SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using Java app to simulate user browing

I'm working on an app to automatically retrieve my transaction info from my financial website (ccards and banks). (I know Money and Quicken can do this. I don't like them.) I'm essentially just sending a URL a POST and getting back a response. I can capture header info and all that to return session IDs and stuff. My problem is this...

After you login to some sites, they display a temporary page saying "Please wait while....". (I think some of those pages use javascript to submit a totally hidden form.)How do I get past that page to the actual site with my account options?

Any ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would probably be easier to login to your account using your regular web browser, then export the data (CVS form most likely) from the website. Then use your Java applet/whatever you want to parse that data,

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Easier in the short run, but...

I completely agree that logging in manually is the simple approach. I've built parsers to take care of the QIF files from different accounts, and the way you described is the way I currently go about retrieving my information; however, my goal is to have all the work done automatically.

Anyone have any suggestions on automated web browser simulation through Java?