User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pound symbols not showing properly

Hi there,

I am trying to edit some code in a MySQL database.

The problem is with the '' symbols. They appear as a question mark in a black diamond shape. Previous problems like this were solved by deleting the pasted in text and writing it again. For example when I pasted into MySQL the ' symbol it had the same problem. When I deleted it and wrote it again it it appeared successfully.

But this rewriting technique does not work with symbols. Why is this? the problem code is below:

PHP Code:
    <div class="style1"><p>Snooper AURA Speed Camera Subscription PLUS Speed Limit updates</p></div>
    <
    div class="richtext3"><p>As well as providing up to the minute speed trap information you will also be able to update the speed limit data on Snooper MY-SPEED as wellTo ensure that Snooper MY-SPEED is kept up to date you will have the opportunity to update the speed limit information stored on their device once a year.</p>
    <
    p>1. Monthly 3.99 incvat per month</p><p>2. Quarterly 10.49 inc vat every 3 months</p><p>3. Annual 39.99 inc vat every 12 months</p><p>Minimum subscription period 12 months.</p></div>
    <
    div class="style1"><p>What's in the box? (when purchased from ActiveGPS.co.uk)</p></div> 
    Hope you can help,

Matt.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Matt,

Special characters like the pound sign, have a specific html entity assigned to them which they required to be wrote as to be shown correctly.
    For example the pound's character entity is & #163;( withouth the space ) or &pound;. So if u replace all the pound signs with either or &pound; they should be shown correctly.

The entities always start with a '&' and end with a ';' with the value in between like '#163' or 'pound'.

There are quite a few lists that show quite some HTML entity's summed up, for example:
    http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/char...amsupp_69.html

Not exactly sure why ' worked correctly when you rewrote it, though some characters like that do just work directly.

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will depend upon your encoding being used and accepted on the servers and what document you copy-and-pasted from I suspect you attempted to paste a curved quote ’ or something rather than a standard ' symbol.

The 'replacement character' � (often a black diamond with a white question mark) a symbol found in the Unicode standard at codepoint U+FFFD in the Specials table.