SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Resident OCD goofball! bronze trophy Serenarules's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oracle Idiot here...

Ok, I need to learn oracle for a project. I have 11g XE installed, but I can't make heads or tails of what should be even the simplest operations. All I need to do is set up a db for the project and set a user for it. All the documents I've read on it are pages long and way out of my league. Aren't there simple one-two liners, like in MySql, to get things up and running?

Avid Logophile silver trophy
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I think Oracle was designed to make EVERYONE feel like an idiot.
    Is this helpful?
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Git is for EVERYONE
    Literally, the best app for readers.
    Make Your P@ssw0rd Secure
    Leveraging SubDomains

Resident OCD goofball! bronze trophy Serenarules's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! It was helpful, but not in the way you'd think. I actually wasn't aware of the SqlDeveloper tool at all. I downloaded and installed that. After an inspection of the existing db and commands did I realize the differences between oracle and other databases.

- In other systems, you create a new db, then add users/priviledges to that.
    - In oracle you just add new users, and specify a tablespace within the master db.
    - In oracle, creating a tablespace is essentially a new db in that connections made by a user with right will only see tables in that space.

Kind of awkard, but it works.