comments suddenly become worthless" bit was because some of your comments were:

SQL Server is expensive, only runs on Windows, etc.

Actually, reading back on it I may have read more into your post than you intended. I'll stand down. I was wrong. Sorry mate

My opinoin on the entire matter is to fit the tool to the job. I use both DBMS's, as well as Interbase, Access and pgSQL on various projects. I choose what's appropriate, as I hope the original poster will as well.
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright