SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need to write a program in Javascript. Where do I start?

I'm not a programmer. I'm really starting from scratch

I need to draw a picture by overlaying many png files. To describe what I want the program to do I'll use a car as an example and pretend that I'm a car salesman (I'm not)

I'm a car salesman and I want to show people the car that they want to buy. I want to assemble a picture of the car depending on what color and accessories they want

I'll have several transperancies of diffent items such as

green car
    red car
    blue car
    mag wheels
    standard wheels
    chrome bumper
    black bumper
    tinted windows
    clear windows

I'd like a Javascript program that the customer can draw a green car with standard wheels and tinted windows and a chrome bumper

Has anyone seen a website that does similar to what I described?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know what you mean. It probably will require the use of conditions and arrays in Javascript. I myself am new to Javascript by making baby steps, which is better then no steps at all.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have seen something similar here http://www.autowaretech3.net/nextwheels/andys_ecomm.htm hope it helps out.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can someone please write an example of the program so that I can modify it?

As I said, I know nothing about programming and I donít know if thatís an unreasonable request.

I donít know if this program would take 10 minutes or 2 days.

Attached are png files that can be assembled to draw a blue, red, or green car with 2 types of wheels, 2 types of window and 2 different backgrounds.

Thanking you
    Attached Images Attached Images

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your best bet is to put the picture together with each layer except the base layer hidden. Then based on the selection of the user you would hide the visible layer and show the selection. I would use jquery to accomplish the task but I am only a novice in javascripting. It would take me a day or so to do this but you could get it done really quickly by someone who is proficient in scripting. If you don't mind paying for the code you can post your request on ELance.com or try posting in the Javascript forum here at Sitepoint and someone there can help you more.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmorgan1959 View Post
    If you don't mind paying for the code you can post your request on ELance.com or try posting in the Javascript forum here at Sitepoint and someone there can help you more.
    Thank you I may do that. I didn't know where to look. You also confirmed my suspition. It good programmer can do this in a short time.